Pheasants

fleshtuxedo
fleshtuxedo Posts: 1,853
edited November 2010 in The bottom bracket
I found my ride today considerably less plucking pheasant on account of so many dumb suicidal feathered friends throwing themselves willingly in my path. At times I was simultaneously dodging so many it was like a game of Asteroids. With added wildfowl.

When do the toffs get the green light to do us the huge favour of blowing the whole sorry shower of them away??

Comments

• northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549

When do the toffs get the green light to do us the huge favour of blowing the whole sorry shower of them away??

went out on the mtb (with the wife so no choice) and wharfedale was like a war zone near harewood house today, seriously worried about getting buck shot in my ass
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Use a slow cook casserol rather than roast, you can never tell how tough they are going to be.
  • Hmmm, I didnt read the title properly and thought this was a thread about poor people.... :roll:
  • I had a similar experience in the summer.

As I thundered down a steep farmtack more and more took to flight and and flew in the direction I was heading. Once I had realised that they were probably better at avoiding me than I them it became a rather exhilerating to fly amongst the flock for a few minutes.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • crumbschief
    crumbschief Posts: 3,399
    I find partridge in groups of 6-10 more trouble than most as they weave about in front until they finally take off,still there is always that brake hovering time with any of them when you just don't know which way they are going to go,fun.
    Also,i went past 5 Peacocks today by the side of the road,no flinching or running just gracefully walking about,i didn't expect to see those on the ride today.
  • freehub
    freehub Posts: 4,257
    Today on a club ride an pheasant almost went into the front wheel of the guy at the side of me :lol:
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    I had pheasant for tea :D Jolly nice it was too
  • softlad
    softlad Posts: 3,513
    pheasants will only fly as a last resort, it seems. The other day one was running away from me as fast as its legs would go - I had to shout "use your wings, you stupid fcker" before it finally took off - maybe they're not so dumb after all......
  • It's the way they able across the road infront of you, almost reach the far verge, then suddenly turn & dash back across the road, under your wheels!
    Pheasants, God's hint that we somethings are best eaten!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Mmm yes, pheasant, loads about at the moment...not managed to flatten one yet, though they do try their hardest, guess I'll have to stick to chicken (Sainsburys version) for me dinner :D

I find sheep just as bad....why is the side of the road that they are opposite to so much safer in their little minds??? Have come near to hitting a few of them in my time, now I just aim straight at them knowing they'll run one way or t'other...seems to work :wink: .
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • Pheasants, sheep, cattle what you really don't want is rottwiellers. They are bad mothers, but on the up side they're great for improving your sprinting, believe me, I have the tee shirt. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    Had a German Shepherd run after me and bite me on the a*se once, unfortunately I wasn't on the bike, just running on my feet....far too slowly to outrun it :D

Cycling is much better than running.
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686

went out on the mtb (with the wife so no choice) and wharfedale was like a war zone near harewood house today, seriously worried about getting buck shot in my ass

Aye some daft toff cunt fired towards the road the other day when I was out on the bike. He tracked the bird round and fired when it was between him and the road.

Cockwasher!
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • Flasheart
    Flasheart Posts: 1,278
    Funny as hell yesterday. After I had about a dozen cars overtake me out in the forest, I rounded a bend and there was a tractor towing a covered trailer type thing full iof game birds hung unside, in front of that was another full of gents dressed in (I assume tweed) shooting clobber....and ALL those cars behind and unable to overtake. Within a few seconds I had torn up the RH side of all the traffic and was out in front again. It must have been a good 10 mins before one of those cars managed to catch up with me. :twisted:
    The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle. ...Stapp’s Ironical Paradox Law
    FCN3
    http://img87.yfrog.com/img87/336/mycubeb.jpg
    http://lonelymiddlesomethingguy.blogspot.com/
  • Its because its the game season tomo!

All the gamekeper had had the birds for a few months now and they should all be released ready for shooting!

The pheasants arent road wise so to speak at the mo! but if you do get one gut it, hang it somewhere cool for a day or two, pluck it and pierce a few hole in the breasts and put small slices of garlick in the cover and roast for an hour! mmmmmmmmmm scrummy.
  • I managed to hit one on my mountain bike last year. I was following my friend down a woodland bridleway when the young pheasant ran out behind him. When it got to the wall on the other side it turned and ran back straight under my wheel. I made no attempt to swerve - I just went straight over it.

I don't like the meat though. I hate the smell of stewing pheasant.
  • Hmmm, I didnt read the title properly and thought this was a thread about poor people.... :roll:
    My wife done the same when she read about the queen strangling them!!
    Suburban studs yodel better than anyone else
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    A good idea to carry a few plastic bags this time of year just in case you ride past some fresh road kill. Pop it in the plastic bag, secure to rear rack or drop into a pannier. A nice treat for supper or sunday roast.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.