Anyone good with MS Word?

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited October 2010 in The bottom bracket
Do you mean as a header or footer?
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• I don't run Word but in Open Office it's called AutoText. So, say you're fed up of writing and formatting your address for a letter, you enter the text and the formatting into AutoText, give it a name, type the name, hit enter and out comes the completed text. Word may use the same name or something like AutoComplete or AutoFill.

There are a few standard AutoText entries preloaded. For example, if I type the letter A and then press F3, ''Attention:" appears automagically.

EDIT, yes it's called AutoText in M$ http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word- ... X101818070
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    Create a custom document property and put whatever info in it. Then add a document property field on the front page and another in the header or wherever else you need it. Remember you'll need to update fields in the doc if you change it.
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • Jake151 wrote:
    Thanks for the answers

With that auto text if I edit the value thats held within it will it update throughout the document?

The information pulled from the document will be used in a header and footer as well.

The document is going to be a template type thing so I don't want to have to go through it and edit it as it will end up fairly long

Thanks again guys

Again, because I'm not running Word, I don't know the steps and Im'not entirely sure what you're trying to do. But I can insert fields, ie times or date within the autotext, if that's what you mean.

So now, if I type A + F3 I get my name and address details plus the current date.

I haven't tried it in Headers though.
  • dmch2 wrote:
    Create a custom document property and put whatever info in it. Then add a document property field on the front page and another in the header or wherever else you need it. Remember you'll need to update fields in the doc if you change it.

This is what you need to do. Autotext will insert text automatically (funny that), but it won't update it. F9 to update fields.
  • ooermissus wrote:
    dmch2 wrote:

This is what you need to do. Autotext will insert text automatically (funny that), but it won't update it. F9 to update fields.

I just did an autotext entry with a time field and it automatically updated. But that's in OOo.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Err, how often do you change your company name?

Top marks to the gurus for whizzo answers with doc properties, fields etc, but in most cases the simplest thing is to do a global search and replace.

I'm not quite sure exactly what it is you're wanting, but in a template, you just put a placeholder like CONAME in the appropriate places, it then takes about 5 seconds to change it (Ctrl+H brings up search and replace box, type CONAME, tab, type the comapny name you want, ALt+A does replace all).

Apologies if this amounts to condescending advice when you want to do something more sophisticated, but on the other hand it might just be what you need.
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    If you rely on it being done manually you can end up with a document having the old/wrong value on it. This is particularly bad if it's a doc for client B and client A's name is left in it somewhere.

But if that's not a worry then search and replace will be fine.
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • delegate to secretary .. drink tea.