Wheel Builder Recommendation?

Gussio
Gussio Posts: 2,452
edited November 2010 in The workshop
Looking for a pair of wheels to used on a singlespeed project, with 120mm rear spacing. Am thinking of a pair of handbuilts, and would like to discuss requirements with someone before placing an order. I am sure that there is a wheelbuilder frequently recommended on here, but I can't remember their name and a quick search hasn't thrown anything up. Anybody help with a recommendation?

Comments

• PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    can't vouch for them, but i belive that wheelsmith.co.uk get recommended a bit.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    Do it yourself. It isn't difficult. Get Roger Mussons e-book
  • Just bought a pair of wheels from Harry Rowland (Novatec Hubs, Ambrosio Exellight Rims). Very helpful guy, quick turn around and they look very smart out of the box, fair price too! I am looking forward to fitting them Saturday and taking them out for a spin.

www.harryrowland.info
  • Gussio
    vorsprung wrote:
    Do it yourself. It isn't difficult. Get Roger Mussons e-book

Sage advice. £9 well spent....
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I use Rob Pennell if you still need a recommendation. He's based in Ash Vale, Hants. Have used him for the last three years.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • I think by now you've decided to do it yourself, but if not, I can only support the recommendation above for Harry Rowland. Had a long chat with him on the phone to discuss requirements, had my wheels finished in about a week, then picked them up from his house on a Sunday morning before he headed out on his club ride :D Very happy with the wheels.
  • Gussio
    Thanks for your recommendations. Am following the DIY route, which will give me something to do. Roger Musson's book is fantastic - it even includes detailed plans to build your own truing stand. Plan on constructing front and rear using Planet X pista hubs, DT competition spokes and Mavic Open Pros. If these fail catastrophically at the first trial, will give Harry Roland or Rob Pennell a call :D
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    Well - how did you get on?
    I've built half-a-dozen wheels over the last two or three years and fingers crossed, none have failed catastrophically....
    Halo combats on Hope Pro 2's for Morzine
    Mavic CXP 33's on Veloce hubs for Winter training
    Even renewed a 48 spoke rim on the tandem (very time-consuming!)
    Also had to firt a new spoke & true-up one of my Cosmic-Carbones which was terrifying
    and potentially v.expensive if I'd got it wrong!

Always de-stress the rims after the initial build and check after every ride for a cpl of weeks

Made my own truing stand, too, from discarded shelving brackets :shock:
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...