Change rear suspension

coopsman1
coopsman1 Posts: 337
edited October 2010 in MTB workshop & tech
I am looking at changing my current setup of a Fox Triad unit to something along the lines of a for RP23.

Is this possible? The reason I ask is because this is my first full susser bike I it all seems like a dark art.

Many thanks.

Comments

• konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    Your replacement needs the same eye to eye measurement and shock stroke.

But is it worth it.
    Giant Reign X1
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    konadawg wrote:

But is it worth it.

It doesn't have to be the same eye to eye, although you will change the geometry if you go different - what bike is it on?
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • coopsman1
    coopsman1 Posts: 337
    benpinnick wrote:
    konadawg wrote:

But is it worth it.

It doesn't have to be the same eye to eye, although you will change the geometry if you go different - what bike is it on?

10 Specialized FSR XC Pro
  • wordnumb
    wordnumb Posts: 847
    So you'd need a 7.5x1.75. Not a common sizing unfortunately. Stumpys and FSRxcs are the only bikes I know of that use them.

Also, you do need the same eye-to-eye length, as that's what the frame is designed to run. You'd do better having your Triad tuned.
  • konadawg
    konadawg Posts: 447
    benpinnick wrote:
    It doesn't have to be the same eye to eye, although you will change the geometry if you go different

Minor matter therefore. :roll:
    Giant Reign X1
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    coopsman1 wrote:
    benpinnick wrote:
    konadawg wrote:

But is it worth it.

10 Specialized FSR XC Pro
    Stroke is a non-standard 1.75" on the 09/10 FSRxc so your best bet is to buy a standard shock from the likes of TFTuned/Mojo and get them to mod it for you (they will add a spacer) to reduce the stroke length.

They only charge a small additional fee if you buy the shock from them rather than sending them a shock to modify which you bought elsewhere.
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    A 7.5x2.0 should be fine, it would keep the geometry the same but give 137mm of travel, but It may make the seatstay bridge hit the seattube though, it depends on the frame.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy