mph formula

kenniff
kenniff Posts: 207
edited October 2010 in The bottom bracket
Is there a firmula for working out distance time to mph.
eg.if a 100meter runner clocks 9.9 seconds,how fast is he going.
Easy life

Comments

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    edited October 2010
    Try this site -

http://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/speed

Just enter the figure in the relative field (e.g. 9.9 seconds in the seconds per 100 metres column) and press convert. All the figures are there!
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,685
    If you're talking about whole rides:

Divide total mileage by total number of minutes, then multiply by 60. Gives you mph. E.g., 12 miles in 43 mins. 12 divided by 43 = 0.279, 0.279 x 60 = 16.74mph. All you've done is work out distance travelled per minute & multiplied that to get the hourly rate.

If you want to do it on a "distance betwen two lamposts" type of calculation, I'll have to think about it. I worked it out when I was at school, travelling on buses every day. But that was a long time ago. And as it was all based on estimating a distance between (say) two lamp posts, and counting seconds in my head, I suspect the results were unreliable. If the answer came out over 80mph, I'd assume my guesses were a little out.

EDIT - in the example given, divide the 100 by 9.9 (that gives you the distance per second), then multiply by 3600 (that gives you the distance in metres per hour), then if you want the mph total, divide that by 1609 (the number of metres in a mile.

So 100 divided by 9.9 = 10.10, 10.10 x 3600 = 36363, 36363 divided by 1609 = 22.6 mph
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Try this site -

Just enter the figure in the relative field (e.g. 9.9 seconds in the seconds per 100 metres column) and press convert. All the figures are there!
    I prefer Wolfram Alpha for that kind of thing.
  • I prefer Wolfram Alpha for that kind of thing.

So, 100 m in 9.9 secs is the estimated average cruising airspeed of an unladen European swallow. Is there any way of converting this to the sprinting airspeed of a touring house marten?

After factoring in headwind, naturally.... :wink:
  • ChrisSA
    ChrisSA Posts: 455

So, 100 m in 9.9 secs is the estimated average cruising airspeed of an unladen European swallow. Is there any way of converting this to the sprinting airspeed of a touring house marten?

After factoring in headwind, naturally.... :wink:

African or European?
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Zachariah wrote:
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Try this site -

That's shite! What if I want to burden my swallow with a pack of quavers?
  • Zachariah
    Zachariah Posts: 782
    To eliminate the possibility of a swallow entering the equation, deduct your wife from both sides.
  • Zachariah wrote:
    To eliminate the possibility of a swallow entering the equation, deduct your wife from both sides.
    my wife wont swallow!!
  • kenniff
    kenniff Posts: 207
    Thanks for the sensible answers.
    As for the rest of you jokers.
    Swallows dont carry coconuts when migrating,they use convenience stores along the route..... :roll:
    Easy life
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,685
    Sorry to post a sensible answer- the others are much more fun.

I wonder if my long-hand solution is because I'm old enough not to have been allowed calculators in exams apart from the odd A-level (so I'm young enough to have been at school when calculators were being mass-produced, thank you). We were allowed log tables and slide rules, however. It does mean that I can work stuff out when the computer's switched off though, or the internet's on the blink.
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,831
    Zachariah wrote:
    my wife wont swallow!!

She will :lol:
  • Shezzer
    Shezzer Posts: 229
    matthew h wrote:
    Zachariah wrote:
    my wife wont swallow!!

She will :lol:

+1 :o
  • max888
    max888 Posts: 206
    The formula: Speed=Distance/Time

Speed= 100m/9.9s
    Speed= 10.10m/s (metres per second)

Than just use a site that converts units;

10.10m/s = 22.6mph

Simples :D