Banjo for Shimano SLX Caliper

gritt
gritt Posts: 3
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Has anyone got experience of putting a banjo fitting in a 2010 SLX caliper?
I have spoken to my local shop and to Goodridge and both can't help.
I believe the thread is M8X0.75 (can anyone confirm this).
I have looked at shimano tech docs [/url]http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/BR/EV-BR-M665-R-2802_v1_m56577569830646636.pdf[/url]
but there is no mention of a banjo fitting for this caliper.

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Thanks

James

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so this a caliper that does not normally take a banjo?

so it does not have a machined surface for the banjo?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    CRC stock olives and inserts

AFAIK the ends aren't 'banjos' - they just run straight in, so you just need a loive and insert to trim them.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • gritt
    gritt Posts: 3
    There is enough of a flat surface for a banjo to seal, it's the banjo and bolt that I'm struggling to source.
    I could go to dash 2 line from Goodridge and use one of their 8mm banjos but that would mean that I have to replace the entire line including lever fitting and possibly machine an M8x0.75mm banjo bolt from scratch. I'm hoping that there will be a banjo that will fit my existing shimano hose.
    The reason I need to fit a banjo is that the caliper is underslung on my frame (Santa Cruz Chameleon) and using a straight fitting into the caliper means that there is quite a big loop of hose that is just waiting to get snagged and ripped off.

James
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    This is a left field idea but........ generic Giant brakes are basically Shimano calipers which use banjo fitting, but I doubt you can get hold of Giant banjos as a one off.

I've fitted banjos to blank Formula cables in the past (on my 456 with closed loop frame guides). I used these banjos.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=22472

If these fit Shimano hoses (which I would suppose they will) and your calipers will accept a banjo fitting, then you're there.
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer