Glasses

Lancslad
Lancslad Posts: 307
edited October 2010 in Commuting general
I wear glasses however they dont provide much protection (running eyes)at 4.30 am like my oakley prescription sunglasses did during the summer when it was light(its to dark to wear them now) Does anyone know of some clear cycling glasses I could wear over my ordinary glasses? I ride a tricross for the commute and an orbea at other times so I dont want goggles!!

Thanks
Novice runner & novice cyclist
Specialized Tricross
Orbea (Enol I think)

Comments

• sc999cs
    sc999cs Posts: 596
    The problem with wearing cycling glasses over ordinary glasses is that the lenses are further away from your face and it'll still allow the cold air to get in to your eyes.

Have you considered getting some prescription glasses made up? You can buy frames which have an Rx insert for prescription lenses which will allow you to take advantage of clear lenses, yellow lenses etc.
    Steve C
  • Lancslad
    I was looking for a cheapish option really with christmas coming up + my two boys b'days and the fact that my prescription oakleys didnt give me much change out of £300 and I made wiggle platinum this year.
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • sc999cs
    Daily disposable contact lenses - work out around £1 a pair???

Alternatively would something like these or these be suitable?
    Steve C
  • RufusA
    RufusA Posts: 500
    Had the same problem - two sets of plastic lenses in winter is IMHO very difficult to manage as you always seem to get mist between the outer and rx which is very difficult to clear. Throw in dark lanes and dazzling headlights and your vision is dangerously comprimised.

I swapped from glasses to daily disposables last year, and haven't looked back. Very easy to manage - can buy £10 cycle eyewear now, and vision has improved.

I now use daysoft contact lenses and pay a tenner a month delivered for them, just over 30p a day!

Rufus.
  • squired
    squired Posts: 1,153
    I have Oakley prescription lenses. For the summer I have the dark lenses and for the winter I have the clear lenses. If you can afford them they are a brilliant option. My Oakleys are the type where you can change the lenses, which does save a little on the expense. So, if you can do the same I'd be tempted to try that option. You'd definitely not regret it.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    I know it is not really a reply but at fifty I finally decided to consider contacts, I thought daily disposables were what I needed until I visited specsavers (who I have always used), I was advised monthly disposables.

WOW have they come a long way, I can put them in on the first day of the month and change them on the last, sleep in them and not worry, how life has changed.

Wouldn't touch daily disposables when the new monthly disposables are here.

Now for the first time I have FIVE pairs of Block sunglassers and the superb Endura Spectrum Blue Semi-Mirror shown on this site, what value for money.

I will NEVER again wear glassers, try a months FREE trial at specsavers, yes FREE months trial you wont look back.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Lancslad
    Thanks for the replies. I think i'll look into contacts then. I had them about 15 years ago but they said i could only wear them 8 hours and it was a right faff. Also the thought of having more than one pair of sunglasses does appeal :D My oakleys arent lense changable because I got them before I started cycling. The other thing is if my eyes get any worse I wont be able to have prescription sunglasses because of the lense curvature so I would be stuck with 'coloured glasses' which neither look good(imho) nor offer much protection.
    I had not thought of the misting up properties of wearing two sets of lenses, re. rufasA's post.

thats enough rambling for now :oops:
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    I can't get monthly stay in contacts for my astigmatism so I've got daily disposables. TBH, I rarely use them as I just find them a hassle. It's much easier to put my glasses on.

My Oakley for cycling have transition lenses; clear in the dark and tinted when the sun is up.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • jeremyrundle
    I would never go back to glassers, having the freedom to walk to the car and drive in the cold, bike in the rain and cold and walk generally without keep cleaning my glassers is worth the cost. I only wish I had used contacts years ago.

What put me off was daily fingers in eyes, but 10 minutes a month,,,,,,,............YES!

• jeremyrundle
    Surely toric contacts are for astigmatisim are they not.

http://www.lenstore.co.uk/cooper-vision ... -toric_p87

Monthly torric, Specsavers do them.

• Greggyr
    Greggyr Posts: 1,075
    I've got a pair from Optilabs, not cheap but very good, and probably half the price of the Oakleys
  • Greggyr wrote:
    I've got a pair from Optilabs, not cheap but very good, and probably half the price of the Oakleys
    +1 for optilabs, I got a photochromic pair so I can wear them all year round.
    'Hello to Jason Isaacs'
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440

That's new. Previously they have never been available for my axis.

Lenses have their advantages but I still prefer my glasses.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • pshore
    pshore Posts: 61
    Lancslad wrote:
    I wear glasses however they dont provide much protection (running eyes)at 4.30 am like my oakley prescription sunglasses did during the summer when it was light(its to dark to wear them now) Does anyone know of some clear cycling glasses I could wear over my ordinary glasses? I ride a tricross for the commute and an orbea at other times so I dont want goggles!!

Thanks

Running eyes - I get that, much worse in cold air. Ironically, it's actually dry eyes that cause that problem according to my contact lense guru at specsavers. I've had it diagnosed in hospital too. I found that too much caffiene can cause my eyes to dry out so cutting back on the cups of tea really helps.

Contact lenses are the ideal solution because they don't fog up in the mist or rain and if you need protection or sunglasses you can buy the cheap ones and take them off mid ride.

If you go the contact lense route give dailies a go. All that cleaning is a pain but I found daily disposables made my eyes dry out too much and get on much better with monthlies. If I am having a dry spell I use Viscotears gel drops in each eye before I put contacts in and it means I can wear them a lot longer.

Hope that helps,
    Phil.
  • Not sure that this helps you, but I had the same problem and decided to go for Oakleys with prescription transition lenses. The coverage is just as great as you'd expect, but now I can where them in any light. Not cheap - from memory I think they were around £240 - but worth it for me. I've also tried the contact lens option and just didn't get on with them. For me they got dry very quickly and any dust really irritated my eyes.
  • Not sure that this helps you, but I had the same problem and decided to go for Oakleys with prescription transition lenses. The coverage is just as great as you'd expect, but now I can where them in any light. Not cheap - from memory I think they were around £240 - but worth it for me. I've also tried the contact lens option and just didn't get on with them. For me they got dry very quickly and any dust really irritated my eyes.
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788

Been using monthly disposal torics (Purevision) for a few years now but only sleep in them a few nights a week. Fantastic product :)
  • I tried contacts abut 12 years ago but I could not get used to the touching my eye with my fingers.

Are newer ones easier to get in and out?
    Giant Escape M1....
    Penny Farthing
    Unicycle
    The bike the Goodies rode
    Pogo Stick
    Donkey on Roller skates.......OK I'm lying, but I am down to one bike right now and I feel bad about it,
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Went for daily disposables, too.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Lancslad
    I was regarded to have dry eyes which is why I could only wear them eight hours and they are probably still the same but i'll look into it and if it doesnt work I'll get some transitions. I didnt know coffee could cause dry eyes, I drink rather a lot of it :oops: I keep meaning to cut back but tea just doesnt taste as good!

I'm about ready for some fresh glasses anyway
    Specialized Tricross
    Orbea (Enol I think)
  • sc999cs
    I tried contacts abut 12 years ago but I could not get used to the touching my eye with my fingers.

Are newer ones easier to get in and out?

Depends on the type. My old ones are quite flexible and I found it difficult to get the left one in. My latest type are silicon based and far less flexible. As a result they are so much easier to put in. Explain to an optician that you used to have problems and get their recommendation.
    Steve C
  • redhanded
    redhanded Posts: 139
    I wear gas permeable contact lenses but always wear (non-prescription) glasses when commuting anyway because of all the dust and general crap that can get into my eyes, particularly in the summer. There is nothing worse that getting some dust or grit in behind the lens.

I don't know if soft lenses also suffer from this but my optician as advised me to stick with the gas permeables as I've been wearing them for years (yes, I do take them out everyday... :wink: ) and my eyes have got used to them.