How much is Chinny worth

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited November 2010 in Pro race
39teeth just sent a link to here

http://www.velochrono.fr/actu/2010/nyga ... ur-183-me/

€1.2m salary and then 50% of that again as break clause.

Not bad and shows the Lux team have a nice wallet to work with.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,218
    He's the best non-GC rider in the peleton - by miles.

I'd say he's worth it.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    If that's his salary, I reckon he's being underpaid.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    RichN95 wrote:

That's upper end stuff, isn't it?
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • RichN95.
    iainf72 wrote:
    RichN95 wrote:

That's upper end stuff, isn't it?

I'm not really sure. I'm just going on what small bits of info about riders salaries I've read in the past (e.g Evans was apparently on 2.3m at Lotto). These may be all wrong though.

He's certainly in very elite with the likes of Contador and Cavendish so I'd consider around 2m to be a reasonable salary.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    1.2 is his current salary so I assume he'll be getting more.
  • his break out fee is 3million euro for his last year with Riis

so if salary + 50% is the break out then hes a 2million a year rider
  • The recent reports of the Vino-not-paying-a-year's-salary story had him earning E1.2m in 2007. On that basis, I'd have thought Cancellara was worth more than that now.

Anyway, I'm very pleased that he's signed up with the Luxemburgers. I suspect they'll be my favourite team next year having several of my favourite riders, Schlecks, O'Grady, Voigt and now Cancellara.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    He's the best non-GC rider in the peloton - by miles.

I'd say he's worth it.

No he isn't.

He may be marginally better than Pip, or vice versa.

And 2009 was a helluva year form wise - if he has a Ballan like problem early 2010, with no prologue in the Tour or Giro, he could look very overpriced.

Strava is not Zen.
  • rick_chasey
    calvjones wrote:

I'd say he's worth it.

No he isn't.

And 2009 was a helluva year form wise - if he has a Ballan like problem early 2010, with no prologue in the Tour or Giro, he could look very overpriced.

He's the best time trialist in the world over any distance, and he's the best one-day racer, and wins when his rivals are in top form too.

The only think Canc lacks is ability in the high mountains.

He regularly wins stages in the Tour, and has worn the yellow jersey plenty of times.
  • calvjones
    calvjones wrote:

I'd say he's worth it.

No he isn't.

He's the best time trialist in the world over any distance, and he's the best one-day racer, compared to his rivals.

He regularly wins stages in the Tour, and has claimed the yellow jersey plenty of times.

Wouldn't argue with any of that but he won't wear the yellow this year, and he'll be marked more than Boonen this year so if I was a new team, I wouldn't be paying him on the basis that his 2011 would be anywhere near his 2010 ( I meant 2010 not 2009 - I can't keep up!)

He is the best one day racer compared to his rivals, unless you count Pip as a rival, who has a better Palmares with less natural advantage [/contentious]. He doesn't 'regularly' win road stages in the Tour, either.

Strava is not Zen.
  • rick_chasey
    calvjones wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

I'd say he's worth it.

No he isn't.

He's the best time trialist in the world over any distance, and he's the best one-day racer, compared to his rivals.

He regularly wins stages in the Tour, and has claimed the yellow jersey plenty of times.

Wouldn't argue with any of that but he won't wear the yellow this year, and he'll be marked more than Boonen this year so if I was a new team, I wouldn't be paying him on the basis that his 2011 would be anywhere near his 2010 ( I meant 2010 not 2009 - I can't keep up!)

He is the best one day racer compared to his rivals, unless you count Pip as a rival, who has a better Palmares with less natural advantage [/contentious]. He doesn't 'regularly' win road stages in the Tour, either.

So who's a better non GC rider? You thinking Cav?
  • pb21
    pb21 Posts: 2,170

Its either Cancellara or Gilbert.
    Mañana
  • rick_chasey
    pb21 wrote:

Its either Cancellara or Gilbert.

It's not a contest.

Cancellara is probably the best TTer ever to have graced the sport, AND can and has won every proper (i.e. Spring - when the competition is fierce and in form) one day race he has targetted.

Pip got a few podiums in Spring, won the hilly classic that matters least, a couple stages in the GT that matters least, and won the Tour of Lombardy with the weakest rivals I've seen in a long time.
  • he'll be marked more than Boonen this year

i didn't realise he wasn't marked this year and the other riders let him go thinking they would get him back, when we decided to go he went and they could do nothing about it, i think pip needs to win some big spring classics to be put in the same sentence as fabian, its a shame he seems to come good end of season. Also you are forgetting how priceless he is at driving on the front of the peloton for k after k. Team Lux is looking like a superpower
  • calvjones
    I just don't see how you can win two hilly Lombardys, two Paris-Tours, two HVs, Amstel and multiple GT stages, plus podium in Liege, MSR and Flanders and not be considered 'in the same sentence' as Fabian.

You can argue Fab's 4 (?) monuments give him a better 1 day Palmares of course, but Pip is the more varied rider and this alone makes him worthy of comparison. When Fab wins something hiller than San Remo or Flanders, I'll doff my hat and pay my respects as easily the best of his generation.

But let's see how he goes without Riis (& Cecc?) first, eh :wink:

Strava is not Zen.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    I think both would be worth winners, they both have classics to their name. For me Cancellara delivered in the mid-season with wins in Switzerland and the Tour de France which puts him on a level above Gilbert. But the heart says Gilbert because of his resolute stance on doping (can o' worms time)
  • No_Ta_Doctor
    No_Ta_Doctor Posts: 13,195
    In terms of wages Chinny wins hands down though, for the simple reason that he's one of only about 3 or 4 riders that your average bloke in the street has heard of. He utterly dominates his niche. Lets face it, he's good enough at what he does that the gullible were even ready to entertain the idea he had a motor.... For that alone he's probably a better banker than a good GC rider who might even get a podium place on the TdF.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format
  • SpaceJunk
    SpaceJunk Posts: 1,157
    Cancellara v Gilbert?

Fabian - just - for me.

But I don't want Fabian to receive too big a pay rise in 2011. All that extra money could go straight tom his head.

The next thing you know he becomes la patron of the peloton and decides when the riders will sprint or just roll over a line in a Tour de France stage.
  • RichN95.
    The bottom line is both Fab and Phil are top quality, but Cancellara has been getting the big results consistently for longer - so he's more of a banker when it comes to wages (plus he has a higher profile). Phil's always got decent results, but only the big ones in the last couple of seasons.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    www.thevirtualmusette.com

Cancellara is high up on that list and there are very few active riders above him.

There are always going to be pros and cons of ranking systems like this, but it is pretty detailed, giving points for achievements as well as victories and podiums (In GTs and Worlds only).
    Contador is the Greatest
  • mangaman
    mangaman Posts: 704
    calvjones wrote:
    I just don't see how you can win two hilly Lombardys, two Paris-Tours, two HVs, Amstel and multiple GT stages, plus podium in Liege, MSR and Flanders and not be considered 'in the same sentence' as Fabian.

You can argue Fab's 4 (?) monuments give him a better 1 day Palmares of course, but Pip is the more varied rider and this alone makes him worthy of comparison. When Fab wins something hiller than San Remo or Flanders, I'll doff my hat and pay my respects as easily the best of his generation.

Cancellara has won 4 world championship TTs and the Olympic TT as well as the 4 monuments you mention. Frankly if he were to suddenly start winning hilly races I would get suspicious.

The 4 "monuments" you mention eg a win at Paris-Roubaix would be worth a hundred times more to a rider than a win at Het Voelk or Lombardy!

There's no doubt he's the best TTer/ classics man around.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    mangaman wrote:
    calvjones wrote:

Cancellara has won 4 world championship TTs and the Olympic TT as well as the 4 monuments you mention. Frankly if he were to suddenly start winning hilly races I would get suspicious.
    The 4 "monuments" you mention eg a win at Paris-Roubaix would be worth a hundred times more to a rider than a win at Het Voelk or Lombardy!

There's no doubt he's the best TTer/ classics man around.

Why?
    If he started winning GT mountain stages, then yes. Hilly one day races are not beyond him - I seem to recall the Worlds in Medrisio was pretty hilly. As was the Olympics RR.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Hilly one day races are not beyond him - I seem to recall the Worlds in Medrisio was pretty hilly. As was the Olympics RR.
    I think some have their suspicions about these rides :wink:
  • calvjones
    As much as I like Chinny (well, until recently) there's not a single rider who's done well with Riis who I don't have my doubts about with the *possible* exception of Carlos.

Particularly ex-Fassa ones (hi St Ivan :wink: )

'When the Fassa Bortolo team was discontinued, Cancellara signed a three-year contract with Team CSC, starting from the 2006 season. Before the 2006 Paris–Roubaix he said he had never been better prepared'

:D

Strava is not Zen.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Kléber wrote:
    Hilly one day races are not beyond him - I seem to recall the Worlds in Medrisio was pretty hilly. As was the Olympics RR.
    I think some have their suspicions about these rides :wink:

Really?
    Who, why and on what grounds?