David Lloyd Spin Class

chalkstorm
chalkstorm Posts: 84
edited November 2010 in Training, fitness and health
Hi all
Mate of mine is a member of David Lloyd gyms... and a regular at their spin classes. I've been dragged along to one - something new to me as more at home on a MTB...!
Daft question - I've got MTB SPD shoes and Road SPD SLs... do proper gym's accommodate for this sort of thing... or do they use toe-straps..?
Would ask him but he has buggered off on holiday.
Thanks
Si

Comments

• Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    I've only ever seen toe-straps on spin bikes
  • paulgw
    paulgw Posts: 135
    I did spin classes at my local DLs for a while. The bikes there had old style toe clips on one side and SPD clipless on the other. If in doubt, you could always pole up with regular trainers on but have some SPD cleated shoes to change into if the pedals took them.

IMHO the spinning is a lot better in proper cycling shoes.
  • paulgw wrote:
    I did spin classes at my local DLs for a while. The bikes there had old style toe clips on one side and SPD clipless on the other. If in doubt, you could always pole up with regular trainers on but have some SPD cleated shoes to change into if the pedals took them.

Thanks Paul...

I lied - I did do a spin class on a cruise ship lats year - which prompted my question - they had toe straps one side, SPD's on t'other.

I suppose I'd have to clean the mud off.. and dry my MTB shoes though!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    I would sincerely hope that a David Lloyd centre will have spin bikes equipped with spd pedals... if not complain.. the money they charge
  • chalkstorm
    chalkstorm Posts: 84
    edited October 2010
    Just had it confirmed.... SPDs....

:D
    PS - not a member - just a visiting guest.... couldn't/wouldn't pay for gym membership with lovely singletrack on my doorstep
  • twotyred
    twotyred Posts: 822
    I'm a former David Lloyd member and yes their spin bikes take SPDs. I used to have great amusement watching the plastic poseur cyclists turning up for their spin class in their tightest lycra and MTB shoes that had obviously never been worn outside. I was always tempted to join a class and turn up in my muddy SPD shoes and baggy shorts.
  • twotyred wrote:
    I was always tempted to join a class and turn up in my muddy SPD shoes and baggy shorts.

Might just have too..... Lake Vyrnwy off-piste the day before - and I remember the mud from last time!

8)
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    chalkstorm wrote:
    paulgw wrote:

Thanks Paul...

I lied - I did do a spin class on a cruise ship lats year - which prompted my question - they had toe straps one side, SPD's on t'other.

I suppose I'd have to clean the mud off.. and dry my MTB shoes though!

Is this 2009 vintage mud or have you been out more recently? :D
  • I was a spinning instructor at David Lloyd for 3 1/2 years and i grew to hate it.
    Dark days indeed!..
  • Fastlad
    Fastlad Posts: 908
    :lol: I did loads of spin classes about 5 years ago at Dave Lloyds, I too grew too hate it. 45 minutes in a sweatbox, germ-infested, airconditioned, poser filled wharehouse. In the end i took a stinking chest infection that plagued me for 3 months. I've never been to spin class or a gym since. Loathesome places. Give me a proper bike, towpaths, roads, forest tracks AND most importantly, fresh air and the elements!!! :wink:
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    <small voice>
    If you do find a 'good' class in a well managed gym with decent qualified non gym bunny instructors however...... I do admit those can be rarities
  • I was a spinning instructor at David Lloyd for 3 1/2 years and i grew to hate it.
    Dark days indeed!..

There is a gorgeous eastern european lady instructor with great abs who takes the spinning classes at my DL. Can't understand a word she says, but who cares :D

Mate gave me the tour of the gym - which was better than gym's I've seen in the past. He bought me a 14 day membership (trial I guess). Not sure I'll actually extend it though....

:D