lol proper newb punture question

mak3m
mak3m Posts: 1,394
edited October 2010 in MTB beginners
think im going mad

on my gt if im repairing a puncture i just push my tyre bead down into the rim shimmy around the wheel and pop the tyre off the rim and get on with repair or replace.

mrs mak3m got a puncture on her claude butler, mt20 double wall rims with kenda kyote tyres

i cant for the life of me get them off, tried by hand with levers and even drafted in the screwdrivers but to no avail.

i can get one small section over the rim but then its so tight the tyre wont budge another mm and i cant force the rest of the bead out.

Im no walter wimp and even turning bright shades of red and making the veins in my neck bulge i cant shift it at all

am i nuts, am i doing something wrong, any advice before i get my stanley knife out and cut the buggers off would be appreciated.

Comments

• put 2 tyre levers next to each other and force the tyre over the rim. once it is over, push down on the tyre and remove one lever. now try and push the lever under the tyre at the other side of the remaining lever. either that, or swear at it. works for me!

....or fill it with tyre weld and pray.
    :lol:
  • Casbar
    Casbar Posts: 168
    Have you let the air out of the tyre ? :D

Maybe its just too cold...put the weheel in the aring cupboard for a while and try again
    exercise.png
  • mak3m
    lol 90 mins and my fingers have given up

@bob swearing a plenty tried the tyre lever method when i couldnt get it off by hand :D

@casbar cant hurt sticking in airing cupboard now :D
  • LjStronge
    LjStronge Posts: 287
    The easiest way to get a tyre off or on is the following.

To get a tyre off, let the air from the inner tube, now pinch the tyre beads (if you have beaded tyres, if they are folding , then just the edges) into the MIDDLE of the rim.

So you are putting the edge of the tyre together in the middle of the rim. This gives you a lot of play as the inner depressed rim around the wheel gives you more room for movement.

Then hook one ege over the rim while keeping the rest of the tyre together in the middle. Then slide a tyre leaver round, job done.

This is even easier to use this technique getting the tyre on in my opinioin. I have ZTR Crests and 355's - without this technique they are a nightmare to get tyres on or off, with this technique. No Bother
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2009.
  • mak3m
    lj thats the method i normally use

well in the airing cupboard didnt work either.

im starting to think it might be an embarrasing trip to my lbs see if they have some proper tyre spanners, just sanpped mine :oops:
  • i dont believe it!
    talking of tyres.... a bloke has just brought a cement mixer in with a puncture!.... gonna need some bigger levers! LOL
  • Buckled_Rims
    Buckled_Rims Posts: 1,648
    Just put a slick tyre on my MTB spare wheel and only used my hands. Now, if I tried that with the usual knobbly tyres I'd be screaming with pain and have to use at least 2 levers.

If you're at home try a bit of washing up liquid to slide them on. Just smear the rims.

Now if you want a real laugh try and put new Schwalbe Marathons on a road bike wheel....it's great fun....the whole family laughs as you swear and sweat for about 2 hours using only 2 hands, 2 legs and 3 tyre levers.

:wink:
    CAAD9
    Kona Jake the Snake
    Merlin Malt 4
  • bennett_346
    bennett_346 Posts: 5,029
    Get kevlar beaded tyres 8)
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    shout at it until it comes off
  • mak3m
    oh sweet lord got it off

struggled to get it back on

*snapped*

grabbed a screwdriver and yanked the damn thing back onto the rim and sliced stright through the tube :x :x :x :x

back to LBS for an :oops: visit might get a slime tube to avoid further :oops: everytime mrs maks rides over a thorn