Interesting concept?

The Rookie
The Rookie Posts: 27,812
edited October 2010 in Commuting chat
OK, its not really cycling, but saw this...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJUx8W4t ... r_embedded

No pedals, so not UK legal, and the rear light position, half below the top of the rear mudguard is just stupid, otherwise as a means of making car commuting less intrusive at congested areas close to destination it looks quite innovative, now how about a pedaled cycle based on the same premise (fold into spare wheel well)?

Simon
Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.

Comments

• gpsBRM
    gpsBRM Posts: 123
    Looks like a good idea and a step in the right direction, not sure how long the battery will last though. When battery technology is in the right place these types of things could be all the rage.

Rear light is no worse than a Bromptons, if not better.
  • The Rookie
    Indeed, well try finding anything else out about the bik.e from VW's websites, this video is EVERYTHING they have so far released!

EDIT: a bit more here http://green.autoblog.com/2010/04/28/vo ... lity-devi/

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • SamWise72
    SamWise72 Posts: 453
    Bloody good idea! It'd be nice if they made a pedalled version too, mind.
    MiniLogo-1.jpg
    http://www.velochocolate.co.uk Special Treats for Lifestyle Cyclists

From FCN from 8 (road bike, beard, bag, work clothes) to 15 (on my Brompton)
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    Interesting that it fits into the spare tyre compartment... but then where do you keep your spare tyre?
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • The Rookie
    So many cars come without spare wheels these days anyway, I'm, not sure its relevant, as either
    1/ The car you have has no spare and no where to put the bike
    2/ You use 'fix in a can' like all the cars that don't carry spares.

A pedaled version would be good, but accomodating the fold between crank and rear wheel would require some inginuity, maybe shaft driven throgh the frame?

Simon
  • verloren
    verloren Posts: 337
    I'd like one in brown, then I could call it the Chocolate Bik.e

Thanks you, I'll be here all week...

'09 Enigma Eclipse with SRAM.
    '10 Tifosi CK7 Audax Classic with assorted bits for the wet weather
    '08 Boardman Hybrid Comp for the very wet weather.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Ghey - apart from the dancing girls at the beginning - they were great!
  • The Rookie
    Ghey?

• A pedaled version would be good, but accomodating the fold between crank and rear wheel would require some inginuity,

Simon

I may have misunderstood what you mean but many folders do this, my birdy 'hinges' around the BB and the rear end flips under the main tube, the front wheel swinging in from the other side and the handlebar tube pivoting down - the whole lot locked into fold by the seat tube dropping through the frame. very similar to this and R&M are a german company too, wonder if there's been a collaboration somewhere.

I like the concept and the look of the thing, very like the Gocycle, although that light is completely in the wrong place, half hidden by the wheel and lost in spray on a wet road. a car would be right on top of you before the angle was right to see it clearly, better to have extended the mudguard and built one into the end of that.
  • Wrath Rob
    Wrath Rob Posts: 2,918
    A pedaled version would be good, but accomodating the fold between crank and rear wheel would require some inginuity, maybe shaft driven throgh the frame?
    I'd imaging that's where the power pack is. You could have pedals powering a generator to top up the batteries and extend the range or provide a power boost, therefore eliminating the need for a traditional drive train.
    FCN3: Titanium Qoroz.