What do I need to consider in choosing a singlespeed bike?

Keiron Curtis
Keiron Curtis Posts: 126
edited November 2010 in Commuting general
Though I've been commuting for well over 4 years, I'm not very well up on bicycle terminology etc.. For the last 3 weeks I've stuck to one gear on my 21 speed Subway LTD, and I've enjoyed it. It's refreshed my attitude to my 40 mile roundtrip commute, I prefer not to have the hassle of changing gears, which I mostly mistimed and got wrong anyway. So what must I consider when deciding which singlespeed bike to get?
k.curtis

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I don't have a SS, but the size of the gearing's one consideration. What gear do you ride now?

Also, do you want a fixed gear or a SS with a flip-flop hub?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    How stylish it looks :lol:

Basically wheels, frameset and cranks are the most important, the rest is easily replacable/upgradeable.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    You look out for the same things you would as with any other bike. But without spending several hours agonising over makes and models of derailleurs.
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    why not just get a conversion kit and convert your current bike to a SS, then you can always revert back if you wish.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you get a bike on 700C wheels, remember you'll need t drop the gearing slightly due to the larger wheels!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • tywin1
    tywin1 Posts: 7
    thel33ter's mostly right, but also consider plenty of frame clearance for wider tyres, which has the added benefit of space for mudguards too.
  • nikstar1
    nikstar1 Posts: 103
    I've got a fixie black jack dude machine. Absolutely love it!
  • I have a Pearson Touche and absolutely love it; it's the perfect all weather single speed. I notice there is one new to Ebay today might be worth a look at.
  • BOYDIE
    BOYDIE Posts: 528
    I run one of these,it's a 2009 Trek FX7.2,I used a conversion kit and run a 38x15 (chain ring,sprocket, 69 gear inches) for my hilly comute and an on-one doofer chaintensioner.

It runs really well for my 8 miles each way hilly commute.

4928997977_9a9e23b2a7.jpg[/url]
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Cyclo-Cross stylee or Road stylee.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Hybrid stylee!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Alphabet
    Alphabet Posts: 436
    buy an old road bike and spend 13 minutes and 20 quid converting it. it'll be unique so you will love it.
  • kieranb wrote:
    why not just get a conversion kit and convert your current bike to a SS, then you can always revert back if you wish.

Nice name there kieranb, where could I get a conversion kit? Is it feasible for my Subway LTD? Thanks.
    k.curtis
  • I have a Pearson Touche and absolutely love it; it's the perfect all weather single speed. I notice there is one new to Ebay today might be worth a look at.

Great looking bike, but a bit pricey for me. I saw some fantastic singlespeeds at the Bike Show in Earl's Court a couple of weeks ago. Much cheaper at £250-£450, whether or not they're as good a quality as Pearson, I don't know. Anyway, starting off I don't want to invest too much. My Subway LTD only cost £300, and it hasn't let me down at all, touch wood.
    k.curtis
  • Conversion kit. Cost you about £30-40 and you keep the bike you know. Perfect.
    jedster wrote:
    Just off to contemplate my own mortality and inevitable descent into decrepedness.
    FCN 3 or 4 on road depending on clothing
    FCN 8 off road because I'm too old to go racing around.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    I have a Pearson Touche and absolutely love it; it's the perfect all weather single speed. I notice there is one new to Ebay today might be worth a look at.

Great looking bike, but a bit pricey for me. I saw some fantastic singlespeeds at the Bike Show in Earl's Court a couple of weeks ago. Much cheaper at £250-£450, whether or not they're as good a quality as Pearson, I don't know. Anyway, starting off I don't want to invest too much. My Subway LTD only cost £300, and it hasn't let me down at all, touch wood.

Speaking of Pearson they currently have the 2010 Specialized Langster on sale for £359 which is bargainous.

http://www.pearsoncycles.co.uk/store/product/193/Specialized-Langster-58-2010/

Also they are lovely folks to deal with, I've got a Touche and love it.
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    have you seen that on-one have cut the pompino from 599 to 435. Given it will take racks and guards (a bit difficult to find on a fixie/ss) it's seriously appealing at that price
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPMPRS/o ... road-sport
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    have you seen that on-one have cut the pompino from 599 to 435. Given it will take racks and guards (a bit difficult to find on a fixie/ss) it's seriously appealing at that price
    http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CBOOPMPRS/o ... road-sport
  • nikstar1
    nikstar1 Posts: 103
    haha thats brilliant! love the comic book style :)
    fixies do have a bad rep at the moment with the whole 'hipster' problem, but theres a lot of people who have been in love with fixies for a long long time, regardless of whether they're fashionable or not!
  • nikstar1 wrote:
    haha thats brilliant! love the comic book style :)
    fixies do have a bad rep at the moment with the whole 'hipster' problem, but theres a lot of people who have been in love with fixies for a long long time, regardless of whether they're fashionable or not!

I want a singlespeed because I think it would suit my commuting better, and it definitely won't be a fashion statement. All I want is advice, I've taken on board alot of what has been said on this forum, but I'm not prepared to gamble a few £100 on a bike, so I've decided to either pedal down the road suggested about converting an old road bike, or maybe coverting my Subway LTD, if it's feasible. No one has said where I can get a conversion kit, in this country. Any ideas?
    k.curtis
  • lots of places do convertor kits. Sideways Cycles, Charlie the bikemonger, just have a search for one.
    alternatively you can do it very cheaply (and shonkily) with a broken-up cassette, some plastic pipe and an old rear mech.
  • powenb
    powenb Posts: 296
    Definately contact www.charliethebikemonger.com
    He will have everything you need.
    This is exactly the route I'm taking with my Kinesis Racelight. :D
  • powenb wrote:
    definitely contact www.charliethebikemonger.com
    He will have everything you need.
    This is exactly the route I'm taking with my Kinesis Racelight. :D

Cheers, goodluck with your conversion.
    k.curtis