Just completed the South Downs Way... any other suggestions?

jonny_monster
jonny_monster Posts: 18
edited November 2010 in MTB beginners
Having had a bike for 4 weeks, a friend and I have just completed the ride from Winchester to Eastbourne over a few days. I had a great time and, whilst many of you would have no doubt completed this with some ease, I enjoyed the (at times tough) challenge. In fact, I enjoyed it so much, I am keen to do something similar.

If you have any reccomendations for future 2-4 day treks, they would be greatly appreciated. Camping may well be an option in the late spring/early summer months.

Comments

• Hi j_m,

Good one and pretty good time of year to do it too. Have done SDW twice now. Once in September over 2 days and once in May (this year) in a day. That was a real killer but still great, great fun. The kind of route that makes you glad to own a mountain bike.

Have you checked some of the routes on the sustrans website. A new one has just opened called the Way of the Roses. There are also the Coast 2 Coast ones too. Could circumnavigate the Isle of Wight poss? Lots of options out there with a bit of imagination.

Down south theres always the North Downs Way too where I live but I dont think it caters as well as the SDW. Could be worth a look and a bit of research though.
    2011 Giant Anthem X1
    2008 Gary Fisher HKEK

"I can resist anything except temptation"
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    Congrats on the SDW buddy, you should have a look at these, if you're willing to travel

Lol, maybe the Wessex Way is the next one then! ;)
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    West Highland Way? Bit of a classic adventure and people'll always be impressed to hear you've done it ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bartimaeus
    bartimaeus Posts: 1,812
    You could, of course, do 80 miles of the SDW overnight...
    http://www.trailbreak.co.uk/maxx_exp/
    Vitus Sentier VR+ (2018) GT Grade AL 105 (2016)
    Giant Anthem X4 (2010) GT Avalanche 1.0 (2010)
    Kingley Vale and QECP Trail Collective - QECP Trail Building
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    I would love to do such a long ride and/or a multi day ride!!! Well done! I am really envious. I have absolutely no one who I could do such a ride with :( and I really wouldn't want to do it on my own.
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • the trans pennine trail is good for beginers. it can easily be done one way in 4 days and at 215 miles, its a good ride.
    www.transpenninetrail.org

or you can keep an eye out on the rides section as our charity ride for next year will be announced in a bit..... its a bit longer than 215 miles though!
    :wink:
  • Simonhi
    Simonhi Posts: 229
    Good on ya, hoping to do this in stages before doing it all in one day fro British Heart Foundation next June.

Do you think it is doable in one day or would it require super human fitness ?

Cheers,

Si.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    To train for the BHF SDW100 in a day you need to do more than just ride a bike to get fit. You need to do proper training for it.

The problem is not only do you (and your bike) have to be able to do the 100 mile off road ride, but you have to be able to do it at a reasonable pace, in sometimes fairly warm conditions (it was 30 deg in June) and know that when you reach the 65 mile check point you have the hardest part yet to come (devils to eastbourne is the toughest part).

Anyone thinking about it for the 1st time would be better putting in for the 65 first off. I did it in a group this year and only 2 of us were still going by the time we'd got to the 65 check point. If you get to the 65 early enough (e.g. before 2/3pm) then they will let you push on to the 100.

Also be very selfish about who you group up with, you wont have anything in reserve to help pace slower riders. Everyone in your group needs to be at your pace. I will be doing it again next year and will learn from the mistakes I made this year.

I'm avg. fit for a cyclist, but It was the hardest thing I have ever done.
  • Simonhi
    diy wrote:
    To train for the BHF SDW100 in a day you need to do more than just ride a bike to get fit. You need to do proper training for it.

The problem is not only do you (and your bike) have to be able to do the 100 mile off road ride, but you have to be able to do it at a reasonable pace, in sometimes fairly warm conditions (it was 30 deg in June) and know that when you reach the 65 mile check point you have the hardest part yet to come (devils to eastbourne is the toughest part).

Anyone thinking about it for the 1st time would be better putting in for the 65 first off. I did it in a group this year and only 2 of us were still going by the time we'd got to the 65 check point. If you get to the 65 early enough (e.g. before 2/3pm) then they will let you push on to the 100.

Also be very selfish about who you group up with, you wont have anything in reserve to help pace slower riders. Everyone in your group needs to be at your pace. I will be doing it again next year and will learn from the mistakes I made this year.

I'm avg. fit for a cyclist, but It was the hardest thing I have ever done.

Thanks for the heads up, I would certainly be planning on trainig for it but by the soun sof it I may be bset going for the 65 miles to Devil's Dyke.

The biggest problem with me is that I can only train by cycling, i.e. I can't run due to a back injury, I get to about 5/6 miles and I'm in agony.

I intend to do the course in stages, just to get a feel for it, but understand that I may have to do it prior to the actual day to see how I fair.

It's something to aim for anyway.

Cheers for the sound advice.

Si :-)
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Si

If you are anything like me you need to book in for it so that it will make you go out and train.

In terms of additional training over and above cycling, its more weight training that is important to build the muscle strength up, get the lower back strengthened etc.

and like I say - put in for the 65, you can always go on to the 100 if you get to DD early enough in the day. The first 65 miles is exactly the same.

The biggest pain is the logistics. You need to get to Winchester and get picked up at Eastbourne.

The last thing you want is another 15 miles to the station.
  • On the logistics point, I parked my car at Winchester and got a Southern Trains Downloader ticket (£12.50)... Eastbourne - Southampton - Winchester. Worked out well, but then the train timetables may not fit with your timings...
  • Simonhi
    Cheers for the advice guys,

It's handy living in Portsmouth I can get a lift to the start from a couple of builder mates with massive vans.

Was considering just booking a taxi back, or get the long suffering missus to pick me up :-)

Best get training now then, mind you I've got an MRI scan on a chipped vertebrae tomorrow from a car accident a cople of months ago !!!
  • Simonhi
    Just had a look on their site and can't see dates for next year :-(
  • I believe there is an off-road london to paris next year...

just saying!
  • No idea! Just been hearing rumours.
  • London to Paris - off road; there was one this year, and there is one next year....have linky;

http://www.bhf.org.uk/events_and_volunt ... ps=1000650
    next year is;Date for 2011 is the 2-5 July

As an OT; anyone got any info on the Wessex Way at all?
  • Mccraque
    Mccraque Posts: 819
    fancy a jolly onto the continent?

www.ultrabike.de