Saved from my local dump

mowflow
mowflow Posts: 212
edited October 2010 in Your road bikes
I was clearing out my garage recently and while at the dump one of the guys that works there told me he had pulled a bike out the skip that I might be interested in (I bought a very dirty yet otherwise perfect 2004 rockhopper pro disc of him last year for £20). Not expecting too much, lightning never strikes twice and all that. I was pleasantly surprised when he produced this Ribble 7005 Audax. Unfortunately The dumps prices have went through the roof and I had to pay £30 for this one :shock:

Everything you see in the picture apart from the saddle came on the bike straight from the dump and that includes the lights (batteries included).

Overall the bike is in reasonable condition. There's the odd scuff and the usual cable rub marks but no dents, cracks or even serious paint defects on the frame. The fork is perfect apart from some slight paint wear to the drop outs, however there is a bit of play in the headset so it will need replaced. The Campagnolo Mirage drive train all works and runs smoother than I would ever expect considering how much grime is covering the cassette and rear mech. Unfortunately one of the pedals has threaded the crank on the non drive side so i'll use this as a good excuse to start upgrading parts.

5118264193[img][/img]

Comments

• dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    Do you live in Mayfair or Park Lane or something? What sort of person just bins a bike that google says cost 600 quid only 3 years ago?

a quick ebay for a new crank and saddle and you've got £250 quid of profit or a great winter bike!

Not fair! :)

BTW your image link thingy isn't quite right.
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,559
    5118264193_f0e6e0f450.jpg

FIxed

Good find for that price.
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • mowflow
    Thanks for fixing the pic Wheelspinner. It's been a while since I posted a pic and I couldn't work out how to do it.

dmch2, I can never get my head round what people just throw away. I don't live in a particularly affluent town but the local dump seems to turn up the odd nugget of gold. The guy that works there now has my mobile number so I get first dibs on anything else that crops up. :D
  • dmch2
    dmch2 Posts: 731
    We had a similar thing round here when we dumped our (broken) CRT (ie oldstyle) widescreen telly in the skip the builders have in the front garden. Within a day someone had taken it.

Google suggested it was 50 quid of parts plus the labour of someone happy mucking about with high voltage power supplies plus any other parts that may also have gone. Plus it was 10 years old so no idea if the parts are still available - the google links were 5 years old. So for the 200 quid that it would cost to repair I got a new telly.

I guess if this was a TV repair forum we'd be moaning how silly I was for throwing a repairable telly out. :? :?
    2010 Trek 1.5 Road - swissstop green, conti GP4000S
    2004 Marin Muirwoods Hybrid
  • Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    maybe it is pinched and someone needed to get rid of it?
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,559
    Flickr seems to be a bit odd how the links work. The URL you had in your original post works fine if you paste it into the address of your browser, but there's another address behind it which is in fact slightly different. The actual address of your pic is:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4152/511 ... e0f450.jpg

Am sure there's a reason... NFI though!
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Andy! wrote:
    maybe it is pinched and someone needed to get rid of it?

+1

But great if it's not - a bargain.
    More problems but still living....
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Nice find!! and what good timing for winter :) Sweeet
  • mowflow
    I was a bit worried myself that it might be stolen so I asked the guy in my lbs just the other day if he knew of anyone that had had a Ribble stolen just incase. He said he hadn't heard anything but would ask about at the local club. When I discussed it with him we both came to the conclusion that anyone that had stolen it would be more likely to just abandon it than go to the bother of taking it to the dump.
  • mowflow
    dmch2 wrote:
    We had a similar thing round here when we dumped our (broken) CRT (ie oldstyle) widescreen telly in the skip the builders have in the front garden. Within a day someone had taken it.

Google suggested it was 50 quid of parts plus the labour of someone happy mucking about with high voltage power supplies plus any other parts that may also have gone. Plus it was 10 years old so no idea if the parts are still available - the google links were 5 years old. So for the 200 quid that it would cost to repair I got a new telly.

I guess if this was a TV repair forum we'd be moaning how silly I was for throwing a repairable telly out. :? :?

I took an old widescreen CRT that was still working to the dump about 2 years ago and when I took it out the car I noticed the guy that worked there watching me so I said to him that it was still working if he wanted it for his hut. He laughed and told me he had a 40inch plasma in the hut that someone had thrown out because the casing was cracked. :shock: