Chinny (Cancellara) next year

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited January 2011 in Pro race
According to 39teeth / Innerring, he ain't riding Roubaix or Flanders. His target is to win LBL.

It also seems he's going to win the Velo d'Or.
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,645
    yeah not a bad choice

given he rides the TT as well as the classics
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    iainf72 wrote:
    According to 39teeth / Innerring, he ain't riding Roubaix or Flanders. His target is to win LBL.

It also seems he's going to win the Velo d'Or.

If he is going to be in anything like the form of this year then I am glad is not riding PR or RvV, it will more interesting to watch and give some of the others a chance!
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    L-B-L? He's going to have to fit a bigger battery to that motor of his! Was this rumour started by the same folks who suggested he could be a GT contender too?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    if Chinny drops Pip up la Redoute or St Nicholas I will stop watching road cycling forever.

Strava is not Zen.
  • mididoctors
    calvjones wrote:
    if Chinny drops Pip up la Redoute or St Nicholas I will stop watching road cycling forever.

I wouldn't rule it out

more likley he can hang on and leave it for the l'ain
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    Especially as he wants to take his bike mechanic with him to whatever team he rides for next year...
    Half man, Half bike
  • He shouldn't be criticised for this. He sets himself very clear goals for a season, and more often than not achieves them. It will be.....intriguing is probably the best word.... to see if he can do it but fair play to him for havin a go
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    If he wins, I predict one of those "WTF?" moments like when Hincapie won at Plat D'adet in the category of "tooled up" wins.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Ridgerider wrote:
    Especially as he wants to take his bike mechanic with him to whatever team he rides for next year...
    His mechanic has reputedly signed for the Luxembourg outfit
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,817
    calvjones wrote:

In fairness, he's said before that repeatedly winning the same races doesn't hold that much appeal for him, having won a race once that is it marked off, on to the next new different target. Fairly logical to go from Flanders & Roubaix to, what ? GT ? - quite far-fetched, although minor tours are obviously achievable such as TdS, so if he is at the front for the hillier ones like L-B-L or Amstel or even if he can get away on his own then getting over the last few climbs would have him somewhere at the very sharp-end of the race at the finale.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    I'd be very surprised if he won LBL, he'd surely need to lose a good few KGs and hope that the climbers don't turn the heat up too much until the last few Kilometres. If Gilbert/Sanchez/Cunego etc go hard on La Redoute or another big climb then surely they could distance him? Then again he's an incredible bike rider so who knows...
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    I thought Chinny was looking considerably less barrel-chested at the Worlds this year. Maybe he has already started on the Slim-Fast plan?
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,231
    I'd be very surprised if he won LBL, he'd surely need to lose a good few KGs and hope that the climbers don't turn the heat up too much until the last few Kilometres. If Gilbert/Sanchez/Cunego etc go hard on La Redoute or another big climb then surely they could distance him? Then again he's an incredible bike rider so who knows...

He did it in Switzerland last year.

Can't see why he couldn't achieve that same level when it gets hilly.

He's one of those few riders who is very very good at targetting a specific race.

The opposite of Evans.

I'd say it's tougher for him than cobbled races, but certainly not out of his reach.
  • inkyfingers
    I think the 2009 TDS was pretty much designed for Cancellara to win, a week long stage race with diluted hills, a longish prologue and a 40k TT. In 2010 the route was tougher and he was nowhere near.

I don't think it's impossible for him to win LBL but i'd be very surprised.
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,137
    If he's targeting LBL, does this suggest that he's not joining the Schlecks, as that's one of the only two races that Andy can be bothered with.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • inkyfingers
    RichN95 wrote:
    If he's targeting LBL, does this suggest that he's not joining the Schlecks, as that's one of the only two races that Andy can be bothered with.

That's what I was thinking...maybe Andy will target Fleche or Amstel if Cancellara ends up on the same team.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    I don't doubt he *could* win it, with a following wind and luck on his side, but it has to be a long shot, and if he misses out, he ain't gonna win Fleche or Amstel, and there's no prologue in the Tour so it will be a very lean season indeed - not good for either a new team or BMC.

I'd like to see him try it, but if he succeeds, I hope its through the crap riding of others as in P-R, rather than dropping climbers on tough, longish hills which was my original point.

Strava is not Zen.
  • mididoctors
    LBL will be an ask but possible.... if he wins the Fleche from a bunch finish It really will be something... that's when Calvj should stop watching
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Does everyone forget his ride in the Worlds last year?

Or his ride in the Olympics RR? He's going to lose 3kg's and if he arrived at LBL right on the top of his form, he could win.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
    iainf72 wrote:

Or his ride in the Olympics RR? He's going to lose 3kg's and if he arrived at LBL right on the top of his form, he could win.

*ahem*
    He did it in Switzerland last year.

Can't see why he couldn't achieve that same level when it gets hilly.
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    He's one rider I wouldn't bet against if he says he's targeting a specific event.
  • shinyhelmut
    shinyhelmut Posts: 1,364

If he switched from NiCads to Lithium Ions that would save him a KG or 2 :lol:
  • Steve2020
    Steve2020 Posts: 133
    iainf72 wrote:

Doesn't seem much more surprising than Sean Kelly winning LBL (not to mention Lombardy)
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,069
    The same Sean Kelly who won the Vuelta and finished fourth in the Tour?

Kelly could climb with the best. Cancellara hasn't demonstrated a similar level of ability.
  • inkyfingers
    Steve2020 wrote:
    iainf72 wrote:

Doesn't seem much more surprising than Sean Kelly winning LBL (not to mention Lombardy)

I'd disagree actually, when Kelly was at the same stage of his career as Cancellara is now he had already won all the monuments except for Flanders, finished top 10 in both The Tour and The Vuelta and won Paris Nice a few times and more. Kelly could always climb well (though not a pure climber) as well as sprint and TT.

I've said throughout this thread that i think Cancellara is an exceptional rider and maybe he could win LBL with a bit of luck, but he's not Sean Kelly.
  • mididoctors
    I wouldn't be surprised if chinny just shows up at LBL and just rides off!
  • rick_chasey

I sense you big love in with the hefty Canc has been tempered with some cynicism?
  • mididoctors

I sense you big love in with the hefty Canc has been tempered with some cynicism?

well at least it has freaky jaw dropping entertainment value and he is incredibly focused I suppose..the issue is not so much "is he" as "when will he "

he is consummate "professional".. can ride a bike and all :wink:

12 yrs ago it wouldn't have bothered me

Fabian is one the upcoming year's big too watch this space stories

can he get over the hills or not?

adds interest but OTOH if he gets rumbled its all just another farce
  • Moontrane
    Moontrane Posts: 233
    iainf72 wrote:

We should all remeber that ride, ianf72!

Beijing Olympic RR was 150 miles with 11,500' of climbing. Fabian Cancellara was well in the mix, finishing 2nd.

2009 World's RR in Mendrisio was 163 miles with 15,273' of climbing. Cancellara was 5th and one of the main protagonists.

LBL is about 160 miles with 13,000' of climbing.

Cancellara can surely perform at the highest levels with the best of the hilly riders. He's looking for new worlds to conquer, and LBL and Lombardia are in his sights.
    I believe he'll win at least one of them
    Infinite diversity, infinte variations
  • Moontrane
    Moontrane Posts: 233
    iainf72 wrote:

We should all remeber that ride, ianf72!

Beijing Olympic RR was 150 miles with 11,500' of climbing. Fabian Cancellara was well in the mix, finishing 2nd.

2009 World's RR in Mendrisio was 163 miles with 15,273' of climbing. Cancellara was 5th and one of the main protagonists.

LBL is about 160 miles with 13,000' of climbing.

Cancellara can surely perform at the highest levels with the best of the hilly riders. He's looking for new worlds to conquer, and LBL and Lombardia are in his sights.
    I believe he'll win at least one of them
    Infinite diversity, infinte variations