Can you spot yourself? Cycling tribes...

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Good article.

I am definetely a roadie, but at the moment I am cultivating a bit of a beard. Do I change categories ? :D
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    Seen this done before... seems to be just trolling by another name.

Cue arguments...
  • Roadie - without any shadow of a doubt,

but by process of elimination:

my bike has only 2 wheels, (so not a contraption captain)

I am a petrol head (so hardly a righteous cyclist, although possibly cycling may compensate for clog footed motoring)

I have proper handle bars (and dont have the alarming sway of a tri-bar user in a pack)

I am male (so no beautiful female cyclist - not even in my friday night gear)

I have'nt had a satchel since school (disqualifies as a messenger)

stop for RED Lights (thats if i see one - so not an urban RLJ)

dont do mud (unlike the dark side who seem to regard mud as proudly as a campaign medal)
  • bits of various but none of the above
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I don't fit into any...
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    None of them really....mtb and road riding for me....I started riding to get fit...now do it for both fitness and because it ace!.....not a rad gnarly dooder type mtber though :D
  • Started as a roadie, now I'd say I'm an urban cyclist. Need to get back to being a roadie.
  • Airwave
    Airwave Posts: 483
    Now i know i'm 97.67% a Roadie :lol:

Loved this bit"Mountain Bikers to do extremely irritating things like try to race Roadies who are simply out for a ride, which, if you're a Roadie, is sort of like being goaded by a hillbilly while you're browsing an art gallery. :lol:
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    What a load of bullshite, I don't try to make riding as easy as I can, conserving energy etc.. What a load of rubbish.

I'm clearly not a roadie.
  • yeah that was pretty unsurprising. i am part roadie zealot and part sockless heathen triathlete i'm afraid, technically i'm a dirty bikeless runner also as i compete in road running races too.

i have just kissed my guns and now i'm going to either get rained on outside or get very sweaty on the turbo.
  • Ollieda
    Ollieda Posts: 1,010
    It would seem (at least how I read it) that the writer considers himself to be an urban cyclist! almost sounds like he started with a moan about other "types" and then decided to make some money from it!
  • tonyw43
    tonyw43 Posts: 249
    Well and truly a Triathlete I'm afraid
  • Reads more like some socio-analytical pigeon holing normally associated with that great tome of truth the Daily Mail...
  • freehub wrote:
    What a load of bullshite, I don't try to make riding as easy as I can, conserving energy etc.. What a load of rubbish.

I'm clearly not a roadie.

Yes. A proper roadie knows when to conserve energy and then unleash full power at the right moment.

After reading some of your racing exploits I'd agree with you. You're not a roadie :wink:
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    No, I'm a road cyclist ;)
  • Reads more like some socio-analytical pigeon holing normally associated with that great tome of truth the Daily Mail...

Hmm...don't think the Daily Mail would be able to write a measured article like that.

Have to agree with the description of triathletes - Although i'd love to see the bowling idea come into force
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    Reads more like some socio-analytical pigeon holing normally associated with that great tome of truth the Daily Mail...

Or perhaps a light-hearted bit of fun.
  • stfc1 wrote:
    Reads more like some socio-analytical pigeon holing normally associated with that great tome of truth the Daily Mail...

Maybe, as my comments were tongue in cheek to, just too subtle maybe: There's a fine line between amusement and mockery.

Personally I ride a bike, well several of them: a cyclist I think is the description.
  • stfc1
    stfc1 Posts: 505
    just too subtle maybe

For me anyway, it would seem :oops:
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    So right though about triathletes.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    stfc1 wrote:

Maybe, as my comments were tongue in cheek to, just too subtle maybe: There's a fine line between amusement and mockery.

Personally I ride a bike, well several of them: a cyclist I think is the description.

His blog is hilarious, worth a read. http://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com