is it part of my mid life crisis?

Buzz1024
Buzz1024 Posts: 8
edited November 2010 in MTB beginners
Hi all - i've been lurking for a while and finally decided to post :D

Like many others no doubt, i have got back on my bike after too many years off it - and i'm wondering why it took me so long. I had an old raleigh activator 20 odd years ago and it did the job but basically pretty cruddy now (it's still in the shed though) - I took my 11yr old son to Keilder during the summer and we had a great time so the bug has well and truly bitten again. I live just to the east of Edinburgh so Glentress is only 30mins away and i'm so desperate to get there and try it out. I felt a bit unfit at Keilder so this 40 something has been getting himself bike fit again with lunchtime rides round Arthurs Seat in Edinburgh and it's working - just have to cut down on the fags now :o
My budget is pretty non existent but so far i've managed to pick up a GT Aggressor, a Carrera Vulcan (both in very good nick), an Edinburgh bicycles Revolution Cuillin frame and a set of Marzocci Bomber MX comps and a few other bits and pieces (Discs,callipers,Wheels etc) for not a lot of outlay - so my next thought is : what can i build from all of these bits?
I am very technically minded as i've been rebuilding classic cars most of my life so i'm really just after some advice, pointers etc as most of my bike knowledge is a bit out of date.
Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks
Ignosce mihi, cacare necesse est!

Comments

• Some of the other more senior members will be along soon to offer advice im sure but thats definatly not my place lol
    Just trolling and thought would say hello and welcome to the forum!
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    hi buzz, you need some cycling specific tools to do all the work yourself, ask on buying advice for a kit with all you need, all the guidance can be found on the net: online manuals, park tools and sheldon brown cover pretty much everything.

you have 3 frames, do you need 3 bikes? 2 bikes; a commuter/runaround built up with the lower end parts and a rigid fork and then a better specced mountain bike is a good combo IMO.

so choose the best of your frames for each role (longer more stretched for road use, more upright position on the MB), then cherry pick the best compatible componants for the MB and stick the rest on the runaround.

then sell the 3rd frame and any uncompatible or surplus parts and use the £ to get whatever you still need to finish up the buildsbut complete one of them fist so you have a ride -get an ebay account

i'd be tempted to finish the hack bike first and work onthe MB over the winter so you have a trail ready machine for twhen the sun comes out again!
  • Yes, it is part of your mid life crisis :D

http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/soci ... 009303131/
    On One Inbred 456
    On One Inbred SS
  • Thanks for the replies - i've been buying tools on ebay with great abandon ( definitely a paid up member of toolaholics anonymous ) - and the plan so far is to upgrade the GT with what i have managed to pick up then to spend the winter building something better for the sunnier days. I'm definitely not a fair weather rider, i can't do with being indoors and the worse the weather the more i enjoy it.
    All the bikes and bits i've managed to accumulate have cost me no more than £50 (its amazing what people are willing to throw away or get rid of for not a lot of money) so whether my equipment is classed as entry level doesnt bother me - i'm only interested in getting out there and having fun - entry level now is like being on a different planet when compared with what i was using 20yrs ago (the suspension actually works!)
    I have to admit that i'm very much and old school engineer and that i will experiment and adapt what i have rather than go out and buy new, personally i find it far more satisfying.
    So, this weekend, the GT is getting new forks, cable discs and new tyres and i'm planning on being out there by Sat lunchtime and seeing what a difference they make.
    Should i fit wider bars? a shorter stem? lighter wheels? - I think I'll just have to try it and see what i like - any advice very welcome (might save me making a major cock up)
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    Mornin' - the standard websites for technical infos are: www.sheldonbrown.com/ and www.parktool.com/repair/ - this is also useful for shimano stuff http://techdocs.shimano.com/techdocs/index.jsp

Regarding stem length / bars etc - you just have to experiment. It also depends where you tend to ride, my hardtail has stupidly narrow bars because I got fed up punching trees in my local woods.
  • 5pudgun
    5pudgun Posts: 402
    Lighter wheels is always a good start.
  • I do like a budget build. I grew up having very little money, and started messing around, fixing my handed down bikes when I was about six. And done very much the same through the years until I got a job in my mid 20s :D I can't shake it though, I'm still always on the look out for cheap stuff. And if you can make it yourself, all the better!

Will be interesting to see your progress..
  • tsenior
    tsenior Posts: 664
    i'm currently buiilding an old GT avalanch on the cheap, i have just finished stage1.....

.......clearing all the rubbish of my workbench.

next job is headset service (see workshop/tech), then fork service (oo er) and scouring ebay for various parts

might post progress with pick on my rides
  • had a bit of free time the other night so the GT got forks, disc, tyres and some DMR V12's (i've got big feet) - i'll get around to the back disc once i source a wheel.

GT.jpg[/img]
  • Like you say that GT you have there would have been a 'super bike' by the standards of old!
    I would look for a shorter stem maybe around 60mm. It will sharpen up the cornering and I find it makes jumping easier too. It just seems to add more feel to the front end.

Keep at it!

Harry.