cleaner for front forks

snowster
snowster Posts: 490
edited November 2010 in MTB beginners
hi can anyone tell me whats the best thing to clean/ lub your front forks?

Comments

• FunBus
    FunBus Posts: 394
    Depends on the style/quality of your forks really.

Most forks will have seals and internal lubrication, so there's no point in putting more lube on the stanchions, unless they're really bad - this will also attract more crap to stick to them!

Just wash them down as you would your frame - if they're particularly dirty, Muc-Off should do the trick (just dont leave on for too long!).
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    You don't need to lube them as such but a bit of teflon lube rubbed around the seals is a great way to clean the crap out. Puit some lube on round the seals then pump the fork a few times. The dirt from the seals will then get left behind in a tide mark which you can easily wipe away.

I use Muc-Off Bike spray to keep everything shiny but do NOT get it on your pads or rotors. I put it on with a cloth.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • Fork Juice is good on the forks, just spray a bit on. It helps first of all to loosen seals and stop them cracking so the forks work smoother and also mud just doesn't like sticking to fork juice, it also good to polish a frame for that reason.

I know it isn't cleaningthe forks but it is stopping the cr@p getting there in the first place.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    clean them using the same stuff you use for the rest of the bike.

to lube use either a few drops of chain lube or suspension specific lube on the forks, cycle up and down a few times and wipe of any excess.
  • andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    why do people always say not to get muc off on rotors or pads?

it's never done any harm to mine, it even says it's safe on the bottle :?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • andy46 wrote:

+ potato (although I use Fenwicks not Muck Off)
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    MucOff Wash is fine on brakes, but not MucOff Bike Spray.
    Craig Rogers
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Fork oil works well- if you get it from a motorbike shop or Halfords rather than a pushbike shop it's far cheaper. But I've been using Fork Juice lately and it seems a little better, it doesn't gather dust and it repels mud. Now as far as I can tell it's exactly the same as the cheap silicon lubricant spray I got in Maplins and costs twice as much, but that's worth paying for an attractive can and the pleasing feel of using the right stuff ;)
    Uncompromising extremist
  • andy46 wrote:

Muc-off cleaner and Muc-off bike spray are two different products, the second being like GT85 or WD40. So it would ruin your pads.

On the other hand, Muc-off cleaner is fine to use on brakes. I've never had any trouble.
    We'll see things they'll never see...
    Fury
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    sherbert19 wrote:
    andy46 wrote:

Muc-off cleaner and Muc-off bike spray are two different products, the second being like GT85 or WD40. So it would ruin your pads.

On the other hand, Muc-off cleaner is fine to use on brakes. I've never had any trouble.
    +1
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.