Winter Top

Devon Lad
Devon Lad Posts: 75
edited November 2010 in Road beginners
Was just wondering whether anybody could recommend me anything to wear while out cycling this winter. I've currently been braving it with a short sleeve jersey with the base layer I wear for rugby underneath. I have had a look round my LBS and been overpowered by all the different options :shock: Is it best to go for a simple long sleeved jersey? A coat over my short sleeved jersey? Or any other combinations?
Also some of the long sleeved apparel sold seems to be a cross between a jersey and a coat such as the Gore Phantom jacket.... Are these worn with or without jerseys? :shock:
Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    On One have a Merino wool jersey for £27 ATM.

It's meant to be really good, and Merino is crazy warm.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CLOOMER/on- ... ool-ls-top
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • forcutty
    forcutty Posts: 1,055
    thel33ter wrote:
    On One have a Merino wool jersey for £27 ATM.

It's meant to be really good, and Merino is crazy warm.

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/CLOOMER/on- ... ool-ls-top

and smelly :wink:

I just got a Gore Power II Thermo Jersey and am really happy with it.
    Though DHB do jerseys a lot cheaper.

I normally wear bib tights and long sleeve jersey during the winter months with extra layers underneath!
  • furrag
    furrag Posts: 481
    +1 for Merino wool.

Doesn't retain body odour through sweat, lovely toasty-warm, good wicking properties and doesn't seem to hold as much water as synthetic materials meaning a lower risk of hypothermia if you use it for commuting over the winter! :wink:
  • I've just ordered one of those On-One tops. Now we are starting to get a frost in the morning my regular tops aren't warm enough. If this does the job I'll probably order more while they still have them in stock. Well spotted. :D
  • jermas
    jermas Posts: 484
    A windroof jacket like the Gore phantom would be my choice. Worn with a warm baselayer will see you through all but the coldest days. Then possibly wear a thin jersey as well. Non windproofs are fine in milder weather but not really warm enough in the depths of winter.
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    You need a variety of kit to tackle the winter. A windproof is essential; waterproofs are too clammy to wear in the dry. So-called softshell jackets seem to work OK.
    Useful features are bright colour, reflective tape, underarm vents, high neck, dropped rear cut.
    When wearing a jacket, you dont need cycling features in your base and midlayer. A zip-neck is useful but rear pockets are useless.
    I use a merino T shirt, a long-sleeved jersey and a softshell style jacket.
    Also useful:
    Sleeveless "gillet" windproofs and light insulated jackets.
    Neck-tubes
    Full gloves.
    Tights
    Woollen socks
    Over-shoes or waterproof socks.
  • autobahn
    autobahn Posts: 114
    Its a tough choice knowing what to wear as once you get going on your ride you do warm up quite a bit. Ive not got much use of winter jacket which cost me a lot and I do go out regulary
    A bit of kit I find an excellent all-rounder is a gilet and would cover you for the majority of winter rides. I wear this over my base layer & short sleeve top with armwarmers.
    Its very light, windproof and if you get caught in the rain its brilliant also. Ive not been cold yet in it.
    Im sure others would agree on the Gillett. It would get you through winter on top of the gear you already have (armwarmers are essential if you havent got some) and will cover you for spring also. If its forecast to downpour a Montane rain jacket in my back pocket as emergency back up
    Only in the most extreme conditions would I use my winter jacket and I find it too warm and ask yourself , will you really go be going out in extreme conditions on a regular basis?
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    It depends on your definition of 'winter' - a 2 hour rides at 5 degrees is somewhat different to 4 hours at minus 5 degrees. Like others, if you have to go for one, go for one of the Gore Windstopper soft shell jackets - my fave is the Tool - loads of pockets, very warm and pit zips stop the fug. You only need a thin baselayer above zero and an extra layer when it drops below. Gilets are fine for spring and autumn, but you need something thermal and windproof when it gets colder.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    ^
    What he said.

Also be aware that merino wool base layers are available in different thicknesses, I have 2 for spring/summer/autumn and 2 for cold winter riding
  • rdt
    rdt Posts: 869
    Monty Dog wrote:
    It depends on your definition of 'winter' - a 2 hour rides at 5 degrees is somewhat different to 4 hours at minus 5 degrees. Like others, if you have to go for one, go for one of the Gore Windstopper soft shell jackets - my fave is the Tool - loads of pockets, very warm and pit zips stop the fug. You only need a thin baselayer above zero and an extra layer when it drops below. Gilets are fine for spring and autumn, but you need something thermal and windproof when it gets colder.

I used to use all sorts of combinations of jerseys with merino base layers, arm warmers, gilets, packable waterproofs, etc, and it's possible to be plenty warm enough, too warm even, if you pile on all the layers. I ride mainly hills, so that was a recipe for being either too hot on the climbs or too cold on the descent, else lots of faffing about.

Since buying a Gore Windstopper soft shell jersey/jacket (Oxygen SO, in my case), life's a lot simpler. On a bike it's largely windchill which gets you, so Windstopper (or similar) means you just don't need the layers. Down to freezing temp I just use the Gore with a short sleeve polyester base layer underneath. If not that cold, just a vest base layer underneath is sufficient. And without a ton of layers or a thick heavy jacket, stopping yourself getting too hot is also simpler. Plus, unless you're planning on riding in the rain for hours, you don't need to bother with an additional waterproof. If you have the dollar, I'd buy something decent like that, and make life simple.
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    It is odd that when you start to ride frequently you assume that a "serious" waterproof jacket is essential. I bought one,as have many others, but it is seldom used. The Montane lightweight jacket, stuck in the seat bag, is a great tool to get you home (mostly) dry. The rest of the trick for cold weather riding is layers, lots of layers plus a gilet and longs.

Overshoes, waterproof or merely showerproof do a good job in stopping your feet from freezing within minutes of departure when the thermometer is low.
    The older I get the faster I was
  • I wear one of these http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/isolate-e ... 129967905/ it's kind of a softshell

over one of these http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/deefuz-30 ... -82390329/

Kept me warm on my 6 mile commute at -1 degrees. It is actually running gear but I find it ideal for cycling and great value
  • nferrar
    nferrar Posts: 2,511
    Similar to rdt I find a decent windproof softshell is the key (like a Gore Phantom), underneath it you often just need a baselayer but can add a s/s jersey as well if needed. I have a couple of long sleeve jerseys and never wear them as they're not windproof so the only time they're good is when it's quite mild but then if the sun comes out you're stuffed so I prefer a 2/2 jersey with arm warmers for those situations.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    In winter I wouldn't normally bother with jerseys - go for a windproof jacket. If its really cold - wear extra layers beneath it. If it gets warm - unzip it.
    I bought a v cheap cervelo copy off ebay and wore that over the weekend - did the job well.
  • dru
    dru Posts: 1,341
    Yesterday I made a begineers error.

Winter ride, supposed to be wet from the start, forecast was rain about 3 hours in.

I dressed with bibshorts with leggings shoes, neoprene overshoes, base layer, cycling jersey, skull cap , helmet and a waterproof jacket (also waterproof gloves)

I cooked like a pig. At the halfway stage I was suffering, absolutely wringing with sweat. After the stop I was so wet and cold, but could not remove any clothing as this would have exposed my wet body to the cold.

Was the worst 70 milers I've ever done. Won't be making that mistake again.

I have some arm warmers and an old (ill fitting gillet) but it would have been ten times better than what I wore.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    I've got a Gore Phantom, which I can highly recommend !

I was out yesterday morning and there was a lot of heavy mist / low cloud, and a bit of a breeze, it was a chilly start. I was wearing my Phantom with nothing underneath and I was fine. My brother had on a Craft long sleeve base layer and his long sleeved jersey, but was suffering a bit with wind chill. Had it been a sunny day, rather than having that damp misty air, he'd probably have been ok.

Go for wither a flaxible combination of layers and arm warmers, or something like a Gore Phantom.

I'd go for the Gore, as it's something you'll wear all winter. I find that the layered combo, is only really useful for a couple of weeks at the beginning of spring and again at the beginning of Autumn. Once the air gets that damp tinge to it, wind chill is even worse, so you want to keep it out.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Thanks for all the advice guys, I think it sounds as if I am going to have to bite the bullet and splash out on the Gore Phantom, it looks pretty tidy and seems to be alright in pretty much anything except -20 degrees or so, or in torrential rain.
    So much of this cycling lark seems to involve you starting out with a tight budget with an eye for a bargain, and you always eventually seem to come out the other end with the idea that spending a huge amount of money was the best option :lol:
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Devon Lad wrote:
    Thanks for all the advice guys, I think it sounds as if I am going to have to bite the bullet and splash out on the Gore Phantom, it looks pretty tidy and seems to be alright in pretty much anything except -20 degrees or so, or in torrential rain.
    So much of this cycling lark seems to involve you starting out with a tight budget with an eye for a bargain, and you always eventually seem to come out the other end with the idea that spending a huge amount of money was the best option :lol:
    Yep, that's about right :D

I've used the phantom when the temperature is close to freezing with just a long sleeved 'Ice Breaker' merino base layer, I was toasty, so I wouldn't worry about the cold. I've also been caught out in the rain and it's fine. You're right though, it won't cope with heavy rain.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved