Waterproofs

cavehill
cavehill Posts: 126
edited November 2010 in MTB buying advice
I ride in all weather. Getting wet wasn't an issue when I was only out for an hour or two but now I am out on epic all day rides. I need to get some decent waterproofs. What do u recommend? Does anyone ride with waterproof trousers?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Don't waste your time. Totally waterproof doesn't breath so you'll be wetter from sweating like a pig.
    A couple of thin quick drying layers and tights (with or without shorts) work for me.
    With a windproof layer on top.
    Best buy I ever made was an old roadie jacket. Padded and waterproof front, shoulders and most of the sleeves, with the lower back knitted, and a knitted strip down the sleeves. Keeps water off most top bits, breathes and dries quickly.
    Looks a bit dozy though.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Get down to TKMaxx, they have loads of half price skiing jackets which are pretty warm, but completely waterproof.

I don't bother with waterproof trousers, I just wear cheap tracksuit bottoms.

Generally I just get wet, and live with it, you warm up as you ride anyway.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,348
    Disagree with the above, you just have to spend the money on it :(

i'm (thus far) a big fan of the Endura PTFE stuff, I wear the Venturi II trousers at night or at any time my car reads under 7degC. They work brilliantly and even more importantly they keep the water out of my shoes. I'm planning on trying to get a similar jacket for xmas if i can beg enough. I sweat like an SOB so i'm a good breathability tester!

This will be contraversial but me and my riding buddies have found Altura waterproof kit to be very poor in terms of longevity, our crosslight jackets have both lost all pretence at water proofness and the 3/4 length shorts, (yes we looked a bit similar for a while), have just fallen apart and almost totally delaminated in my case
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I quite rate my Altura Reflex jacket. Its very waterproof and very breathable too but not had it long so can't comment on long term.
  • The Gore alp x jacket I own is ace. After a muddy ride I hose myself down and my clothes below still don't get wet. I also have some endura event
    3/4 shorts which have worn out on the arse. Not too impressed with them but can't compare them to owt else. They leak after a really wet ride unlike my jacket.

I'd go for gore tex if you have the cash. If not go for sommat wi lots of vents. Pit vents on jackets are magic.

Gore stuff comes highly recommended by me anyhooo

go get muddy succa.
  • The Gore alp x jacket I own is ace. After a muddy ride I hose myself down and my clothes below still don't get wet. I also have some endura event
    3/4 shorts which have worn out on the arse. Not too impressed with them but can't compare them to owt else. They leak after a really wet ride unlike my jacket.

I'd go for gore tex if you have the cash. If not go for sommat wi lots of vents. Pit vents on jackets are magic.

Gore stuff comes highly recommended by me anyhooo

go get muddy succa.
  • Mark909
    Mark909 Posts: 456
    Id highly recommend paramo. They use different material to normal waterproof jackets and are extremely breathable so dont turn into sweatbuckets like other waterproofs ive tried. I bought the paramo 3rd element jacket off ebay. Quite expensive but definately worth it! It also converts into a waterproof gillet so can be used on days when its not so cold.

Check out their high activity catalog. Good stuff!

http://www.paramo.co.uk/cmsdata/Downloads/cat/HA_Cat2010-11_lo-res.pdf
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    thel33ter wrote:
    Get down to TKMaxx
    ^^ this

Not so much for the ski gear which is good value but bulky but for the snowboard kit which is waterproof/breathable to 10,000 mm - not too shabby.

Some of the designs are somewhat err..striking but at least the emergency services will be able to find you :)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I second the Endura PTFE stuff, it's just awesome.
    I've also got a pair of their waterproof stealth tights recently to keep my legs (and, more importantly, wonky knee) dry and warm through winter's snow and ice and rain.
  • I have altura waterproof trousers for when its really wet, otherwise I'll jsut wear shorts.

I just got my DHB amberly jacket from wiggle (literally opened it 2 seconds ago) and its superb. Got it for £30, has loads of vents to help stop the boil in the bag syndrome and is properly fitted for use on a mtb.
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    My 15 quid rain jacket from Lidl (they had them on a special) is brilliant. It is the best bit of cycle clothing i own :) Well vented and keeps my dry. Only problem is I look like a flying banana when wearing it so if they have them again i will buy a less retina burning one for when riding off road.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • cavehill
    cavehill Posts: 126
    Plenty of options by the sounds of things.

I was looking at the gore bike range and OMM gear was highly recommended.

I dont mind spending big but I dont want to spend big on a jacket that isnt worth it if you know what I mean.

Currently I am wearing a wicker type compression base layer, cycle shirt and a Gore windproof top. I have been wearing shorts and my sidi MTB shoes with sealskin socks. Problem with the sealskins is when water gets in it doesnt leave.

Anyone know if the Gore Fusion is worth the £239
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    Nothing is 100% water proof and breathable at the same time,a single garment will be better at one or the other,I commute all year round and its my commute that really tests clothing,as Im wearing the stuff day in day out,through all kinds of weather.

When Im in off road mode I create so much heat and sweat that a water proof jacket is pointless,I end up just as wet inside.Waterproof jackets also don't covey the same warmth as other clothing.I would recommend a good base layer and a good quality soft shell jacket,soft shell is not 100% water proof, but it is very breathable and dry's very quick and because of the material it keeps all but the most heavy rain at bay.
    When it gets wet it also stays warm.

I do use a water proof for my commute,only because Im not working any where near as hard,I use a very light Hi-viz waterproof shell with a soft shell underneath.

I use tights on and off road in the winter,with heavier windproof ones when the temp really drops,tights dry faster that shorts and stay warmer when wet,and dont soak up water like some baggy shorts seem to do,which in my case weighs me down and leads to chaffing.

Remember that almost all fabrics have a maximum hydrostatic head,this is the amount of water a fabric can withstand,Breathability is how much moisture it can move away in a given amount of time. Usually expressed in grams per square meter per hour. 5000gm would mean that you can sweat up to 5000gm^2 and the fabric will breathe it out so to speak, but any more than that and you will start to get wet. Just like waterproof rating, higher is better.

A jacket is only as good as it DWR Durable Water Repellent coating,if you wash your jacket with your socks and pants with standard non bio,you will remove this and your jacket then becomes as good as a cotton t shirt.

This is a massive subject,but its what you want out of your clothing that matters,what ever makes you comfortable.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    If breathabilty isn't an issue then there are lots of options around £60-80 mark that are very waterproof.

otherwise around spending £100 - £150 can get you a good jacket.

anything made from the below fabrics should be good.

Altura's React fabric
    Endura's PTFE fabric
    eVent fabric
    or Goretex
  • nick1962
    nick1962 Posts: 156
    Out of interest can someone explain to me how pit and other vents work when wearing a "breathable" jacket. I thought all these jackets were designed to allow water vapour (sweat) to escape through them.If you let cool air in through a vent surely this cools any vapour it comes into contact with and so then condenes inside the jacket defeating the object?
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    The vents let hot damp air out,and cool air in, which cools you down and you sweat less,it also stops a build up of sweaty condensation.
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    Endura convert II works for me on a budget. I get pretty hot inside if it isn't too wet (as many have said above) but this is where arm removal comes in handy. Ultimately I think its best to have waterproofs and use them only in the worst weather to help keep comfortable, but its a very individual thing and you will find the clothing combinations that work with a little trial and error.

It is always best to over do it and remove layers then not take enough at the end of the day.
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • hainman
    hainman Posts: 699
    i bought a moah ski jacket last summer at 50quid(now full price 140)and its quite light but waterproof and has the air vent zips under the armpits,not used it for the bike yet but might get the use out of it now and its far cheaper than most bike jackets and weighs about the same as my softshell which has a neoprine finish to it and is pretty waterproof.my only problem is my a** gets soaked and its pretty uncomftable after a while.might start wearing an asda bag under ma shorts haha
    Giant Reign 2
    Crohnie
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Just ride naked, your skin is pretty waterproof and breathable.
  • Nothing that is waterproof enough to be worth it is breathable enough for fast riding.

The best thing IMO is a waterproof gilet to keep your core relatively dry and then leggings and a ls or ss baselayer under the gilet.

At the moment I have an altura attack x jacket for light rain but it get sweaty really quickly at fast pace, even with the vents open, so i spend most of my time in a 1/2 waterproof gilet with a windstopper front and waterproof back.

If I don't want to ride at all hard and want to stay dry regardless i wear my yachting waterproofs, totally waterproof, but as breathable as lead.
  • Anonymous
    Nothing that is waterproof enough to be worth it is breathable enough for fast riding.
    There seem to be two camps on that topic. Those that believe that, and those that don't.
    And it seems the ones who think you CAN be waterproof and breathable enough, are all mentioning the Endura stuff.
  • Given that I still get sweaty when riding in the rain in just tech-tops i doubt i'll find the endura stuff good enough... As i get colder i just push harder to stay warm, which i appreciate might not be the best idea!

Hopefully we'll get the endura account set up at work soon and i can test some of it seeing as everyone raves about it!
  • Anonymous
    Doubt... there's that word.
    It is not the statement of a knowledgeable person.