lanzarote trip

acebobby
acebobby Posts: 95
edited July 2011 in Road beginners
I am going to lanzarote at the end of November for a week and have decided to hire a bike for the week. I will only have about 2 - 4 hours of cycling each morning as I dont think my girlfriend will appreciate it if I disappear all day every day! Anyway staying in playa blanca so just wondered if anyone had some good riding routes out of there?

thanks
Bobby
getting faster, fitter, and skinnier by the day!

Comments

• http://www.ironmanlanzarote.com/images/stories/race-information/bike-course_2_uk.jpg

:wink:

Best to just buy a map when you're there and figure out some loops. I've been over to Club la santa in the north a bunch of times and that's what we've usually done, although they have a lot of suggested routes up there.
    The roads are mostly good, theres usually a cooling breeze, but the climbs are brutal.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    There is a cracking climb as you come out of Playa Blanca. Cannot miss it as you can see the road snaking up the mountain from the resort. Takes up the east side towards Puerto Del Carmen.

Calle Hacha Grande the road is called off the road to Maison.

Google maps shows it.
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    Ive just come back there are some great routes on your doorstep , you can follow part of the iron route that skirts the coast just go north of yourr resort (great smooth roads). Cycle up through national park (the road down from the park to Yazia is very very fast). There is a great climb up through playa blanca towards Hemes.... 25% in places and your not allowed to stop. The road users are very bike awar give you loads of room.

My tips are:

Pleanty of water

be prepared for the wind a 50km ride might not seem far but its a killer

cycle upto club santada (no spelt correct) lovely ride up and in places like riding on the moon.

If you want more routes pm me and ill dig out the maps

Ps if your flying Ryan Air watch they dont stitch you up... your allowed 30 kilos for bike and not "
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    acebobby wrote:
    I am going to lanzarote at the end of November for a week and have decided to hire a bike for the week. I will only have about 2 - 4 hours of cycling each morning as I dont think my girlfriend will appreciate it if I disappear all day every day! Anyway staying in playa blanca so just wondered if anyone had some good riding routes out of there?

thanks
    Bobby

(Lucky) tw@t.
  • Joycie
    Joycie Posts: 127
    edited October 2010
    I'm heading there in two weeks (try and type that without smiling) and you can buy a pamphlet for a couple of euros that lists various routes from the complex, including gradients etc.

Fab!

Take your own bike helmet though - nothing worse than putting one on that's soaking with someone else's sweat... :roll:

p.s. If you eat muesli for breakfast you might want to take your own - when I was there last year a standard box of Alpen (or equivalent) was 7 Euros... :shock:
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    i'm off to costa teguise for 2 weeks middle of October, but with 'saucepan lids' in tow I might just hire a roadbike for 2 separate days and an MTD for 1 day - any other info anyone has would be appreciated therefore 8) thanks
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • AndyF16
    Just returned from our holiday :( but had a fabulous time riding out there - ditched the MTB idea and rented a roadbike for 3 days first week and 2 days the second due to other things going on with friends out there

Looked at several rental places but was seriously underwhelmed with the kit on offer, any decent bikes were 5-10 years old and looked as if they hadn't been out or had a spanner near them all season, tyres starting to perish etc for around €20 per day

Then on recommendation from an MTB shop owner, I got onto ProBike in La Santa and Steve and Maria couldn't have been more accommodating, supplying a nice Time Speeder S with Ultegra, in good condition, properly prepared for the same money delivered to my door next day at the other side of the island :D They seem to have a good selection of top name bikes/groupsets, although my late booking meant that I limited my choices somewhat

By the way I have no connection with ProBike, and didn't receive any discount or sweetener for this posting - although it does help that one of the duo is a complete babe (clue: it isn't Steve) :mrgreen:
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    AndyF16 wrote:
    Just returned from our holiday :( but had a fabulous time riding out there - ditched the MTB idea and rented a roadbike for 3 days first week and 2 days the second due to other things going on with friends out there

Looked at several rental places but was seriously underwhelmed with the kit on offer, any decent bikes were 5-10 years old and looked as if they hadn't been out or had a spanner near them all season, tyres starting to perish etc for around €20 per day

Then on recommendation from an MTB shop owner, I got onto ProBike in La Santa and Steve and Maria couldn't have been more accommodating, supplying a nice Time Speeder S with Ultegra, in good condition, properly prepared for the same money delivered to my door next day at the other side of the island :D They seem to have a good selection of top name bikes/groupsets, although my late booking meant that I limited my choices somewhat

By the way I have no connection with ProBike, and didn't receive any discount or sweetener for this posting - although it does help that one of the duo is a complete babe (clue: it isn't Steve) :mrgreen:

I think you may find Steve posts on here... :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • AndyF16
    hopper1 wrote:
    I think you may find Steve posts on here... :wink:

that's alright, sure he'll not be jealous - doubt I'm his type mate :wink:
  • Did you take your own shoes and pedals with you?
    getting faster, fitter, and skinnier by the day!
  • AndyF16
    acebobby wrote:
    Did you take your own shoes and pedals with you?

to save luggage space i took a pair of shimano MT22s with my own SPD cleats so I could use them as 'normal' shoes as well - ProBike just supplied SPD pedals instead of SPD-SL no problems
  • Joycie
    Joycie Posts: 127
    I'd also watch your comments considering the surname of Kalashnikoff...

I'm booked up for one of their Time carbons on my return in March :D
  • AndyF16
    Joycie wrote:
    I'm booked up for one of their Time carbons on my return in March :D

i had a Speeder S first and a Speed RS second (not much chance of a mix up with those model names, is there eh? :? ) both nice bikes from my limited experience :D

Joycie, would you happen to be one of the duo I saw in Yaiza on Thursday and Teguise on Saturday?
  • gwillis wrote:
    Ps if your flying Ryan Air watch they dont stitch you up... your allowed 30 kilos for bike and not "

20 Kilos is was last month ryan air to the south of france ... and they kept it very very much in the small print, I had to shed some stuff and repack but got it in ok, and its something daft like £26 per kilogram over EACH WAY..excess charge

but it will still be cheaper than hiring a bike for a full week
  • leeroycal
    leeroycal Posts: 2
    Hello folks,

New here and I'm off to Playa Blanca on 24th July. Going to hire a roadbike (will deffo go for ProBike!) to do some rides whilst I'm out there and want to take on the climb over Hacha Grande. My question is, as it's hard to tell from the Google Map, is Calle Hache grande actually a concrete road or more of a tack for 4x4s?

Can anyone who has been over it advise? I don't want to get into the foot of the climb and realise I'm in some diabolical, boiling and steep version of the Paris-roubaix!

Ta
    Lee
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,437
    afaik it's a track for 4x4s, i think this is it...

hachagrande.jpg

if you are in playa blanca, a good route, 50-80km depending on options, is to take the long quiet road lz-701 that runs parallel to the much busier lz-2

after 8km there's a roundabout, you can go left here for a nice loop on swoopy roads through crinkly lava aong the coast, then it comes back inland to rejoin the road at the second roundabout, where you can go through yaiza, cafes

go all the way through yaiza for about 5km and you come to a roundabout where the right exit goes up to femes (straight takes you on the ugly traffic strewn road to arrecife)

but instead go left which takes you up past uga and goes north-ish on lz-30 on rolling roads through grape country, eventually turn left on lz-56, takes you to mancha blanca, cafe

then head back south west on lz-67 through the volcano national park - you can pay a few euro and cycle in and up to the restaurant on top of the volcano - back on the road, after a climb, a fast straight descent brings you back to yaiza, cafes

at which point you can either go back to playa blanca, or much better go back to the roundabout for femes, and up the hill to the top, cafes

then short but nasty steep descent - watch out for gravel and out of control tourist cars, to a roundabout, then a long straight fast descent back down to playa blanca

you can vary this, and start with the drag up to femes, 7km up to the roundabout then the next 800m climb just gets steeper and steeper the further up you go, nasty in the heat, cafe. then nice descent but be very wary of traffic on the curves
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    Great routes from playa blanca the hill near fermes is a great climb and you can sit up the top and watch the poor buggers climb it after you whilst having a coffee. The road through the national park is a peach also think it leads to yazia
  • leeroycal
    leeroycal Posts: 2
    that's brilliant guys, ta very much!