Bottle Cage Problem

paulieb2006
paulieb2006 Posts: 318
edited October 2010 in Workshop
A mate of mine has a problem with his bottle cage. The bolts in the frame have gone. Anybody have any ideas. Please.

Comments

• dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    What do you mean 'gone'? They're missing and you need to know what size to get? Or the thread in the frame is stripped?
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • dmch2 wrote:
    What do you mean 'gone'? They're missing and you need to know what size to get? Or the thread in the frame is stripped?
    Sorry, the Nuts in the frame are gone. Hole about 8-10mm in the frame where the Nuts were welded onto the frame
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    They're a form of pop rivet - called a rivnut.

A good bikeshop should be tooled up to fit a new one.

It sounds like you have not got to deal with the hard problem of drilling out the old one!
  • dmch2
    Or if you're so inclined a hand rivnutter is only 20 quid or so and rivnuts themselves cost pennies. Splined aluminium rivnuts are best as they are less prone to work loose or spin.

Question is... Where have the old ones gone and how did they work loose/fall out?
  • Scrumple
    Scrumple Posts: 2,665
    and, just how big is the universe?
  • Rivnuts can be fixed in place using a simple nut and bolt to do the "flaring". Proper tool is obviously the best, but a couple of Rivnuts can be done manually quite easily. Done a few on a job once.

Screw the nut down the bolt, screw the bolt into the Rivnut so it`s all the way through the threads, insert the Rivnut into the hole in the frame, hold the BOLT head with a spanner and tighten the NUT down against the Rivnut, then keep tightening the NUT while holding the BOLT to stop it moving. This pulls the Rivnut against itself which causes it to flare into the hole, the splined outer diameter of the Rivnut then grips the hole edges. Once it`s pulled up tight, slacken the nut off and unscrew the bolt. Job done :)
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • dmch2
    Good idea for a couple of bottle cage rivnuts. And saves 20 quid to put in the upgrades piggy bank :)

(I bought the tool as I had loads to do on my car in some confined places. Just squeeze the handles)