Is an old cyclocross bike still competitive ?

jobbybohn
jobbybohn Posts: 3
edited October 2010 in XC and Enduro
I have a 13yr old who has just sorted a competitive Mountain Bike but now understand it is cyclocross season. Before I rush out and spend up to £1000 on a bike I have aquired a 531 framed cyclo cross bike with GP4 rims that use tubs (didn't know what they were!) for next to nothing.

Are tubs still used in cyclocross?? I believe it would be good to have his mountain bike as a spare with narrow tyres just in case of a problem.

Am I doing things wrong?

Jobby.

Comments

• mountain bike season - lol

cx is mostly about mad fitness levels. He'll be fine.
  • and tubs are great, if a touch expensive!
  • lyn1
    lyn1 Posts: 261
    Even at under 14 level there are a wide range of bikes at various price ranges that appear at races. While the bike/wheels will influence how competitive it is, the person sat on it will be more relevant in most cases at this age. Tubs are the prefered tyre for more serious riders as they are generally quicker and provide more scope for running at various/lower pressures although you are restricted and can't just change to a different tread profile if conditions change from week to week..as they are glued on. If they puncture you will need to send them away for repair (if worth it) usually £8-£10 each or buy new ones at anything from £15-£60 each. Some cheaper 2nd hand on ebay. As the wheels are tub wheels you can't run clinchers on them.
    Given the choice I would go for clinchers at his age/level but clearly you didnt have a choice and the tubs are fine to race on ...... if he's lucky he may get through the season without puncturing. Plus, if you got the bike for a song its fine to see if he likes cross. You could then get a better one later and use this as the spare.
    Hope he does well.
  • I am very pleased with the encouraging comments made.

We bought the bike from someone who has retired having won his level for 12 years running. Whilst it is old and not really todays style it is only 9Kg in total. Possibly the biggest draw back is the gear lever is mounted low down on the frame.

We'll try our best.

Again thanks to everyone who have given us great feedback .

Jobby.
  • It will be more than fine to start with.

Tell him just get out there and enjoy himself and when he passes or finishes in front of somebody on their latest million dollar carbon cyclo-x bike point that out to him.
    Myprotein referral code mp288135 (get money off)