My first Road bike!!

Richtea70
Richtea70 Posts: 107
edited November 2010 in Road beginners
Hi all.

Just jumped in with my first Road bike, a 2010 (I think!) Specialized Alize. Well the sticker says manufactured Feb 2010, so I dont know if that will be a 2009 or 2010 model.

Got it second hand after a bit of haggling for £250. It needs a new front wheel as the one on it isnt original, so I've put a wanted ad up for that! Anyway cant wait to get out on it but its pouring down here at the moment!

Have a picture but its pretty poor, due to my phone!

IMG_0277.jpg

I think its a sport double, but cant be sure? Hopefully you experts may be able to give me that info.

Hopefully will get to know a few of you on here,
Thanks,
Rich
GT Idrive
Trek 6300
GT Chucker

Comments

• Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    Hi Rich, welcome to the forum and the Dark Side!

You've got yourself a cracking entry level bike there for £250 - you've got your head screwed on going 2nd hand at that price point.

It looks like a compact double chainset from the photo'. If the front wheel is in good condition, then you don't need to change it out just because it isn't original - it will be fine.

Have fun!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Richtea70
    Ben6899 wrote:
    It looks like a compact double chainset from the photo'. If the front wheel is in good condition, then you don't need to change it out just because it isn't original - it will be fine.
    !

Thanks for the welcome, mate.

Yeah, I know I dont need to change it, but I guess its bugging me as the rear wheel is black and the front crome, although the rim is black. Mind you shouldn't complain as the fact that the front wheel wasn't original got me £70 off what he was asking. :D

Rich.
    GT Idrive
    Trek 6300
    GT Chucker
  • That's a bargain at that price, and welcome.

Welcome to the world of blinging your bike. It gets expensive.

Have a look at Koolstop salmon brake pads/cartridges. Might prove invaluable in this wet weather. Very easy to fit, looks like you might need to whole cartridge rather than just the pad, but will imrove your braking no end.

Enjoy
    Limited Edition Boardman Team Carbon No. 448
    Boardman MTB Team
  • looks like a 2010 allez 16 to me....

http://www.cyclestore.co.uk/productDetails.asp?productID=21398&categoryID=41

cracking bike for the money, wouldnt worry about wheel too much

well done & enjoy 8)
  • Richtea70
    Cheers for the comments guys, and thanks for identifying. Having looked at that site it is definately a Allez 16 :D

The rear wheel is a Alex S500 which I understand isnt a great quality wheel anyway, so I may end up replacing both wheels as I still have a bit of money left, which I saved by buying second hand.

So if anyones looking to get rid of a cheap set of wheels let me know... :wink:

Now I see how this addiction with upgrading starts!!

Rich
    GT Idrive
    Trek 6300
    GT Chucker
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    Just ride it for a bit. You may want new tyres, brake blocks, lights, stem, SPD pedals/shoes or wet weather gear before you go for wheels.

I've done 1, 2, 3 and 5 from that list. I need 4 (it's too long) and think I'll stay indoors if it's very wet to avoid 6.

But wheels are very nice... :)

If you've not got padded shorts you'll probably want them first!
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • Richtea70
    I do a bit of MTB so Ive got the clothes and lights, but I will be looking at the brakes and tyres with the wetter weather coming in.

I was just going to ride my MTB through the winter, but now I'm not so sure!
    GT Idrive
    Trek 6300
    GT Chucker
  • Any recommended retailers for the Kool stop pads ?

Rich.
    GT Idrive
    Trek 6300
    GT Chucker