Juicy 3 + Deore M530 shifters = one fingered set up?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Currently got the factory default set up of grip -> brake -> shifter and learnt that I can convert the layout for one fingered braking by going grip -> shifter -> brake.

However the classic problem is if I swap them round the gear indicator on the shifter gets in the way. I've read that this may be removable, but I'm not sure it's possible with the M530, which looks like this...

deore.jpg

Any suggestions?

Alternative is to change the shifters of course.

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    You can't remove them, I tried on my Kona :cry:

Maybe adjust the levers inwards a bit so you can reach them more easily.

I normally use a few fingers to brake, comes from making do with crappy no name brand V brakes for 2 years :roll:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Had the same problem when my bike was new. You cant remove those windows so I ended up getting some LX shifters off CRC for about £20 because they did have removable windows then just sold the virtually new m530 on here.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Yeah, that's what I thought.

Though had one suggestion that might be able to get a replacement top cover if you take the top bit off with the window. Can't find anything though.

Will look out for cheap shifters that will work, though didn't realise the M530s are worth £50! Thought they were just cheap stuff that came with the bike. They feel cheap. Looks like you can get a combo version of the M530 with brake levers integrated for almost the same money.
  • thel33ter
    Replace them with something like these - They feel soooooo much nicer, the clicks are really positive compared to the m530's, but don't have the dual release feature.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Shimano-LX-M570-9 ... 45f66174dd
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    I just pushed everything inwards (a lot - no half measures) so the brake lever is just where I want it, and realised that I quickly got used to a bit of a shuffle/stretch to shift - hey, I just remided myself that I do it... had forgotten :wink:

You may want to try that first for a couple of rides and may realise it's not bad having the shifter out of the way completely.
    Giant Reign X1
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    You can remove the whole top cover. I did this on some old Deore's (the windows were smashed anyway) and just covered the mechanism up with some tape. Worked fine in some very harsh conditions and a few crashes
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    but don't have the dual release feature

I have LX shifters and they do have dual release.
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • thel33ter
    nonnac85 wrote:
    but don't have the dual release feature

I have LX shifters and they do have dual release.

I think the last models did - 07 or so, but the earlier ones like mine don't.
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • I always run my shifter outside my brake to make 1 finger braking easier and in the perfect position.
    Grip/Shifter/Brake.