03 Orange Patriot rear shock, Headset and fork questions

gtd.
gtd. Posts: 626
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Just bought a 03? Orange Patriot frame and rear shock

It is the 18" frame with the 5th element rear shock
Patriot_18_5th.jpg
According to the specs the 04 can run a 100-130mm travel fork
Gismo_Patriot.jpg although the 03 is a slightly different frame as it has 5-6" travel the 04 just has 6"...
Patriot-5th-Element.jpg

My hellcat has 100mm travel Reba dual air forks with a 1/8" carbon steerer, would these be suitable till I can upgrade to something like Revelation Dual air U-turn 100-130mm travel

My current frame has a 190x50 Rockshox Monarch shock d3? tune, would that be a better shock to run than the 5th element coil sprung shock, might swap them over. as I broke the rebound adjust on the DNM shock my hellcat came with or I'd return the it to stock.

I weigh 17-18st so upgraded to air shock and forks on my hellcat from Suntour XCP-95 forks and DNM Torch AR22MM rear shock for ease of tuning

... and finally what headset should I be looking at for a 1/8" aheadset steerer?

Thanks
Si.[/img]
Mountain: Orange Patriot FR, SubZero & Evo2LE.
Road: Tifosi Race Custom.
Do it all bike: Surly Disc Trucker 700c/29er

Comments

• *AJ*
    *AJ* Posts: 1,080
    GTD. wrote:
    Just bought a 03? Orange Patriot frame and rear shock

It is the 18" frame with the 5th element rear shock
    Patriot_18_5th.jpg

[/img]

The frame with the two mounting holes like the picture is the 04 model.

Do you have that frame? if so is one really a 5 inch mount and one a 6 inch mount? I just thought it was for a higher BB and steeper head angle?

As for your questions, we need to know more about the riding you intend on doing.
  • gtd.
    edited October 2010
    I was going off the orange catalogues and technical pages to get the frame age and adjuster setups.

>2004 has two sets of shock mountings for 5" or 6" of travel
    2004 Has one set of mounts for 6" of travel only
    2005> has the sliding mount like the 222

My Hellcat is set up for all day xc riding but isn't very agile, I have problems going through tiny slow speed sharp bends it just wont make sharp turns I have to stop move the back end round though I can make the same turns without stopping on my Terrago. It also doesnt fit in through the local bicycle kissing gates so I have to lift it over the fences and walk through the gate

Thinking of setting this one up for more off road as mine is more road/cycleway/bridal way riding. was looking for a frame that could cope with harsher stuff while I improve my skill as I have only been riding for a few months

Basically want to have more fun :twisted:
  • *AJ*
    It seems you know more about my frame than I do, lol and as a result today i'l be changing from 5 to 6 inches of travel. Lol. Orange identified my bike as an 04, However as you say the dual mountings are the 2003 model, mine must have just been late.

As for your questions, go for a cartridge bearing headset as these are more or less fit and forget. Some thing like an FSA pig pro etc will take a good amount of stick.

Your forks will be fine as a temp measure, whilst you save. But 100mm will play with the angles a bit and may make the bike feel nervous and skittish. My forks are 170mm, most people run 170mm boxxers or 888's on these so I think your spec of 100 - 130 is wrong. Orange themselves spec the bike with 150mm z1's and 160mm shermans.

I think really you wanna look around 130-150 for this frame. Run 5 or 6 inch out back as you desire, 5 for an xc whippet set up or 6 for hucking and DH.
  • gtd.
    I meant to write "According to the specs the 04 can run a 100-150mm travel fork" lol

Just picked up the frame today which hasnt been built since it came back from Orange for a custom repaint - black frame white swing arm, refacing and new bearings and hanger :D Got two sticker sets with it too the 02 and 04 sets 8)

Just bought an FSA Big PIG for now but a seal is missing :( so got to go back :evil:

Want a Green Team Hope Tech or just a normal black Hope one and get other Hope goodies :D

Going to fit the Hayes HFX9 HDs to it but can't decide which levers to fit.. I have a set with Hayes BFLs and as set with Straitline X-Rays

Need a seat post clamp but the shop didnt have one :(
  • *AJ*
    What do the sticker sets look like? Can you get a pic? I'm after a set....
  • gtd.
    Not the greatest pic
    patriot.gif :oops: