TFtuned v Mojo spring calculator

clen666
clen666 Posts: 36
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I have used the spring calculators on both the mojo and TF websites to try and find what spring I need for my Giant Reign X2.

Would I use the spring recommended for the DW-link system on the TF website? As I believe the maestro system is similar to this, correct?

If so, the recommended rate from TF is 591, but the rate from Mojo is 658.

Anyone know which would be more suitable?

Cheers

Comments

• 600ibs/inch spring.
    Suspension servicing, tuning, parts, setup and race support
    Locotuning.co.uk
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    How much do you weigh?

I'm 85kg and (but I will double check if necessary) I have a 600 spring on my x1 which I find close to perfect, though initially I was thinking that maybe an extra 50 lbs would have made a more pedalable bike. I have the full 2 (3) turns of pre-load on it normally to keep me upright, which I take off for FR duties.

It came with something designed for an average rider, around 450 I think.
    Giant Reign X1
  • clen666
    I weigh 93kg. The bike is a large and came with a 550 spring, and I also have the preload wound on to the max.

Would a 50lb increase in the spring make a noticeable enough difference to warrant buying a new spring?

Cheers
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    No. I would say, go for a 700 if you are intending to use the bike as an all mountain bike, i.e. pedaling it. 50 lbs is just fine tuning, probably if I was on a 650 I could run without the preload for the same ride height but that's about it. In effect the MOJO calculator @660 is more accurate but I would still consider it to be a tad low, for your weight.

If I got one free I would fit a 650 :wink:

Either way you definitely need another spring and at the bare minimum 650 it has to be. Otherwise the bike will feel too saggy and your BB will be too low, bashing pedals and the bashring all the time.

Try nukeproof for cheaper prices than Fox, IIRC you have a Marz Roco rear, not sure re the size.

One thing - fitting a new spring, due to the thicker wire, is likely to be fiddly! I literally had to screw mine into the frame "cage", and again IIRC, first the spring went in, then I assembled the spring in the shock. Just so you know that it CAN be done.
    Giant Reign X1
  • clen666
    yeah I can see how messing about with the shock can be tricky, at first I thought the shock going through the frame was rather cool, but in reality is just plain awkward! Lol.

Thanks for your advice, you've been a great help, will hopefully get this sorted soon