£1500 Road Bike

PAULM888
PAULM888 Posts: 6
edited October 2010 in Road beginners
Hi All

Hope all is well.

I was just hoping I could get some suggestions from you guys.

I've got a budget of £1500, maybe could be stretched a tiny bit more if it's really worth it.

I'm 6 ft 2 and weigh just under 14 stone play all kinds of sports so i'm reasonably fit. I'm going to be using the bike mainly for commuting but the occasional sportive and odd race.

I'm just concerned that a road race bike maybe a bit to agressive in terms of positioning and I may need something a bit more upright to ease myself gently into it. Does it take a long time to get used to?

There is also the option of carbon and have not so good components or a decent aluminium frame with shimano 105 groupset roughly there abouts. Considering how often I'm going to be using the bike is it really worth getting a carbon frame and would it be suitable for someone of my weight?

Bikes shortlisted: trek 2.3, giant defy advanced, giant tcr advanced, specializied secteur comp, specialized roubaix.

Thanks very much for your time all.

Comments

• amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Have a look at Planet X SL Pro and Nanolight - you can get a lot better than Shimano 105 for your £1500.

If I was in your situation though I'd get a cheap 2nd hand bike for commuting and something nice for the weekends and sportives/races.
    More problems but still living....
  • thinbo
    thinbo Posts: 93
    CUBE Agree GTC Pro '10
    Giant Defy 2 '09
  • I'm also thinking about a bike for £1500, I've short listed Orbea Onix, Kuota Kharma, and the planet x's. Will be watching this thread for other suggestions though :)
  • Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Does anyone have any experience with a trek 2.3?

How would a Giant defy advanced 3 perform against this?

Thanks all
  • nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    How about this?

Puts many of the other suggested bikes to shame - willing to negotiate on price (need to clear some space).

Sizing looks right and as for the spec, nothing that you've mentioned so far is even in the same league (albeit you may be looking at new).

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... highlight=
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I knows it my bike - but a kuota kharma 105 (£1500) seems to cover all your bases - carbon fram - good spec
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,680
    There's a lot of choice at £1,500....

Check out the BR Reviews...
  • I was looking at this thread as I too am interested in a new bike for £1200 to £1500
    I too have some concerns about over ‘racey’ geometry :?
    I am also looking for a slightly more relaxed ride as I will mainly use new bike for sportives (and the odd commute to work on a fine day)
    I was looking a the Ribble Sportive or Gran Fondo (taller head tubes, etc)
    Plenty of bang for your buck?! :?:
    Any other suggestions – particularly bikes without a the pure racing set up
    Thanks
    ... must train harder
  • I've seen a chopper on ebay
  • Mr Dog
    Mr Dog Posts: 643
    I'm a big fan of Giant. The tcr advanced is a top bike. You should be able to search around for a 2010 model taking you from a 4 to a 3.
    Shop around and buy the bike that floats your boat.. you'll know when you see her 8)
    Why tidy the house when you can clean your bike?
  • Mr Dog wrote:
    I'm a big fan of Giant. The tcr advanced is a top bike. You should be able to search around for a 2010 model taking you from a 4 to a 3.
    Shop around and buy the bike that floats your boat.. you'll know when you see her 8)

No doubt a quality bike
    But the review in here - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 3-10-38575, says that it is an out-and-out racer
    The OP (and me) wanted something a little less aggressive.
    Any other ideas?
    ... must train harder
  • jdmotion
    jdmotion Posts: 43
    edited October 2010
    I recently bought a Condor Acciaio. I absolutely love it. Very light (even though it's steel frame [with carbon forks]), came with Campag Veloce, Campag racing wheelset and a Fizik saddle. They currently have a sale on so get on down there!
    While I was there a fella came in on a £4,500 Time carbon framed Dura Ace 'flying machine' and left the shop with a steel framed Classico model which he took for a test. Steel is back!!
    Getting slower as I get older, but getting faster the more I cycle.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Mr Dog wrote:

No doubt a quality bike
    But the review in here - http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... 3-10-38575, says that it is an out-and-out racer
    The OP (and me) wanted something a little less aggressive.
    Any other ideas?

The advanced defy 3 2010 is an excellent relaxed geometry bike, I bought mine for £1250
  • AndyF16
    AndyF16 Posts: 506
    CRC still have 2010 model Colnago Aces in 56s at a penny under your budget, that'd be my recommendation but plenty may disagree - I think mine's the doggie's danglies with a nice relaxed riding position but able to get a shift on (with the right pilot :oops: )
    2011 Bianchi D2 Cavaria in celeste (of course!)
    2011 Enigma Echo 57cm in naked Ti
    2009 Orange G2 19" in, erm orange
  • If you get something "less aggressive" to "ease you into it", you might end up a bit unhappy once you've been "eased into it" and 6 months donw the line find that you've got a high-barred, slack angled, heavier bike with dull slow handling, rather than a nippy fast race bike.

Modern carbon race bikes are surprisingly comfy and most people adapt to the position very quickly.

For my money, Planet-X.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,534
    Scott CR1 was my choice (I'm about the same height and weight as you and got a 58cm). It's a very good frame and the Comp model is reasonably well equipped for the price but there are lesser (IMHO) frames out there with better groupsets and wheels if that's your preference. It is an out and out road bike with all the handling characteristics you'd expect but has a slightly more relaxed geometry than the Addict which is more race orientated. I use mine for all the things you say you are looking at doing including a 38 mile round trip commute although it doesn't have any mudguard / rack eyes if that is an issue. Despite the relatively relaxed geometry it is more than at home in races as well.
  • There are various brands of full length mudguards that can be fitted to race bikes without bosses, Crud Raceguards seeming to be the best.