New roadeeee

fallingoff
fallingoff Posts: 332
edited October 2010 in Road buying advice
I'm looking to move across to road riding,although I do a bit on my MTB I want to do more..I think.
Now that is the issue,as I'm getting older I'm looking to retain some level of fitness,I get a good work out with the mtb but I think I'd like to cover more road work.
Looking at Halfords they have a new range of road bikes the Ventura Vitesse fairly priced plus I get a work related discount which makes it more tempting.
I've seen mixed reveiws with their older range the Carreras,I suppose these would be the same?
Should I buy one of them new or a secondhander(specialized,etc)for about the same money?
I don't want to spend too much in case I don't like roading...
I know this question leaves a lot to desire but the more knowledgeable may point out things I've missed and I've always been guided correctly on here.... :D
thanks.

Comments

• Carrera Virtuoso is much better - that Ventura thing weighs a ton!
    Ribble Gran Fondo
    Boardman CX Team
    Trek 8000
    Sirrus framed 'special'

Prev: Avanti Corsa, Routens, MBK TT, homemade TT bike, Trek 990, Vitus 979 x 2, Peugeot Roubaix & er..Raleigh Arena!
  • clx1
    clx1 Posts: 200
    Go to a proper bike shop, that doesn't include Halfords!
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    CLX1 wrote:

Carrera bikes are fine, plus he gets a discount. Always worth getting your LBS to check it over after Halfords have sold it to you. :shock:
  • ShutUpLegs wrote:
    CLX1 wrote:

Carrera bikes are fine, plus he gets a discount. Always worth getting your LBS to check it over after Halfords have sold it to you. :shock:

Correct, there is alot of snobbery against Carrera bikes, but you could do alot worse for the money!
  • clx1
    clx1 Posts: 200
    If you do go to Halfords, don't say you weren't warned!
    There is nothing snobby about wanting to avoid poor products and services.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    If you know what you're looking for / at then buy used. Loads of folk buy a bike with good intentions then seldom use it. I paid 400 for a barely used but three year old 1200 quid bike. Look on ebay and gumtree but keep your wits about you.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!