Cycleops Fluid2 Resistance

dave_rudge
dave_rudge Posts: 22
edited October 2010 in Road beginners
Hey Guys,

Ive just bought a Cycleops Fluid 2 Turbo - Ive had a bit of a go on it and my first impressions are that im a bit disappointed with the resistance - it feels like I need to be in the toughest gear to feel any! I know that alot of the reviews said that it wasnt a great turbo resistance wise, although I dont think I was expecting it to be so bad.

But im prepared to give it the benefit of the doubt - is there anything I could have done in the set up to make the resistance lessen, ie do I need to put the roller closer to the back wheel?

I think i also read somewhere that it takes 10mins for the fluid to warm up which will increase resistance - is this the case?

Any tips / experiences would be much appreciated!

Comments

• PieterM
    PieterM Posts: 167
    I have had one for 5 years now and like it (as much as you can like a turbo trainer...). The resistance gets a lot stronger after about 5 minutes I find, so it gives you a nice easy warm-up before you start your session.
    European Cycling Trips: http://bikeplustours.com
  • I have the Jet Fluid Pro model which is very similar, and it does take a few minutes to warm up. Even so I find I'm on the top chainring before I get enough resistance to make my thighs burn.

Cycling Weekly reviewed ten turbos and gave the Cyclops Fliuid 2 10 out of 10 ahead of the Tacx and Blackburn models. :D
    "Get a bicycle. You won't regret it if you live"
    Mark Twain
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    With many turbos the difference between easy and bloody hard is often only a km/h or so i.e. they're not road-like. I'd be amazed if you could turn a cadence of 100rpm in your top gear (assuming you have typical roadbike gearing) for very long once the thing has warmed up.
    More problems but still living....
  • Mr*Paul
    Mr*Paul Posts: 33
    I must agree with the other's here, they do need a warm up as do you if you're using one of these properly as a training aid. If you haven't already, try and get some simple training plans off t'internet. i have used some very simple plans; power increase and lactic acid threshold and a steady stepped plan ...and trust me ! by the end of the sessions you'll be thinking your legs have gone to mush or the resistance fairies have sabotaged the turbo. make sure you apply a good cadence as well ...as Lance has proved it's all about fast !

...on the other hand if this still fails, you might just have a duff one that is low on fluid from manufacture ...return it and get another these turbos are a great training/winter aid !!

Paul
  • Mr*Paul
    Mr*Paul Posts: 33
    Dave

I found the trainer plans i used; they were actually off this site, give them a whirl ! I think you'll find if there's a problem with your turbo you'll find out on the sprint execise !!! because your legs will be crying for less resistance.

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/fitness/a ... ning-24170

hope this helps

Paul
  • Will.C
    Will.C Posts: 245
    You have pulled the leevr up haven't you? You can adjust the resistance by twisting the yellow lever round which either pushes or pulls the roller closer/further away from the tyre, then when the bike is installed, pull the lever up and you're good to go.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHvoOnLgsL8
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    mine is the same,how close to roller does tyre have to be?just touching or pressed hard against it.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    Errrrmmm... There are instructions for these, should be in box!
    I have had a Fluid II for a while, now, and it's anything but bloody easy if it's set up properly.
    I use it regularly during Winter for intervals and also Power Tests.

EDIT:

Check here
    Links to instructions and video...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • chill123
    chill123 Posts: 210
    some good info here about how to set up the fluid 2.

i turn the yellow handle until the rear roller is just about to touch the tyre, then flip the lever closed. the resistance seems to be spot on.
  • andy162
    andy162 Posts: 634
    The resistance on a Fluid 2 isn't really adjustable. The faster the rear wheel turns, the harder it becomes. They're great for a "realistic" riding experience ( is that possible on a turbo??) but not so good at low cadence power work.

As someone else mentioned, stick it in 53/12 & hold 100rpm...plenty hard enough.