Upgrading Specialized Hardrock advice...

macomater
macomater Posts: 40
edited November 2010 in MTB buying advice
Right well its a good couple of months since purchasing my hardrock, little did I know that I would get into biking quite this much.

Over time I have decided what I like and dislike about the bike, having already changed the pedals my two main problems with it are the forks and handlebar.

First off the fork- At the moment it just has the stock SR suntour fork - which is rubbish. I am light but my full weight jumping on it moves it about half an inch. I've tried everything to adjust it/ improve it. I have even taken it to the LBS but it seems like it is just that it is a bad fork. So that's my first priority.

I have pretty much ruled it down to two forks - the rock shox tora 302 and the rock shox recon. Can anyone give any advise about whether the recon is worth the extra or even suggest some other good forks under £200.

The only other thing I find to be poor at the moment is the handlebar. (Although hopefully a lot of the vibrations through it will be reduced with a better fork. )

I know very little about bars and don't even know where to start...so any suggestions are grateful....obviously the cheaper the better but I have the view that if I am going to change something I might as well do it rather than be wanting to upgrade again in 12 months.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Recon Silver TK would be my choice for less than 200, or the Recon gold for just over.

Some hardrocks have terrible steel bars. Look for a lightweight alloy unit. Width and rise is simply personal. Make sure it fits your stem as are 25.4 and 31.8mm measurements.
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Rockhopper.
  • thanks supersonic -

These recon silver TK at £125 new look like a good buy:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2011-RockShox-Rec ... 383wt_1141

I can't see anything wrong with them - other than my frame is matt black and those are metallic and have red on :?

Thanks for the help - any suggestion on light alloy bars to lead me in the right direction?
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    I would keep the upgrade budget to a minimum as you could spend 400 quid and not make it as good as say a rockhopper of the same technical spec.
  • Have a look on merlin cycles website. They have some great deals on Raceface handle bars, stems packages, & some even seatpost aswell.
  • msp1
    msp1 Posts: 59
    After the forks I'd upgrade the brakes, the stock disc cable brakes are pretty poor, certainly are on mine anyway.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    i've got a ahardrock as my commuting/playbike and have the silver tk's, they're a pretty good fork :D

p4pb5470881.jpg
  • welshkev - nice bike! Some good upgrades there, and those forks look better than expected so thats encouraging. Cheers for that.

msp1- interesting as my main problem with the brakes at the moment is that they are too good. I avoid touching the front as the slightest touch has often ended up with me going over the bars :shock: strange!

Baggyman - Cheers had a look and the prices were a pleasant surprise...although having looked on ebay there seems to be a definite bargain to be had. At least then it's not the end of the world if I don't like the bar.

diy- although i appreciate what you are saying part of the fun for me is upgrading it to my personal tastes even if it is not a wise financial decision!
  • welshkev
    macomater wrote:
    welshkev - nice bike! Some good upgrades there, and those forks look better than expected so thats encouraging. Cheers for that.
    !

no worries mate, keep an eye out on e bay and the classified ads for what you want, also merlin cycles has some good deals.

i built the whole bike for about £400 :D
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    macomater wrote:
    diy- although i appreciate what you are saying part of the fun for me is upgrading it to my personal tastes even if it is not a wise financial decision!

Cool - did exactly the same myself, although started out with a cheap marin. I replaced the grips and bars a couple of weeks ago. These was the last component on the original bike to go. I am 100% custom now.

Spent well over a grand, probably closer to 1500. I picked my mrs up a rockhopper pro up for 340 quid on ebay a month ago and that would be a much better starting place for a project, as it already had:

XT/slx groupset, Reba forx, Avid Juicy 5 brakes, easton stem and bars. Which would cost more than the 340 I paid.
  • Right this is probably a stupid question. At the moment the stem has a 25.4mm clamp. If I was to change both the stem and the bar do they both have to be replaced with a 25.4mm bar and stem or because I am changing the stem can I change it to 31.8mm.

The other thing is that I want to check that a FSA OS-150 stem will be able to fit on my bike as I can get one for peanuts off a mate, but just want to check first.

Thanks and sorry for the stupid questions :oops:
  • supersonic
    No, you can use 25.4 or 31.8, as long as both bar and stem are the same ;-)

Yes, the stem will fit, but the road version has a 25.9 clamp.
  • Ah cheers, guessed that would be the case but wanted to make sure.

I'm not too sure if it is the road version :?

He says that it has a 35mm fork clamp stack height and 31.8mm clamp diameter if that is any use to help distinguish if it is the road stem and whether it will fit?

Thanks
  • supersonic
    31.8 is fine, as you can get 31.8 bars.

35mm is the height of the stem, unrelated.
  • Ok, thanks for the super quick reply! Is there any obvious distinguishing difference between the road bike and normal stem that I should be able to see when I go to look at it?

Also how much do you reckon will be a reasonable price for me to offer? He doesn't seem to act like he is expecting a lot but on the other hand I don't want to rip off a good mate. He says it's in good condition and used for 3 weeks.

Thanks
  • supersonic
    Just the 25.9mm clamp ;-)

WHich it isn't lol
  • AHAHA! I've just realised i'm being an idiot :oops:

I thought you where talking about the size of the other end of the stem if that makes sense, so it should fit fine.

Cool so I just need to decide what I will offer.

Can't thank you enough for the quick replies and putting up with my stupidity!

Part of the reason for upgrading/building is so I build my understanding (which can only be a good thing!) I've got a mate who will help me fix the parts and show me all that stuff so it's all good.

Thank You!!!
  • abductee
    abductee Posts: 189
    edited November 2010
    I've done this

Hardrock sport 08 upgraded with:

Recon 327 solo air 120mm
    xt disc hubs / mavic 717 wheels
    Deore 555 hydraulic disc brakes
    FSA XC-281 Riser Bar
    Exotic 3-D Forged 2014 T6 Al Stem Bore: 31.8mm, Ext: 60mm from www.carboncycles.cc
    clarks lock on grips

I bought the fork at a really good price for another bike but the increase in travel from 100 to 120 upset it's balance so the hardrock got the forks and it feels right.

I already had the wheels, brakes and shifters

The handlebars are a recent upgrade because I found the original bars flexy after riding other bikes that have OS bars. Also saved 110 grammes weight. I find 25mm rise about right.

I do like the bike. Its sturdy and handles well but It can't be considered value for money if you have to buy all the parts on top of the £250 price tag. The bike is no lightweight at about 30 lbs with 800g each tyres, 560g v8 copy pedals and mudguards. It has low spec 8 speed transmission.
  • welshkev
    abductee wrote:

I do like the bike. Its sturdy and handles well but It can't be considered value for money if you have to buy all the parts on top of the £250 price tag. .

i paid £40 for the frame, BB, seatpost, rear mech, headset, bars and stem,

i took out the BB and rear mech and sold them for £15, so it only cost me £25 8)