GT Aggressor Weights (If anyone is interested)

Jenny Taylia
Jenny Taylia Posts: 269
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi.

I don't know if this is the "Right Section" or not (Mods, please move accordingly)

just in case anyone is interested, I've just weighed 3 Aggressors and although not totally "Standard", it gives me and maybe someone else, an idea.

XC2 (2008) with Recon Air U-Turns and everything else has been transplanted from an XC1 (So you could call it an XC1 in an XC2 Frame, I guess). Got a prop stand fitted & slime in the tyres.
WEIGHT: 15.7 KG

XC1 (2009) with Race Face bars & clamp & seat post & DMR Pedals.
WEIGHT: 13.3KG
(I know the XC1 Frame only (Inc head set) weighs 2.7KG as I've got one of those to weigh too.

XCR (2009) As Halfrauds supplied, bog std.
WEIGHT: 13.0KG

As you can see, there ain't much difference between the XC1 & XCR (Unless the after-market stuff really makes a difference. :?: )

I'm wondering if the frames are indeed the same as eachother?

Whilst I have my mitts on all three bikes, I am going to remove forks, wheels, bars and do the excercise again to see once and for all, if the XC1 is the same frame as an XCR. ( I know the cranks & BB are different, so that may make my experiment not 100% accurate but I draw the line at removing those, for the sake of tinkering :lol: )

I will report my findings

Comments

• They all seem a bit heavy tbh, I would have thought they would be nudging 12kg instead of 13.
  • They all seem a bit heavy tbh, I would have thought they would be nudging 12kg instead of 13.

did them on digital scales and checked my work 3 times for each bike, the XCR did have a small pump attached but that aint a kilo.

It'd be nice if my scales were out, coz I'd be 1kg lighter :lol: but I fear they are not out. Should i let the air out of the tyres? :shock: :D

Only yankin' yer chain, mate. I didnt do it all scientificly, I just stood on the scales with the bikes, so if one is out, they all are and for me, it was all about the comparisons between the 3 models, as opposed to what weight the bikes are.

I must try harder :cry:
  • Doesn't matter, its just a observation
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    edited October 2010
    2.7Kg frame, careful, you'll get a hernia!

The only frame I've had that heavy was my old XL (22") Giant Rincon frame, all the recent frames I have weighed have been sub 2Kg.

My Friend has a GT Avalanche frame, stripped of paint and with the V-bosses cut/filed and polished off, 14" 1620g, My Kraken frame is 1742g painted, being sad I have every component weight for both my bikes listed from when I built them.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Probably about right, bikes are generally heavier than people want to believe they are! 13kg is still only 28lbs, puts them roughly on par with Rockhoppers, Trek 6000 series etc.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    6lbs for the frame? 4.6 in another thread ;-)
  • supersonic wrote:
    6lbs for the frame? 4.6 in another thread ;-)

there must be a hole in my technique coz I get 2.7kg for the frame and when I switch the scales to lbs, it reads 4.6lbs. When you convert 2.7 kg to lbs, it gives you 5.96lbs.

maybe I only weigh 11 stone, not the 16 that my scales say :lol:

Maybe i should find some calibrated scales

maybe I should just get out and ride :wink:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Sounds like rubbish scales! How can they give a different weight in different units is beyond me!

4.6lbs, while still a bit lardy is about right, so I guess the pounds is right and you still weigh 16st!

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Halfords suggest the xc2 to be 12.7 kgs completely stock.
    It might be a bit out, but i doubt if its 2.5kgs out!
  • leaflite wrote:
    Halfords suggest the xc2 to be 12.7 kgs completely stock.
    It might be a bit out, but i doubt if its 2.5kgs out!

where do you get this info. from?, where do Halfords suggest?

I've searched all over AND asked the question on this forum and no-one knows, even Halfords themselves!

ps. my XC2 is not stock, so may be heavier (kick-stand, suspension seat post etc etc)
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    If you find the xc2 on halfords' website, and then click the specification tab, at the bottom it tells you approx weight. This is backed up by a post in the customer Q and A tab:

Link:http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_512517_langId_-1_categoryId_165499#dtab