Road surfaces?

Richtea70
Richtea70 Posts: 107
edited October 2010 in Road beginners
Hi all,

I currently commute 12 miles a day on my Subway 2 hybrid. However I'm really getting into the fitness side and like trying to shave a few seconds off my commute times everytime I go out.
This has got me thinking about getting a road bike rather than a hybrid. The thing that is putting me off at the moment is whether my local (Reading) roads are smooth enough for a road bike?
I always stay on the road and don't jump up and down kerbs or anything but some of the roads are pretty bumpy. Will a roadie stand up to a bit of stick from uneven road surfaces?
Any comments will be gratefully recieved.
Thanks
Rich
GT Idrive
Trek 6300
GT Chucker

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Hello Rich, I don't see a problem myself. Some of the roads here in Gloucestershire are dreadful in patches but my roadie brushes it all off (obviously I try and avoid potholes but have been caught a few times). If the roads are that bad then some decent 25mm tyres and padded gloves will help absorb any buzz, or you could even go for a CX bike but I don't think that is really necessary.
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    We all suffer from some horrendous roads, but this shouldn't deter you from getting a road bike.

As long as you don't hit every pothole in sight, you should be fine.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,236
    *insert obligatory Paris-Roubaix reference*
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Google or YouTube "Paris Roubaix Arenberg" and then decide whether the roads in Reading or rough or not? As long as you avoid hitting potholes, jumping off kerbs etc then a road bike with a wider training tyre can cope with most conditions.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I've been riding a road bike for just over 2 years now. Coming from an MTB, this was one of my concerns. I ride mainly quiet country lanes which don't come very high on the priority list for pothole repairs. Much of it in the dark, some in snow, some in heavy rain, all of which make said potholes hard to spot.

I have bog standard Shimano Rs10 wheels which have a low-ish spoke count, and 25mm Conti 4 seasons tyres which I inflate to 80-90 psi. I've lost count of the number of times I've hit things so hard I've thought I've broken a wrist or chipped a tooth, yet I've never had a pinch flat, and the wheels are still perfectly true. I'm always amazed.

I don't think you need worry!
  • Richtea70
    Cheers for the replies!

Seen the you tube clips and doesnt look like I need to worry!
    Particulary liked this one!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z1fSpZNXhU

Just need to find a reasonably priced starter bike now!!!

Thanks again,
    Rich.[/url]
    GT Idrive
    Trek 6300
    GT Chucker
  • Richtea70
    Which would be the better deal out of these two?

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_787351_langId_-1_categoryId_165710#dtab

or Decathlon

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/sport-1-54-57-69567468/

I'm edging towards the decathlon but the halfords bike is on offer two making them both the same price at £269. I realise they are both basic entry level bikes but thats all I want at the moment.

Rich.
    GT Idrive
    Trek 6300
    GT Chucker
  • bobtbuilder
    bobtbuilder Posts: 1,537
    Rich - what are you like as a mechanic??

The general consensus is that for your price range, a secondhand bike is a better option than a new bike. If you're OK with the tools, you can get a real bargain from Ebay, etc.
  • billysan
    billysan Posts: 575
    I was in reading last night on my road bike. Did a nice loop out past Caversham, Goring, Pangbourne, Theale and back. There are some pretty vile road surfaces most of the way but my bike coped fine with 22mm tires.

When I still lived in Reading I used to commute into the town centre every day on my road bike, no problems at all (other than in the snow when the MTB came out)

You'll be fine. Just keep an eye out for pot holes!
  • Richtea70
    Near me is a Specialized Allez, 3 months old for £250.00.

Would this be a better deal? I presume the warranty would be transferrable on the bike?

Rich.
    GT Idrive
    Trek 6300
    GT Chucker
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    Richtea70 wrote:

Would this be a better deal? I presume the warranty would be transferrable on the bike?

Rich.

Only 3 months old at that price ? .. if its not nicked I'd get it ! ...oh and that it fits lol
    No chance on the warrenty tho...although to be fair at that price I wouldnt worry about it !
  • Richtea70
    turnerjohn wrote:
    Richtea70 wrote:

Rich.

Only 3 months old at that price ? .. if its not nicked I'd get it ! ...oh and that it fits lol
    No chance on the warrenty tho...although to be fair at that price I wouldnt worry about it !

Yeah, it was up at £300 but as I'm local to him and can buy straight away he said he'd accept £250. Obviously I'll check re stolen but he says he has paperwork and reciept.

What would these be new, he reckons he paid £550 on CTW scheme?

Thanks again,
    Rich.
    GT Idrive
    Trek 6300
    GT Chucker
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    Richtea70 wrote:
    turnerjohn wrote:
    Richtea70 wrote:

Rich.

Yeah, it was up at £300 but as I'm local to him and can buy straight away he said he'd accept £250. Obviously I'll check re stolen but he says he has paperwork and reciept.

What would these be new, he reckons he paid £550 on CTW scheme?

Thanks again,
    Rich.

Wo wo wo if its bought off the cycle to work scheme, he MUST have completed all years payments as well as paid the fee for the bike at the end...otherwise the bike remains the property of his company. You need to check first.
    If all is fine though and the bike fits I'd say go for it :-)
  • '

Wo wo wo if its bought off the cycle to work scheme, he MUST have completed all years payments as well as paid the fee for the bike at the end...otherwise the bike remains the property of his company. You need to check first. '

that's for him to worry about though rather than the buyer...
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    '

Wo wo wo if its bought off the cycle to work scheme, he MUST have completed all years payments as well as paid the fee for the bike at the end...otherwise the bike remains the property of his company. You need to check first. '

that's for him to worry about though rather than the buyer...
    No, the buyer needs to worry because the seller is not the legal owner, therefore the buyer cannot take legal ownership of the bike. It will effectively be stolen from the sellers employer, and the employer could reclaim it with no recompense to the buyer.