7 stanes adventure

Sweatyhelmet
Sweatyhelmet Posts: 6
edited October 2010 in Routes
Hi folks,
New to the forum and back into my biking in a big way after a short break.
Celebrated my 40th last week with a week up in south west scotland at the 7 stanes.
Rode Mabie, Kirroughtree red and black, Dalbeattie and Ae, couldn't get my head round how quiet they were with only half a dozen cars in the car park on the busiest day, only my van in the car park at dalbeattie
Mabie was very wet and muddy after 24 hours of heavy rain but enjoyable nonetheless
Kirroughtree and Dalbeattie were superb if a little scarey in places, loved both of them, Could have spent a day or two in the dalbeattie skills area alone.
Kirroughtree was the top of the pile for me, did the red on the tuesday then went back on friday and did the red/black combo- seriously flowy riding with red kites flying overhead, cherry and coconut scones at the cafe.
Ae was the only one I wasnt that keen on, with no real payback for the climbing, kept dropping my seatpost for a descent only to find a climb again after only 10-15 seconds of downhill.
Only wish I lived 150 miles closer to them, Roll on next march for a return trip with a rockshox reverb if they pass the test of the english winter.
Sweatyhelmet 8)

Comments

• nick1962
    nick1962 Posts: 156
    Pretty much in full agreement with your assessment there .
    Next time try and venture up to Glentress and Innerleithen if you like "flowiness".Both flowy as a flowy thing can be! Only ever seen about 4 people in all my trips to Inners XC trail ,all on Saturdays too midweek even quieter.
    Pick and mix the red , black the blue at GT ,throw in a bit of orange on the bike park you'll have a ball. Bike park is always busy at weekends and Spooky wood can be too but my preferred option after doing Spooky is to go back up the shortcut fire road ,ignore the push up path to Spooky(if you can!) and go straight on to join the black Boundary trail.Then Deliverance........ you won't be disappointed.Never seen anyone on these excellent black bits on my last 3 trips and it feels a million miles from the hubub elsewhere.I like the contrast of the black with the red with GT black seeming more natural. Lots more choices after Rredemption climb,more rugged technical black then onto the smoother flowy red with a dash of blue then red for a finale before the cafe. I'm sure lots on here have their favourite routes too :D
  • I am heading to 7stanes the week after next for some enjoyable riding for a few days, probabaly Mon-Wed. I cant decide on Glentress near Peebles or the Glentrool trail at Newton Stewart. Any advice on which one to choose. (I have no doubt I will visit the other one later on, plenty holidays left).

I know this is not Tripadvisor, :wink: but I would also be interested to hear of any nice hotels near Glentrool. I think it will be the Peebles Hydro if its Glentress trails.
    Trek 1.5 Triple 2011 Black
    GT Avalanche 1 MTB 2007 Steel Blue
  • nick1962
    nick1962 Posts: 156
    Never been to Glentrool but from what I understand it's a pretty tame affair in comparison to GT and all the other trail centres with a lot more riding on fire roads/quiet public roads and more of a long distance scenic route.Depends what you're after.
    GT has some bits closed until the end of the month-see the trail conditions on 7 stanes website at present but would still be my choice. Innerleithen is only few minutes drive from Peebles/Gt as well.I think Peebles is a pretty decent place to stay too.
  • Davy-g
    Davy-g Posts: 401
    Glentrool is predominantly a touring route (tho some of the locals ride section of the trails in reverse :? )

Kirroughtree is good with flowy and techie sections...and a fair bit of off piste trails.

You would be better to stay in Dumfries as this is more central to the stanes... and also don't forget Ae forest, it has something for everyone...
  • Rider on the Storm...Glentrool is a pretty feeble affair...bottom of the 7 by far. Am just back from a few days in the Peebles area...nice town...good pubs etc. More importantly this puts you in the Glentress & Innerleithen locale...GT is very good, although has a few sections of red & black closed...Inners is awesome...best trails on this trip...the Red/Black is fantastic and feels more natural than most manmade trails...mainly 1 long climb and 1 long descent that finishes with the final section of the Make or Break DH trail. If you've the nads for it, give the Orange DH trails a go too...they're pretty damn sweet. Oh aye, there's timber cabins for rent in the field behind GT carpark & bike shop...(£50 per night for 3 peeps)
    "KEEP 'ER LIT N FILL YER BOOTS!"
  • Decided on Glentress for the mountainbiking, Monday and Wednesday. Based on what I was hearing I assumed it would be very quite, however, not counting on it being October school holiday week in England. So it was popular enough with the Osprey car park full each day and the lower car park with about a dozen cars.

I did the red and blue routes and found them very enjoyable with the climb up being worth the, at times, thrilling descent. Each trail had its own merits. I stuck to the trails rather than any of the skills stuff (probabaly because I don't have any). the route was well signposted with discreet markers. Each day was rounded off at the cafe with rolls with black pudding or sausage and egg and a big mug of tea.

Stayed at the Peebles Hydro and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I will certainly be back.

All in all a few good days riding only encountering the odd impatient individual. Do these guys not realise the trails are for everyone's enjoyment.
    Trek 1.5 Triple 2011 Black
    GT Avalanche 1 MTB 2007 Steel Blue