Can I do away with Avid CPS washers?

supertwisted
supertwisted Posts: 565
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm trying to mate my Avid Elixir 5 front calliper with a 180mm rotor (post mount).

I have an 180mm pm to pm adapter and longer bolts, however the bolts are not long enough to accommodate all the Avid CPS washers.

Can I just mount it like any other calliper and do away with the CPS hardware? Or is that an intrinsic part of the callipers spacing from the disc?
Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.

Comments

• louse
    louse Posts: 80
    edited October 2010
    it is part of the caliper.

if you do away with them you will need a smaller rotor.

get longer bolts.

actually Avid use 185mm discs so yes it may be fine with a 180mm disc. unless you mean and Avid 185mm disc.
  • Bugger, thought as much.

Wanted to ride the sodding thing this weekend.

Ho hum - cheers anyhow.
  • louse
    see edit :wink:
  • Yes it is a 180mm rotor, but the adapter is also for a 180mm rotor (third party part, not Avid) so I don't have any extra clearence.
  • louse
    in that case you may get away with not using the CPS washers but you may need some plain washer if you get contact with the rotor.
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    What's the big deal about obtaining M6 bolts of any length required? :?:
    Giant Reign X1
  • 02gf74
    02gf74 Posts: 1,168
    from memory, these washer/cup thinkgs sit on either side of the caliper; the ones between caliper and adapter cannot be removed since they would bring the caliper in so it may contact the disc. The outer ones you may be able to do without, replace by washer but the cup arrangment allows you more adjustment to get the caliper in optimum position.

longer M6 bolts are the answer TBH.
  • Longer M6 bolts are indeed the answer but I'll have to order some as my local B&Q don't seem to do them and I'm looking to get out on the bike this weekend hopefully.

02GF74 - not a bad idea, I'll give that a try and see how well it fits.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    tried your LBS or a car accessory shop?

just removing the outer CPS washers will not give you enough threads to be safe.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown