Turbo Noise Reduction Tips

woody1545
woody1545 Posts: 322
Hi,

I've just bought a new Jet Fluid Pro Turbo Trainer. Its great with two minor draw backs:
1. My wife objects to the sweat lake in the living room and
2. My wife objects to the jet engine noise in the living room

Bike Radar reckon its the quietest turbo they've ever tested so I expected it to be....well quiet? I've never owned one before so obviously have nothing to compare it to.

I'm sure the fact that I'm using it on stripped floor boards isn't helping. I've seen Tacx mats for sale which are meant to absorb some of the sound and vibration but they're at least £60!

Does anyone have a cheaper alternative that works? Underlay or something?

I'm using an old Specialized Mondo Tyre, would a turbo specific trainer make much difference?

Thanks for your advice!

P.S No, I don't own a garage to use it in.

Comments

• taz3611
    taz3611 Posts: 172
    I got some of these. Pack of 4, only need 2. Go halves with a mate and it'll be a tenner each. Argos no. 302/4306

c7458cca.jpg
  • dave35
    dave35 Posts: 1,124
    easiest solution is to get a new wife.
    Or switch to rollers instead,never come across a completely silent turbo-try a yoga mat only £5 from tesco.
  • Dalton
    Dalton Posts: 265
    Hi, I am new to Turbo training. Only got mine this week. However I amazed how much difference a Turbo specific tyre made to the noise level.

I purchased this one....

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Conti ... 360017042/

Works a treat!
  • batch78
    batch78 Posts: 1,320
    Camping roll mat works a little for me, or foam of any description would probably help, turbo tyre is supposed to help a lot but not actually got one myself.

My biggest problem is the amount of rubber shrapnel!!!
  • hi ive got a turbo i use it every day if its noisy just turn the music up !
    going downhill slowly
  • Bronzie
    Bronzie Posts: 4,927
    woody1545 wrote:
    1. My wife objects to the sweat lake in the living room
    Get a nice big fan as well as some foam matting. It will make your sessions just that bit more comfortable.
  • bilirubin
    bilirubin Posts: 225
    To be honest mate I think you are seeking the holy grail.

You said:
    1. My wife objects to the sweat lake in the living room and
    2. My wife objects to the jet engine noise in the living room

Unless you live on your own I would have thought the last place to do a turbo session was in a living room, any turbo will make some noise, you are not going to find a way to make it silent enough so your wife can read, talk on the phone or watch TV.

I have a jet fluid pro, but I am lucky enough to have a garage where I can sweat and make as much noise as I like.
  • ut_och_cykla
    ut_och_cykla Posts: 1,594
    My tip would be to get out of the living room... the hall, the kitchen, a box room, the garage anywhere apart from the living room! Get a sleeping mat for the turbo, a big fan for cooling as all have suggested (Someone I know built a sort of paddling pool /trough base for thier turbo - wooden frame, plastic flooring as watertight cover) - but get out of the living room. Even out of doors (under an eave or similar) might be ok - there's no wind chill or risk of icy crashes on a turbo.
  • Avoid ear-plugs.jpg
    with Picture%201.png
    Giant Rapid 3