Good all round grease

Mr Tom
Mr Tom Posts: 66
edited November 2010 in The workshop
I need to get a new tub of grease after my Mum accidentally chucked the old one out while tidying the garage! Any recommendations for something I can use for general things on my bike like bearings and also stopping screws rusting in?
Orbit Fast Tour
Mondia 96 (Belgian 'Dutch' bike)
Ridgeback Envoy

Comments

• crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    Automotive waterproof bearing grease. Cheap, available everywhere, holds up well in wet conditions and works for all things needing grease on a bike.
  • Mr Tom
    Mr Tom Posts: 66
    Thanks! I'll track some down
    Orbit Fast Tour
    Mondia 96 (Belgian 'Dutch' bike)
    Ridgeback Envoy
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The only grease to use on threads is copperslip, also good for brake pivots.

For wheel bearings something like HT grease with molbedum is best, elsewhere waterproof (red) grease is best.

You wouldn't use a hammer to remove a crank, you use a puller, use the right tool for the job!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Copa-slip has no uses on a bike, you tend to see exaggerated galvanic corrosion with it hence my tube is now slowly oozing into the bag it live in.

Personally I find the rock and roll lubes to be excellent, and their greases for various applications are all wonderful.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Anyone use LM grease?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Craggers
    Craggers Posts: 185
    Not LM but I do use the Castrol CL grease on pretty much everything thet needs grease on a bike, never had any problems yet...cheap too, compared to specific bike greases
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Cheers.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Copa-slip has no uses on a bike, you tend to see exaggerated galvanic corrosion with it hence my tube is now slowly oozing into the bag it live in.
    Copperslip is fine if used correctly. Pivot points on V/Canti;s for example.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Copperslip is fine on a bike yes, I mainly use it on the BB cups to stop them seizing, done it for years