Halloween night ride: swinley forest

patchesuk
patchesuk Posts: 96
edited November 2010 in MTB rides
So, I can;t believe I didn;t think of this earlier.. and I know this is very last minute:

But is anyone up for a Halloween Night Ride Sunday 31st (tomorrow... I know!).

Could meet at the Lookout at 7:30 and go for a potter about.

Otherwise if too short notice we coudl arrange a belated nightride next Friday evening.

Any takers?
Think I need a bigger Garage.

Comments

• I could do next Friday.
    Not an experience night rider so don't expert crazy speed from me on the single tracks but I will give it a go
    To late for today and as I have just ridden a 42 km route in the downs south this morning, I am not sure if my legs would enjoy it ;-)
    Feel free to email/pm me if you are doing it
    Focus First 2010
  • Yeah ! I'm a fan of Swinley night rides.

I'm yet to confirm my shifts for this week , if i'm free , definately up for it ! 8)
  • I am still waiting for my torch to come back from repair but assuming it is back by Friday. I am in!!!
    Focus First 2010
  • Cool, I've not done a night ride in a fair few years, but reckon I can get a few more people as well.
  • Just so there's no misunderstandings , I'm a Swinley regular , but I still can't find my way around to save my life ! :wink:
  • Stan Leigh wrote:
    Just so there's no misunderstandings , I'm a Swinley regular , but I still can't find my way around to save my life ! :wink:

No to worry. My dog always find her way back to the car park :wink:
    Failing that I am usually pretty good although I have never trial my skills in the dark
    I guess I will have to take my Garmin just in case :wink:
    Focus First 2010
  • When are you lot going? I have never done a night ride before and my lights are not exactly great but I would be interested!! - Do you have to have bright fancy lights?
  • Are we going for a 7;30pm start on Friday ?

Weather forecast is looking good , petty much like tonight .

Can I suggest we park over the road in the tennis place , left then left -the corner nearest the entrance . Look Out car park is a car thieve's paradise now it's so dark . 8)

There's a couple of us out in Swinley Wednesday evening 6pm , all welcome .

@ Ollie . I've got a spare cateye your welcome to borrow to back up what you've got . It's not brilliant , but it did me fine last year 8)
  • The tennis car park sounds like a plan. 7:30 start sounds good too. Not that I imagine a lot of riders rocking up on that car park, but I'll be driving a Silver Vectra estate for reference.

Clint.
  • Assuming that I get my torch back in time I will be there.
    I drive a black pickup (Nisaan Navara) and will have a dalmatian bouncing around in impetiance to go running in the woods.
    Focus First 2010
  • See you tomorrow night , I'm in a tatty old honda & riding a white Trek HT. 8)
  • I'm not going to be able to make this one as ive been roped into fireworks .. I think we should maybe organise another one though, there are afew people that went on a day ride a few weeks back that would proberbly be interested in going!!
  • French_Aristo
    French_Aristo Posts: 83
    edited November 2010
    I'm not going to be able to make this one as ive been roped into fireworks .. I think we should maybe organise another one though, there are afew people that went on a day ride a few weeks back that would proberbly be interested in going!!

I still haven't received my lights back so I might not make it either but we could make this a Friday night feature or once a month at least with maybe December to March exception as the ground freeze in the night and it is getting dangerous (and freaking cold too)

Just to give you an idea, this is a typical route I do in daytime during winter as it although is it mostly single track it does stay mostly usable during the wet and cold months.
    I would half that on a night ride. At least during winter...

http://connect.garmin.com:80/activity/embed/55472781
    Focus First 2010
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Think something got lost in the interpretation.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Couple of us from another forum are out in Swinley this evening 6.30pm Coral Reef carpark . :wink:
  • Now confirmed. No lights for me until mid week next week :(
    So I won't be able to make it this Friday but if anyone is up for it I should be able to do next Friday
    Focus First 2010
  • Looking like me & you patchesuk , you still ok for tomorrow evening ? :?
  • It's upto you mate... could wait till next Friday for more poeple? I'd have been up for joining this evening but had work commitments.
  • Tell you what , let's postpone a week cus we're clashing with bombfire night & the weather forecast is bad tomorrow evening. :(
  • Ok mate. I can probably get a few more people for next week as well anyway!

I'll do a role call mid week in this topic.
  • Stan Leigh
    Stan Leigh Posts: 168
    edited November 2010
    Me + 1 out in Swinley tomorrow evening . Coral Reef carpark , 6pm . Anybody care to join us ? 8)
  • If I didn't have a parenst evening to do, I'd have tagged along. Any others planned for in the week?
  • Friday's my next free evening , we can try the belated halloween thing again.

Check out the Swinley Forest thread on MTB Britain . They get out once or twice a week , a good bunch to be with who really know their way around.

See you Friday possibly . Stan 8)
  • Ok, so just doing a role call for those who are riding tomorrow night?
  • patchesuk wrote:
    Ok, so just doing a role call for those who are riding tomorrow night?
    I have been told that my torch was sent this morning so it should turn up tomorrow so I should be there with the dog...
    Focus First 2010
  • In ! :D

What time is good - 5pm 6pm 7pm ? I'm easy tomorrow .
  • It's going to take me an 1hour or so to get there after work (depending on M25 traffic!) so I reckon if all's ok then 6:30pm/7pm would be best for me... still planning to park across the road?
  • Yeah , that's good for me , Coral Reef carpark seems to be the place to park. I'm in a purple Honda civic & ride a white Trek HT. See you 6.30/ 7.00 pm. 8)
  • Hoping that you two ge this before tonight... I've had a mechanical with my lights and for some reason they're not working! :(

Look slike the battery is dead completely so I need to pull out. Really sorry... pretty gutted actually as I've been wanting to do this night ride for ages!!!!

Hopefully another time? I have a mate who may be able to let me use his battery over hte weekend but I won't see him until tomorrow.

Again, really sorry!

Clint.
  • I am defintly going tonight as i haven't been out all week and won't be free to ride over the weekend....
    So 18:30ish. Although I will park at the Esporta parking (black Nissan navara), I will be waiting on my white focus first next to the entrance where go ape is as I can have my dog (Dalmatian) run around on that car park as it is too busy and she will only get herself run over.
    So see you there
    Focus First 2010