Is GT85 the same as WD40?

Mozza1
Mozza1 Posts: 128
edited October 2010 in Workshop
Naive question I know but is there a difference? :oops:
Don’t want to open a debate as to which is better-just need a can of one or the other.

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Depends on application.

GT85 has teflon in it, otherwise they're pretty similar, GT85 is a better 'lube' and leaves frames shinier wd40 is a better water displacer

N.B. neither are very good lubes at all.
  • Mozza1
    Mozza1 Posts: 128
    Ta.
    Just wanted a can for general cleaning & water displacing duties (not just for bike).
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    WD is a bit better as a cleaner and water displacer. The teflon messes about with proper lube IME.
  • GT85 smells nicer than WD40 :wink:
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    They both provoke a similar response when somebody claims to use it as a chain lubricant :lol:
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    GT85 smells nicer than WD40 :wink:

+1
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • Mike67
    Mike67 Posts: 585
    You get a longer straw with GT85 :D
    Mike B

Cannondale CAAD9
    Kinesis Pro 5 cross bike
    Lots of bits
  • redvee wrote:

+1

Neither smells as nice as citrus degreaser - but I wouldn't use that instead of WD40/GT85 :wink:
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    redvee wrote:

+1

Neither smells as nice as citrus degreaser - but I wouldn't use that instead of WD40/GT85 :wink:
    Which doesn't smell as nice as a decent malt whisky - but I wouldn't use that instead of WD40/GT85 :wink:
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I've occasionally used Bunnahabhain as a cleaner or disinfectant, but that's not a particularly decent malt whisky. Difficult to get around to drinking it when I've also got Ardbeg Uigeadail on the shelf...
  • neeb wrote:
    I've occasionally used Bunnahabhain as a cleaner or disinfectant, but that's not a particularly decent malt whisky. Difficult to get around to drinking it when I've also got Ardbeg Uigeadail on the shelf...

I have a bottle of the 18 year, and its a fantasic malt!
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    I have a bottle of the 18 year, and its a fantasic malt!
    Maybe Bunnahabhain is like Bowmore - the younger malts are a bit iffy but the older ones are great. Mine's just the bog standard one (10yro?) from two or three years ago. I think even that one has been significantly improved recently.
  • I`ve got a rather fruity 18 year old for later :wink:
    Jens says "Shut up legs !! "

Specialized S-Works SaxoBank SL4 Tarmac Di2