Anyone ordered from magicshinebikelights.co.uk

neil_sheehan2000
neil_sheehan2000 Posts: 529
edited November 2010 in MTB buying advice
Hi all,

I've done a search on the forum for mentions of this website but, oddly, got no results, so thought I'd ask. I'm looking for a cheap and powerful light without wanting to wait umpteen weeks for it to get over on the boat from China, and http://www.magicshinebikelights.co.uk claim to have the MJ808 in stock. Has anyone ever used the site? Any horror stories?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    or save 30 quid and wait an extra week. Its the same cheap components inside just with a UK plug.
  • diy wrote:
    or save 30 quid and wait an extra week. Its the same cheap components inside just with a UK plug.

lol was thinking the same!
  • Is it really just an extra week though? Aren't some folk waiting aaaaages for Deal Extreme at the minute? To be honest, if the difference is only 30 quid I'm fairly happy to pay that to have the thing with me sharpish and (possibly) better customer service if something goes wrong...
  • Andy B
    Andy B Posts: 8,115
    only a 3 month (90 day) warranty from the UK site.

150 day warranty on the Hong Kong site.
    2385861000_d125abe796_m.jpg
  • diy
    Bob shipped my order in 10 days.. they will tell you within 48 hours if they are out of stock.

when they shipped XRE LEDs last year instead of XPGs they shipped new XPG drop ins and didn't even want the old XRE drop ins back.

A lot of these "UK Sellers" are hobby sellers who have bought a couple of dozen from china and are retailing them off ebay or similar.

I have no idea if that is the case with your proposed company. The problems with these lights are the battery and charger design and that is the same wherever you buy.

If you compare the electrics of the charger and pack to a laptop battery pack you will see why these units are not sold direct in the UK by anyone who has something to loose if they were sued.
    Andy B wrote:
    only a 3 month (90 day) warranty from the UK site.

150 day warranty on the Hong Kong site.

You'd be protected by your statutory consumer rights which would extend beyond that anyway.. I wonder if that is to give them time to get it back to china inside their 150 day warranty ;)
  • I used Magicshine UK, and had no problems at all, ordered the light at 11am on the Friday and it was at my door 9am the Saturday morning .... Allthough that was when they were in stock, not sure what the waiting time is like when they are out of stock ..
  • Given my experience, I would buy UK. If you have a problem you dont need to waste money and time sending them back to a reluctant DX (all my actual experience before anyone moans). Given the cost, time and hassle youll probably end up with an £50 paper weight as have I.

TBH I wouldnt even buy the MJ-808. It doesnt have protection for the LED and the manufacuring quality is crap. Someone else mentioned the battery charge circuit being crap aswell, which I can believe. I would NEVER leave the battery charger unattended.

Some people say the updated version is better, Ive no experience but Id buy one of these from a UK seller if you want one. I would also buy a small 'get you home' light that you can count on being reliable - Hope Vision 1? Something like that.
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    edited October 2010
    double post
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    I would NEVER leave the battery charger unattended.

Having worked with Lithium batteries in development, manufacture, testing and selling for a good few years, id have no problem charging unattended* if you have a very good quality charger, are you really going to watch a black box hum away for over an hour? i wouldnt! But having seen batteries blow up / having blown up batteries, i can assure you that with a crap charger, i wouldnt risk it.

They are safe as anything if you use decent equipment, but do it on the cheap can ask for trouble IMO

(*do this at your own risk!)
  • Hi, I ordered an MJ816 online on Sunday night thru magicshinebikelights.co.uk. Although I went for the Standard mail delivery (3-5days) it arrived this morning (Tue) at 11am. :shock: Battery on charge - route planned - evening meal cancelled - wife not happy :evil: - can't wait. :D

You can also order thru magicshine.co.uk (slightly cheaper) but thier new stock will not be available until 9th Nov. Very Good company and might throw in a few extras if you email first then pre-order :wink: .
  • Hi all,

I've done a search on the forum for mentions of this website but, oddly, got no results, so thought I'd ask. I'm looking for a cheap and powerful light without wanting to wait umpteen weeks for it to get over on the boat from China, and http://www.magicshinebikelights.co.uk claim to have the MJ808 in stock. Has anyone ever used the site? Any horror stories?

Thanks in advance!
    Neil - see my comments entered today - Portfire
  • Yeah, so I went out and had a few beers on Sunday night, came home and bought this off some bloke on ebay :shock:

Looks to be a fairly recent model- 836? Arrived today too (have to get it from the Post Office as soon as possible), which is something I'll gladly pay extra for!
  • diy
    You'll be happy with that - its a good light and that is a reasonable price.

Personally I would think about tilting the clamp back and the light forward to reduce the risk of breaking the clamp in a spill