Carbon rims & glue

pliptrot
pliptrot Posts: 582
edited November 2010 in Workshop
Because I think carbon fibre is rubbish (particularly Far-Eastern) and Campag are just the same, I'm about to buy a Giant TCR advanced SL and fit it with Super Record. I'll be using Neutrons but for racing will use Boras. Now, given that I'll never win so much as a button competing, this kit has to last. Can anybody offer advice as to what glues to use on carbon rims and how best to get that glue off - completely - as my bikesense radar says don't use solvents on composites. No doubt there's advice out there but I would welcome anecdotal input.

I will continue to rubbish non-steel bikes and Campag, unless I win something.

Comments

• dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Plenty of carbon tubular wheels out there and the tires are probably glued on with all
    sorts of glue brands and tape(I like Tufo tape). In any case acetone will get just about anything, in the way of glue, off your rims. About the only thing I have ever heard of to NOT use on carbon anything is paint remover. It will de-laminate it, or so I've heard.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,819
    When replacing a tubular there is no need to remove all traces of the glue anyway - that seems to be common consensus anyway. Remove any loose lumps and then apply a new layer or 2 to the rim before installing new glued tub. Removing all of the glue is a tough job.
  • pliptrot
    pliptrot Posts: 582
    Some of us are fastidious to the point of obsession - a new tub deserves a clean rim. Not cleaning a rim that well is like, well, adding lube to a chain which looks like it's actually been used......
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    andyrr wrote:
    When replacing a tubular there is no need to remove all traces of the glue anyway - that seems to be common consensus anyway. Remove any loose lumps and then apply a new layer or 2 to the rim before installing new glued tub. Removing all of the glue is a tough job.

+1 on that.
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I removed all the glue residue from my HED Stinger 9, but that was because it was second hand, and the existing glue seemd uneven.
    So, I cleaned it all off using acetone.
    Now, having applied the Vittoria mastic myself, in a nice even manner, I wouldn't go to the bother of cleaning the rim back to bare carbon the next time I change the tub.
    If you know it's even, it'll act as a good base for the next tyre.
    Acetone is easily available, and cheaper if bought in bulk off ebay.
    Don't use nail polish remover, as it contains other ingredients beside the acetone!
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!