Rockshox advice

dan1502
dan1502 Posts: 568
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I just bought some Rockshox Reba Race 29er forks that were taken off a new bike a couple of year ago and have been stored since (they're the older model, pre-2008 I think).

Anyway, is there anything I should do regarding getting the oil in the right places, lubrication etc? Something in the back of my mind tells me I have read some procedures somewhere but I'm not sure.

Also any decent guides to set up including what the gate adjustment is all about would be helpful. Something that explains it all and suggests a good starting point. I've read the FAQ and the guide but am looking for something else.
Santa Cruz Tallboy

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Download the manual and service guide from RS.
  • dan1502
    I have done. Probably nothing to be done but I just had something in the back of my mind that I thought I'd read somewhere.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=1498056&highlight=Floodgate+-+please+explain...!#post1498056

About halfway down, post #13. This is the best explanation that I've found of how the Floodgate works and how it can be setup. Otherwise just use the FAQ on here for the regular dual-air bits. RS's recommended pressures are generally pretty good to start with. I, and most people I know with RS forks, usually run about 5-10psi more in the positive than recommended, then the negative is pretty much a matter of taste.
  • dan1502
    Thanks, that's just what I was looking for. I'll buy a bit of 15 weight oil for lubrication too and I'll need some to service the old forks before I sell them anyway. I have just used the recommended pressures to date so will try your suggestion.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • dan1502
    Having just read that article it all makes a lot more sense however I wish someone would just set it up for me as it's pretty complicated. My current forks have internal floodgate adjust and the new ones external. To date I've not touched it and have tended to have compression fully open on downhill or flat bumpy sections and locked on steep uphills and perhaps in the middle if up hill and bumpy. Too many variables for me to deal with and any suggestions regarding a good starting point welcome (regarding floodgate and compression).
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Take time to read it again, and it will become clearer. A lot o fit is personal preference.
  • dan1502
    Having read it late last night I was just thinking it's something I ought to read several times. Part of the problem is that I have little experience of these things so don't really know how the shock should feel. I'll read it again a few times and start experimenting. I think I have a pretty good idea how it works in principle - it's more about optimising the settings in practice that concerns me now.
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    Best would be to just set it up as RS recommend and then adjust as you get to know how it works and what your riding style demands from it. By then you'll have a pretty good idea what each adjustment does so you can be more exact with your tuning, rather than just changing some stuff and hoping for the best.

Internally adjusted floodgate is easy enough, just use the red rebound adjuster knob for it. Tbh I haven't changed mine in ages, and last time I think I only did it cos I was bored.