9 speed power link on an 8 speed chain.....

PBo
PBo Posts: 2,493
edited October 2010 in The workshop
just noticed i'd made this mistake on a chain I've just removed.

Never noticed any problems!!!

Should I have? Have I worn out the chain/cassette more quickly because of it?

My instinct is that the slightly smaller spaces on a 9 spd cassette makes it a problem the other way round (8 speed pl on a 9 spd chain), but not so much this way round

Comments

• tywin1
    tywin1 Posts: 7
    9sp chains are narrower than 8sp chains, so I'm suprised you were able to get it to fit at all. If it did it may have been a bit jammy?

Weird. :)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The central part of the chain is the same width, the side faces wider on an 8, so yes, surprised it fitted, I highly doubt its caused a problem, some people run lighter 9 speed chains on 8 speed bikes (are you sure its not a 9speed chain?)

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    The central part of the chain is the same width, the side faces wider on an 8, so yes, surprised it fitted, I highly doubt its caused a problem, some people run lighter 9 speed chains on 8 speed bikes (are you sure its not a 9speed chain?)

Simon

Maybe - can't remember if I replaced the chain myself, or if it was done for me when serviced.....but I added the powerlink at a separate time.

oh well, chains gone now, an d new chain came with own link, so I was just curious really....