any good trails in Essex

archer4
archer4 Posts: 86
edited October 2010 in Routes
I am looking for trails to go along short or long don't mind in Essex area. Any suggestion would be greatful.

Comments

• http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... t=12550063

Have a read though this thread, if it doesn't work it's Chelmsford, Essex - it's a bit flat
    in the routes section.
    There is a route guide for danbury and bplenty of people who meet up to ride it.
    there is also a dirt jump area in danbury common if thats your thing.
    Other places are epping forest (super muccy this time of year)

http://www.eppinghardcru.co.uk/

Also thorndon park near brentwood

And hadleigh where the olimpic mtb is to be held
  • Jimbo.
    Jimbo. Posts: 124
    There's one trail but it's quite a long 'un. It starts at Junction 30 of the M25. Pick it up there, follow it round to the M1, then follow that North to the M6, and then follow that Northwest to the M54 and then head west and keep going 'til you hit Wales. Once there, take your pick!

Essex is toss for MTB'ing, unless you like dragging yourself across dog flat, muddy/clay-laden fields with about 10 metres of climb/descent is your thing. Recently come back here from Wales (five years of it!) and I'm hating every passing second of it...
  • rikk
    rikk Posts: 734
    Think the first Q would be where about's are you and do you have access to a car as Essex is quite large :)
  • i live in Stanford-Le-Hope (East thurrock) i don't have access to a car i don't mind riding quiet a way.
  • Jimbo.
    archer4 wrote:
    i live in Stanford-Le-Hope (East thurrock) i don't have access to a car i don't mind riding quiet a way.

The nearest you have is One Tree Hill/Langdon Hills, although the "Hills" is something of a misnomer: they're more "small mounds". And what routes there are, really aren't worth bothering with.
  • yeah i no them as i go there when alot since i don't no were any more are there really short in there though :(
  • Hi, with regard to routes near to you I would suggest exploring the area around Chafford Hundred. There's the park area called Davy Down, it has a fast gravel track and the Mardyke Woods on the northside. From there you can go into the gorges, mainly Warren Gorge (steep in and out), Mill Wood (short downhill by steps), there is a very steep downhill run off Warren Rd (but with a gate at bottom!!) Lion Gorge and then Grays Gorge (enter from Devonshire Road, there's some nice tracks and small jumps/drops)

Also there is Belhus Park (haven't tried it myself yet)

Enjoy
  • Jimbo.
    MTB'ing in Chafford Hundred ("Chav'ud 'undred, innit..."), Grays etc? Comical :lol: The only excitement you'd ever get riding 'round Thurrock/South Essex is avoiding the locals hell-bent on nicking your bike from underneath you.

Learn to drive, get a car and head for parts of the country where it's actually worth bothering with.
  • Jimbo...if you can't offer any constructive comments then don't bother. Not many riders are able to slope off to Wales etc for great riding. They have to make the most of their locality and I am happy for anyone to make suggestions for alternatove routes in the area. Some of these routes are good especially for beginners to learn and get stronger on. So if you love Wales so much go back to your sheep friends.
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    ezzex boy whats the postal code for these roads?

Not far from the East End of London Il give it a wizz
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    Ask Seb Coe!
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    nonnac 85 Hadliegh Castle is another 20 miles further East
    Get your facts write before you write comments
  • nonnac85
    nonnac85 Posts: 1,608
    lol - just a suggestion
    My Website - Trail Centre info for the UK: MTB Trail Time
  • Jimbo.
    ezzexboy wrote:
    Jimbo...if you can't offer any constructive comments then don't bother. Not many riders are able to slope off to Wales etc for great riding. They have to make the most of their locality and I am happy for anyone to make suggestions for alternatove routes in the area. Some of these routes are good especially for beginners to learn and get stronger on. So if you love Wales so much go back to your sheep friends.

Ah but I am being constructive: I'm being realistic. Rather than try and get peoples hopes uo by suggesting that riding around some trees in a housing estate (i.e. Chafford) might be worth their whole, I'd recommend that people devote what time, energy and money they can to escaping our flat, bland, over-crowded and over-tarmac'd hellhole and going to places where it's actully worth borthering with. Let's be honest with ourselves: Essex (and esp. Thurrock) is utterly dross for MTB'ing, no matter what Seb Coe may think, nor what people may say about Eping, Langdon Hills etc

Failing that, accept defeat, get a road bike, get fit 'n' fast and then come the time you're hills, let rip on the locals.

And re. the sheep, just remember: "We shag 'em, you eat 'em!"
  • Jimbo...you are still missing the point. If you actually get off the road and explore you can find some nice tracks to ride. MTB is not just about steep downhills and practice is what a lot of people need not negative statements. Chafford Hundred might be a big housing estate but get off the road and explore the gorges and parks areas and you can find some nice tracks to practice on. Yes there are better places in Essex; Thorndon Pk, Epping etc but there's always somewhere off road to expolre. Its never going to be Wales, Cumbria or Scotland but its ok to practice on and get fit on. 'get a road bike' Why? I love going off road...where ever that is...dumb statement. Sheep statement well I need say no more really. Get that chip off your shoulder
  • Come on everyone, have you forgot about the Olympics which is coming to essex ie at Hadleigh downs, form stanford it's a doddle to get to straight down the A13. I also go over to Thorndon Park, Brentwood not very hilly but still not bad.

:lol:
  • buzz1
    buzz1 Posts: 374
    Come on, we've all had a drink.
    Having access to a car does help, but Danbury common, good for a laugh (check out vids on you tube for that one), also warley gap / thorndon, jump on the train to brentwood and it's only a five minute ride!
    Also look on google maps, scan the local areas (satellite mode) and you'll be supprised at what's on your doorstep.
  • sorry can't help you but I have heard Essex girls provide a good ride.....
  • buzz1
    buzz1 Posts: 374
    klerric wrote:
    sorry can't help you but I have heard Essex girls provide a good ride.....
    Is mum from there?, coz I think I've fcuked her.
  • Hi Archer4. I can understand why Jimbo is being as negative as he is. It's very easy when studying the MTB mags to start believing that only what you see on those glossy pages is good enough. Your hardtail has to cost more than £300 and your full sus must've put you back at least £1000 for example. Also, anything less than a Welsh bike park and you're wasting your time. Well don't believe a word of it. The bike you have is good enough, and the countryside around you is fine and dandy.

Essex is a big county and has some truly beautiful countryside which is excellent for mountain biking. If extreme downhill is the only thing for you then fair enough, you're stuffed. However, if a blast through the woods does the trick then you're spoilt for choice. Not having a car will be a real handicap, and the fact that your local railway goes nowhere is also a pain (go to Upminster and from there to Romford and you're laughing), but where there's a will...etc. You need to hit the Ordnance Survey maps. They really are the poor man's helicopter!

Off the top of my head, try the bridalway around the perimiter of Weald Park in Brentwood. It's short but very sweet. Thorndon Park is also a laugh. There is loads of stuff a bit further north but let's not get carried away. Your area is a little flat because it's a bit of a flood plain.

Or you could follow Jimbo's advice and give up. If he say's Essex is no good then he must be right. :roll:
  • archer4
    no i wont give up just buildt meself a Coyote Demon (2008) very nice to ride and i going up danbury commons soon and i will probly go thorndon soon too.
  • That is the correct answer. Top man. Perhaps I'll see you over Danbury way sometime.
  • archer4
    :) hope so (Y)
  • archer4
    does anyone know if this is a good place to pracitise Great Wood near southend end looking on the map throught to southend and saw that let me know please
  • im in thurrock and there is very little to choose from, as mentioned earlier you have chafford and davy down which are all quite short rides, davy down has some fun short downhill sections which when the council dont rip it up, has some small local built mud jumps.
    other then that there is belhus country park that i lived on the doorstep of and know like back of my hand, its all bridal paths lakes and fields nice for a long lazy ride but all relativly flat.
    iv not been brentwood/warley gap yet but im told its ok there thats my next target to try out on my new bike :)

clare
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    well if you look me up on everytrail.com theres a few trips around essex on there, but there's far worse places to be living than good ol essex for riding. get on the link the explosive pete put up.
    As for Jimbo. get a life, wales is great, cannock is great but we cant all go there every weekend. Essex has its fair share of good riding.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty