Shimano M595 cutting hoses

Craig321
Craig321 Posts: 169
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi,

I'm finally going to order some olives and whatever else is needed to cut my M595 brake hoses.

I have been told it should be possibly without having to re-bleed, however I'd like to be prepared if it does go wrong and I have to re-bleed anyway.

I have Shimano Deore M595 brakes.

What olives/barbs/bleed kits will I/might I need to cut the brake hoses?

Thanks.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes you will need to bleed the brakes.

Download the manual as see what it says you need.

Also see the guide on Parktools.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Craig321
    Not sure if the manual I have is incomplete, or old (or bad!), but it doesn't say anything about cutting the hose.

I think I'll go ahead with the bleed, the Shimano bleed kit (which includes replacement oil) is only £10 or so.

Are there any other parts I'll need or can I bleed, cut & put back together?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    olives, barbs, hose clamps ( come with the kit) and a very sharp knife.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Craig321
    Ok, thank you. I'll actually double check my box as a lot of brakes come with spare olive & barb.

Will I need an olive/barb for my brakes/brake make or are they generally quite standard?

Thanks.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    which tech document are you looking at? Look at the one for the hydrolic brake hose, not the one for the actual brake should give good detail how you go about doing it. I did a few weeks back found it quite straight forward.
  • Craig321
    jairaj wrote:
    which tech document are you looking at? Look at the one for the hydrolic brake hose, not the one for the actual brake should give good detail how you go about doing it. I did a few weeks back found it quite straight forward.

Ah, ok. I'll have a look.

Just checked in the box and there is an olive & barb in there :)
  • Craig321
    Looks good, thanks very much.

This hose has been bugging me for a while. It's not long enough to need immediate cutting, but it's long enough to annoy me :roll: