Trek 1.1 v Specialized Allez

iaylmer1
iaylmer1 Posts: 6
edited November 2010 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I am new to road bikes and am wondering which of the above two is the better purchase?

I have sat on both bikes at differnet bikes shops. As far as I can tell they are essentially the same bike in that they have alli frames, carbon forks and the same 2300 running gear.

Could you advise me which would be the better buy for a complete beginner?

Many Thanks
Ian

Comments

• jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Bikes at that pricepoint and from major manufacturers are much of a muchness.
    Down to your own 'liking' of the bike.
    Buying from a good shop who wont rip you off and give you decent support is probably more important.
    I am amazed that so many beginners seem to consider/ purchase 'online' so you are avoiding that pitfall.
    Getting the right bike setup needs a hands on approach... until that day when you know what is right. and what is wrong....
    Maybe consider a step up to Sora if you are hard bargaining at the shop.
    I do have the Allez which is standing up well to the test and I am throwing a lot at it at the moment from cold wet commutes to training rides.
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    Not a lot in it, both are perfectly good. Get the one you like more even if that means choosing by colour. You want to ensure you never wish you got the other one.
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    i have the Trek 1.1and love it, but it doesn't have carbon forks, they come on the 1.2
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • tbh like the guys have said its down to personal choice with both being similar spec wise

you may get a better feel if you could test ride each of them though as geometry will be slightly different
  • Ok,

Thanks for the advice. Yes I really nearly did go online and buy a Viking, just didn't trust the name as I had never heard of them?

Mine has a carbon fork, even has the sticker on it telling me that it might suddenly fail after a crash.

Went with the Trek! Now the miles and miles. Hope my poor little legs can hack it.

Thanks
    Ian
  • I take it back, its an alu fork. Why did they put a carbon fork sticker on it then? Oh well, still love it.

Ian
  • I think you've made a good choice. I had an Allez and loved it but I believe the Trek takes full mudguards which would be great for the winter.
  • andy46
    iaylmer1 wrote:
    I take it back, its an alu fork. Why did they put a carbon fork sticker on it then? Oh well, still love it.

Ian

thought that seemed strange, :? it's a great bike though IMO

Did you get the 2010 model or 2011?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Yeah I got the 2010, in blue. Love it. Still don't get why they put the warning label on about carbon forks etc? Hey ho.

Ian
  • andy46
    iaylmer1 wrote:
    Yeah I got the 2010, in blue. Love it. Still don't get why they put the warning label on about carbon forks etc? Hey ho.

Ian

I got the same bike a couple of weeks ago and i'm very happy with it :D

mine didn't have no warning label though :?

Anyway, hope you enjoy it as much as i am 8)
    2019 Ribble CGR SL