Skiing

dmch2
dmch2 Posts: 731
edited November 2010 in The bottom bracket
I've done a lot of skiing (20 years or so) and am going again in January. But this is the first time the majority of my pre-skiing exercise will have been cycling. Previously I've done lots of running and on the rowing machine which has sorted my legs but I found my sides weren't fit enough and suffered a bit on the slopes as there's lots of twisting required.

My question is how much exercise does cycling give to your sides? I can equally imagine it does almost nothing or that every pedal stroke your side (and arm) has to work to stop you pushing yourself off the bike.

Do i need to start specific exercises or just cycle more?

Any ideas?
2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid

Comments

• mallinov
    mallinov Posts: 143
    Hi,

Used to go skiing and cycling with Manu Gaidet (3 times world freeride champion). Apart from contractual obligations his main summer exercise would be cycling or mountain walking for his guide qualifications. If you're a decent rouleur then you'll be in perfect condition for a spot of skiing!
  • mallinov
    Besides if your twisting your upper body a lot on the slopes then a trip to ski school would be wiser!!
  • dmch2
    Body stays still but the hips and legs are busy underneath. Most muscles are doing something but my sides don't get much specific exercise so they get a bit stiff in the evenings.

I've got mates who are ski instructors who I can (just!) keep up with so I know I'm doing it right ;)
  • dmch2
    mallinov wrote:
    Hi,

Used to go skiing and cycling with Manu Gaidet (3 times world freeride champion). Apart from contractual obligations his main summer exercise would be cycling or mountain walking for his guide qualifications. If you're a decent rouleur then you'll be in perfect condition for a spot of skiing!

I'm a better skiier than cyclist at the moment! Give it a few years and the cycling will hopefully catch up :)

Good to have a pro tell me it's the right preparation - thanks
  • mallinov
    if you're stiff in the evenings then Mutzig is the answer
  • northernneil
    northernneil Posts: 1,549
    I love skiing and took my BASI level one this year but cycling and skiing although somewhat compatible are very different.

I ski with my mate who does nowt... nadda... zilch, but has a lovely natural smooth skiing technique ... the result is he is probably the quickest out of the lot and the least tired come apres time
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I snowboard once or twice a year, at an advanced level and as long as I've been cycling a reasonable amount, up to the point of going on my hols, then I have no problems with 'boarder fitness...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,384
    Try MTBing - a lot more upper body movement, balancing, twisting, lifting and such involved in that....
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • dmch2
    I've already got a hybrid and a road bike. If I buy an MTB I'll get chucked out by my wife and need to sell the bike to pay to rent somewhere!

But yeah, I'd imagine MTBing is much better for skiing. Plus much more time out the saddle so more core stability needed for that too?
  • I'm probably not in a strong position to offer skiing advice after smashing my shoulder to bits last season.

But if you're worried about sides why not do some core strength stuff like planks and side planks
    5138028552_5b583a9b56_t.jpg
  • dmch2
    What's a 'side plank'? (If that's not a silly question! :))
  • I'm sure there are people able to give better advice than me but a quick guide
    http://www.mensfitness.co.uk/exercise/a ... plank.html
    5138028552_5b583a9b56_t.jpg
  • berliner
    berliner Posts: 340
    I've skied a fair bit over the past 30 years and cycle about 4500 miles a year. My problem is speed. Compared to 10 years ago I'm slowing down a lot more on cycle descents and also slowing when skiing. I still push hard on a climb but am happier doing more technical stuff when skiing leaving out the more challenging icy black runs. I'm just losing the bottle/ appetite for the fast stuff.