chuffed - my first century!

badly_dubbed
badly_dubbed Posts: 1,350
edited October 2010 in Road beginners
set out today to crack a personal milestone for myself and have a bit banter along the way with a few very good mates....the milestone was to cycle nonstop (bar a wee food stop) for 100 miles round the coast of fife

ended up clocking in at 104miles in 6hours - not bad id say quite happy :)

few pics - no start shots lol

half way quick food stop in St Andrews (around 55miles)
72995_154287647946034_100000943995747_250719_6788445_n.jpg

85mile mark in Milnathort for water refilling!
73249_154287864612679_100000943995747_250720_4934408_n.jpg

cracked the century!
39572_154277114613754_100000943995747_250700_6532624_n.jpg

and finished totaling 104miles back in Glenrothes 6hrs later! (me far right! :P)
66964_154288367945962_100000943995747_250722_3454654_n.jpg

Comments

• sundog
    sundog Posts: 243
    Well done, looks like a fantastic day out
    I like white bikes
  • badly_dubbed
    couldnt have asked for a better day weather and performance wise - absolutley perfect, loved every minute of it :D
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Well done bloke, what a lovely day for cycling. My first 100 is planned for next week in Exmoor, I suspect the weather won't be so clement.
  • briantrumpet
    briantrumpet Posts: 17,688
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Well done bloke, what a lovely day for cycling. My first 100 is planned for next week in Exmoor, I suspect the weather won't be so clement.
    Good luck on that one - I assume the Exmoor Beast - that'll be a long 100 miles!

Wll done b_d - a nice feeling doing your first one, and you couldn't have had a nicer day, if it was anything like it's been down here in Devon - cool but sparklingly clear. I did a mere 71 miles - the weather was too nice not to get out.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Congratulations! Doing the Century as part of a group looks like a great idea. When I did my first I did it solo, and I was totally unprepared for the range and depth of emotions it dredged up: anticipation at the start, a real sense of despair when I got slightly lost around 60 miles, apprehension that I might not finish before losing the light, and then the “jump ten feet in the air” at the end of it. I did mine as a linear rather than circular route (back by train) which made it a bit harder I think.
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • badly_dubbed
    crystal clear all day!

thanks for the kind words chaps! heres to the next one! :D
  • brilliant, well done and with a nip in the air too and a jolly good time....and not one of you looks shagged in. :wink:
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • Good job to all! =D

Looks like a quality day out
    exercise.png
  • jamlala
    jamlala Posts: 284
    Great acheivement you lot! I did my first 100 miler in the Essex 100 in early Sept in 6hrs 8 mis, I'll wager it was probably easier than yours was!! Signed up for the Dartmoor Classic in 2010 but only managed the 65 miler in the end, will do the longer one next year.......
    Cannondale Supersix 105 2013- summer bike - love it!
    Cannondale CAAD12 - racing fun!
    Trek Crockett 5 - CX bike, muddy fun!
    Scott Scale 940 MTB XC racer.
    __@    
    _`\<,_   
    ---- (*)/ (*)
  • Well done, I'm planning my first road bike 50 next Saturday on my own, and you have given me the lift I needed, thank you.
    Specialized Secteur Elite 2011 - SRAM Apex
    Specialized Rockhopper Comp 2008 - Shimano XT
    Mtbs for 12 years - now a newbie to the road - be gentle with me
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    well done, I did my first century this year today as well, from home in London to Brighton and back on my own. A quick stop off at the pier for a hot choc and restock of food, picked up 3 stones from the beach and headed for home. Got home with the last 5 miles in the dark I left late and had lights so no worries. A great day for a cycle. legs a bit sore now, with going over both north and south downs twice and a rolling section in between.
  • badly_dubbed
    Cheers for the kind words guys!

Well done to you also kieran, I couldn't imagine doing 100 solo right now haha!!
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    kieranb wrote:
    well done, I did my first century this year today as well, from home in London to Brighton and back on my own. A quick stop off at the pier for a hot choc and restock of food, picked up 3 stones from the beach and headed for home. Got home with the last 5 miles in the dark I left late and had lights so no worries. A great day for a cycle. legs a bit sore now, with going over both north and south downs twice and a rolling section in between.

You picked up 3 stone after the food stop? What did you eat? Sorry. Couldn't resist...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • kieranb
    :lol: that would have made the return leg a bit harder. The 3 pebbles are souvenirs for the family, foodwise I bought 2 flapjacks, at a good cafe stall by the pier, to fuel my cycle home, in total, just like Noah's Arc (2 by 2) I ate:

2 bananas
    2 chocolate geobars
    2 nature valley bars
    2 flapjacks

but drank 3 750cl bottles of PSP22 and a hot chocolate. Happily I didn't need my emergency energy gel. Then had 3 scrambled eggs, 2 slices of wholemeal toast, boiled potatoes, and yoghurt for dinner.
  • Headhuunter
    kieranb wrote:
    :lol: that would have made the return leg a bit harder. The 3 pebbles are souvenirs for the family, foodwise I bought 2 flapjacks, at a good cafe stall by the pier, to fuel my cycle home, in total, just like Noah's Arc (2 by 2) I ate:

2 bananas
    2 chocolate geobars
    2 nature valley bars
    2 flapjacks

but drank 3 750cl bottles of PSP22 and a hot chocolate. Happily I didn't need my emergency energy gel. Then had 3 scrambled eggs, 2 slices of wholemeal toast, boiled potatoes, and yoghurt for dinner.

Thats sounds fairly restrained actually. On century rides I tend to drink about 2x750ml of nrg drink and probably still have to stop off and refill somewhere before the end, although I suppose it's not that hot at the moment. I'd also probably eat 3 bananas + a small box of dried fruit + flapjacks or whatever bought mid way. At home I usually consume everything in the fridge. Then again some of the century rides I've been on have ended up at fairly breakneck speed...
  • kieranb
    yea, I think I could have done with eating more at the start but the food wasn't easy to get at (in back jersey pocket covered by tight fitting gillet) so to eat I often had to stop and I din't want to do that. Next time I will use of of those tri top tube food holders.
  • badly_dubbed
    For mine I ate:

2sachets of porridge
    Powerbar
    Protein shake
    Before heading out

On run I ate
    2 750ml water bottles with added salt
    2 further powerbars over the 6hours
    Energy shots - 1 packet
    Flapjack
    Hotchoc
    Energy smoothie - fat free yoghurt,banana and blueberry

Home

6egg whites scrambled
    1tin of tuna
    Protein shake
    2coffees
    Apple
  • Headhuunter
    For mine I ate:

2sachets of porridge
    Powerbar
    Protein shake
    Before heading out

On run I ate
    2 750ml water bottles with added salt
    2 further powerbars over the 6hours
    Energy shots - 1 packet
    Flapjack
    Hotchoc
    Energy smoothie - fat free yoghurt,banana and blueberry

Home

6egg whites scrambled
    1tin of tuna
    Protein shake
    2coffees
    Apple

Wow! That's a pretty big protein hit at the end...
  • badly_dubbed
    Prob about right 90-95g for the day with that amount of exercise :) I tend to consume more than the 1g per kg anyway :)
  • Headhuunter
    Prob about right 90-95g for the day with that amount of exercise :) I tend to consume more than the 1g per kg anyway :)

BTW why the 2 coffees? Is that just to warm you up and satisfy a need for cafeine or are you thinking of some other benefit?
  • badly_dubbed
    It wasn't one right after the other lol
    One when I got in and one prob a few hours later or so :)

No reason just like a coffee :)
  • Headhuunter
    It wasn't one right after the other lol
    One when I got in and one prob a few hours later or so :)

No reason just like a coffee :)

Oh OK, I thought you literally knocked back 2 espressos or something and that you knew something about coffee and recovery that I didn't...