how often?

gjw2309
gjw2309 Posts: 33
edited November 2010 in Road beginners
just a simple question here from a beginner

how often do need to change your chain?, as i have been told by my lbs that my new chain is worn already i have only done about 350miles. is this normal?

i am not just muscling through the gears i am spinning away are there any other things which could've caused this/what should i do in the future to avoid this happening again?

When replacing the chain is there much difference between the different models?. it is a 105 groupset i have currently fitted to the bike

any help greatly appreciated thanks

Gary

Comments

• I've had mine over 12 months and done a few thousand miles, just had it serviced and is a 105 groupset.

Sounds as though there may be a fault from new if it is worn to that extent already?

I'm no expert but going off my own experience something doesn't sound right about your problem mate.
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    i've just cleaned and measured mine. When new you get 12" between 24 links.

After 450 miles it's now at more than 12 1/64 but not as much as 12 1/32. So slightly worn.

Once it gets to 12 1/16 it needs changing so i've got a while yet.

I was reckoning on 1000 miles, I expect the wear rate will accelerate a bit so that seems a reasonable estimate.

It'll wear faster if it's dirty, faster still if dirty and greasy. So keep it clean (LOADS of topics and arguments on this). I rinse in gt85 every 50-100 miles (after every ride when it's been raining or puddling), wipe, dry lube, wipe again.

Once it wears much past 12 1/16 the cassette will rapidly wear, by 12 1/8 the cassette is probably toast.

So my guess is either your chain was very dirty and grinding itself to bits or was a rubbish chain or have you been running with a crossed chain or badly adjusted mechs?
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • gjw2309
    gjw2309 Posts: 33
    thanks for the quick advice i will go out and measure mine tomorrow and see what i get,

i will admit the chain and cassette are not spotless but i wouldnt say there dirty. have tried my hardest to keep it clean. ill try to clean it better in the future to see if that helps.

the mechs i had adjusted by a well praised LBS so i am trusting his set up and seems to run fine 99% of the time. what is a crossed chain? lowest and highest gears on the cassettes?
  • dmch2
    Exactly, running the chain very diagonally will wear it more. And probably have it (audibly) rubbing on the mechs.

Whilst the LBS may have adjusted it perfectly - new cables stretch (actually the outers compress I think). So the gears on a new bike need adjustmenting after each ride for a while before it all settles down.
  • Stuy-b
    Stuy-b Posts: 248
    on my training bike i get 1300ish miles to a chain and 3 or 4 chains to a cassette. on my race bike its more like 900 ( light weight chains and the fact its pretty much only used as a hill climb bike). on my mtb and my cross bike im lucky to get 4/500 miles to a chain. but theres no way a chain should ware to the point of needing replacing in 350 miles unless your useing a mix of sand, grit and salt as chain lube :D
  • put the bike in for its secondary adjustment last week then had a problem going in to my highest rear gear so went back to my LBS and that is when he told me it is worn. i am beginning to wonder if it is the running the chain diagonally which i only really do when stopping and starting around town.

that sounds like a interesting new lube mix :P someone did mention to me it could be granite dust from around my area.

thanks for the adiice been very helpful and shall see how i get on in the future[/quote]
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Worth getting one of these http://www.parktool.com/product/chain-wear-indicator and checking your chain on a regular basis. IMO much better to change the chain before it gets bad enough that it starts wearing out the cassette, chains are much cheaper!
  • dmch2
    a ruler is cheaper than a measuring tool thingy...
  • hambones
    hambones Posts: 407
    I'd expect to get many 1000's of miles per chain and even more from a cassette. (7000 miles so far this year and on my second chain)
    Still breathing.....
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Someome's gotta say it. 350 miles on 1 chain is pants. Either you've got thighs like trees and are climbing 12% hills in top gear all the time, or something is worng. 350 miles is way short - you should be expecting 2-3000 miles if you look after it, a bit less if you don't. 350 tho? Pffft. Ask him why he thinks it's worn, show you the evidence and ask why or how it could possibly have stretched so much in what for a lot of people is a week's riding.

FWIW I clean mine with a rag soaked in GT85 every few rides, more if it's been wet, and lube it with that Teflon stuff in a can. Occasionally take it off the bike completely, give it a real thorough clean and leave it to soak in light oil overnight before refitting. I also buy two chains at a time and alternate them at about 1500 miles. Seems to work. I'm back on the first one now, at about 4k for the year
  • danowat
    danowat Posts: 2,877
    I've got over 2000 miles in my chain and cassette, doesn't need changing yet.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    7000 miles on a dura ace 7800 and when i got my Lbs to change it... he asked why because it had plenty of life left in it. Dura ace aren't going to be as robust as 105 so i'd say that if you look after it 10000 miles shouldn't be a problem.
    Talkin of chains.. if you're swapping your chain, have a look at the FSA slk 10s chain, blindingly smooth.
  • 8200 miles on my ultegra chain and sprocks and i,m fully expecting it to last a few more thousand miles yet, 350 miles is absolute crap mileage for a chain , did the lbs tell you how much it was worn, you can go to about 1% stretch before you need to think about replacing the chain if you dont want to start wearing your sprockets too far, mine is just over 1.5% but i,m replacing the whole chainset when the time comes
  • Chris James
    Chris James Posts: 1,040
    My 10 speed chains (105 and KMC x10) last about 1500 miles before 0.75% extension.

It is quite hilly around here, and I do use the bike in all weathers (guards in winter) but people quoting 7 and 8 thousand miles for a 10 speed chain is very different to my experience. Perhaps they change their cassettes and chain rings at the same time as their chain? - EDIT have just read the response above properly and I can see that the poster is changing everything at one go and his chain is very worn. FWIW I get 3 or 4 chains to a cassette. Someone can do the maths tow ork out the cheaper strategy!

350 miles is dire. You can tell if it really needs changing simply by measuring it with a ruler. If it does need changing then you may want to consider what model of chain you replace it with or what maintenance regime you use.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    danowat wrote:
    I've got over 2000 miles in my chain and cassette, doesn't need changing yet.

+1

I'm by no means OCD so far getting around 3k miles or more per chain. So unless you ride cross chaining a lot it could be either a cheap 'n nasty chain or the LBS milking your good nature.
  • Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    Bozman wrote:
    7000 miles on a dura ace 7800 and when i got my Lbs to change it... he asked why because it had plenty of life left in it. Dura ace aren't going to be as robust as 105 so i'd say that if you look after it 10000 miles shouldn't be a problem.
    Talkin of chains.. if you're swapping your chain, have a look at the FSA slk 10s chain, blindingly smooth.

I got a 105 chain with my bike new and got 6 months out of it (1500 miles). I then fitted a Dura Ace chain and it lasted a month!!
    I now have a KMC super light chain which is still going strong after 6 months. I am a heavy rider but the DA was terrible.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Folk are talking arse here, a 105 chain lasting 6 mths/1500 miles and then a Dura ace chain lasting a month, so we're talking 230miles on their mileage for a dura ace chain... Bull****!!
    I can't pound miles(due to a young family) but i roughly do 120/150 a wk at the mo, so maybe i should change my chain every two wks then? Absolute c**p!
  • dmch2
    I've heard that expensive chains are very llight, which is obvioously very nice, but that they are prone to wear much quicker as they are 'too' light.

Is that the case?
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    No.