BMW ad shows close passing of cyclists. Not cool.

downfader
downfader Posts: 3,686
edited December 2010 in Campaign
Just seen an ad on the telly for the new BMW X3. The driver passes a group of cyclists donned in blue lycra (I think) with about a foot to spare. :?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NLPUJxCbaZI

Comments

• trailstar
    trailstar Posts: 114
    its cgi....
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    trailstar wrote:
    its cgi....

So..? People will see it as an acceptable distance to pass a cyclist.
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    I watched expecting to see what you described, to me it looks like a nice safe overtake.

I'd be happy to be overtaken like that every time.
  • lae
    lae Posts: 555
    BMW advert shows skiier almost flying into car. Not cool.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    downfader wrote:
    trailstar wrote:
    its cgi....

So..? People will see it as an acceptable distance to pass a cyclist.
    I'm more worried that people will see it as acceptable to drive a BMW
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,243
    Is the poster serious?
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I remember seeing this the other day and thinking "yeah right, I wish BMW drivers would give me that much room".
  • clanton
    clanton Posts: 1,289
    Graeme_S wrote:
    I remember seeing this the other day and thinking "yeah right, I wish BMW drivers would give me that much room".

Not to mention a friendly wave!
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    The OP has too much time on his hands :roll: .
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    clanton wrote:
    Graeme_S wrote:

Not to mention a friendly wave!

Looked more like 2 fingers to me - and if the passenger hadn't been obscured by a rider's head you'd have seen him mouthing "single file" out of the window.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • This is a good advert for BMW reinforcing that indicators remain an optional extra. Looked almost like evasive action on the part of the motorcyclist. Perhaps BMW drivers are fighting for the crown back from Audi drivers?

Who cares? It's only an ad.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • priory
    priory Posts: 743
    helm2.jpg

2 weeks ago a bmw did this to my helmet, so they're still not my favourite make.

TerryJ
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

http://s189.photobucket.com/albums/z122 ... =slideshow
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    That's the ad showing ignorant f*ing cyclists riding 2 or 3 abreast on a narrow road isn't it.

Bob
  • priory
    so you think if its a narrow road you should ride the gutter and let the cars squeeze past at speed do you?
    you'll be getting a wing mirror up the chuff sooon.
    Raleigh Eclipse, , Dahon Jetstream XP, Raleigh Banana, Dawes super galaxy, Raleigh Clubman

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    priory wrote:
    so you think if its a narrow road you should ride the gutter and let the cars squeeze past at speed do you?
    you'll be getting a wing mirror up the chuff sooon.

how do you get to that from a comment about ignorant cyclists riding 2 or 3 a breast?
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • priory
    the road they are on is not wide enough for 2 cars and one cycle to pass safely. It is safe for one car and two cyclists or two cars. If you ride single file and occupy the lane properly you might a s well be two abreast. The driver can safely overtake two abreast if there is no oncoming traffic. If you ride in the gutter you are inviting the two cars one bike situation which one day will bite you.

• spen666
    spen666 Posts: 17,709
    priory wrote:
    the road they are on is not wide enough for 2 cars and one cycle to pass safely. It is safe for one car and two cyclists or two cars. If you ride single file and occupy the lane properly you might a s well be two abreast. The driver can safely overtake two abreast if there is no oncoming traffic. If you ride in the gutter you are inviting the two cars one bike situation which one day will bite you.

complete fail of logic there.

2 riders must occupy more space than one rider, unless you are suggesting when riding 2 abreast one should ride in the gutter.
    Want to know the Spen666 behind the posts?
    Then read MY BLOG @ http://www.pebennett.com

Twittering @spen_666
  • spen666 wrote:
    priory wrote:

2 riders must occupy more space than one rider, unless you are suggesting when riding 2 abreast one should ride in the gutter.

I believe that he is saying that due to the width of the road that if he was cycling alone he would ride in the same position as if he was the outer rider of 2 abreast, seems reasonable logic to me.
  • beverick
    beverick Posts: 3,461
    TheTroll wrote:
    spen666 wrote:
    priory wrote:

I believe that he is saying that due to the width of the road that if he was cycling alone he would ride in the same position as if he was the outer rider of 2 abreast, seems reasonable logic to me.

...and I (and by due reference to 'the primary position' John Franklin) would argue that riding in that position on such a road is, all things considered, the correct place to be.

It would be the rider to your left who denies you the ability to position further to the left to avoid danger that was in an incorrect position.

Bob
  • priory
    now you've got the two cyclists riding abreast on either side of the centre line. Are you quite sure you are a cyclist?

• priory wrote:
    helm2.jpg

2 weeks ago a bmw did this to my helmet, so they're still not my favourite make.

TerryJ

That will teach you not to leave your helmet lying in the road. :wink:
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks